Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hot water bypass is in with all the plumbing controls in the Kantleak panel. Winterizing can't get much easier
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The hot water bypass is in with all the plumbing controls in the Kantleak panel. Winterizing can't get much easier
    So if the bypass is at the Kantleak panel how does the antifreeze get to those 2 lines without antifreeze going into the hot water tank? I realize when you flip the switch for winterizing it's like a bypass valve but you have all that waterline not getting antifreeze. If those 2 lines are getting antifreeze you will have antifreeze going into the water tank unless there are shut off valves at the hot water tank. This is my first use with the Kantleak panel. Just my thoughts!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lucky View Post
    So if the bypass is at the Kantleak panel how does the antifreeze get to those 2 lines without antifreeze going into the hot water tank? I realize when you flip the switch for winterizing it's like a bypass valve but you have all that waterline not getting antifreeze. If those 2 lines are getting antifreeze you will have antifreeze going into the water tank unless there are shut off valves at the hot water tank. This is my first use with the Kantleak panel. Just my thoughts!

That's a good question. Hopefully they drain back into the water heater.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notsosan View Post
    That's a good question. Hopefully they drain back into the water heater.
    . I will be sending a email to the northeast rep. for Grand Design and hopefully get his answer and I will post it when he responses back to me.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea, never would have thought of that.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lucky View Post
    . I will be sending a email to the northeast rep. for Grand Design and hopefully get his answer and I will post it when he responses back to me.
    I got a answer back from the Northeast rep. for Grand Design. Here's what he said: Drain the hot water heater. This will clear out the pipes going to and from the hot water tank. Drain your low point drains. This will clear out your pipes. Bypass your hot water heater because it is really hard to get the flavor of the antifreeze out of the system especially once the hot water heater kicks on and cooks the antifreeze. It should take about 2 gallons of antifreeze to winterize your Reflection. The water pump switch allows for easy syphon into the winterization system. If necessary, pre-fill the hose when it is hooked up to the Anderson Brass connector with anti-freeze, using a funnel, to insure you are getting good pressure once the pump turns on and you have the hose immersed in the anti-freeze. Once the system is drained you do not have to put anti-freeze in the short section of pipes too and from the hot water heater because they drain back into the tank and then out the hole where the nylon plug goes. Pages 86-91 of our owners manual is excellent and more detailed.

I will be looking at my lines going to and from my hot water tank to see if they will allow for all the water to drain out. I really do not feel comfortable not having anti-freeze in those 2 water lines. So when you put the Kantleak switch on winterize I understand it does not let anti-freeze go to the water lines that go to and from the hot water tank. I have opened the latched door in the bottom lower left corner of the Hutch and can see the water lines coming off the hot water heater. Also pulling out a draw you can see a lot. Next week I will be winterizing and I will take the felt plywood panel off in my storage area so I can see everything completely and will get a better understanding of the Kantleak hookup. This is not my first RV so I understand winterizing really good. Just my first one with no bypass valves at the hot water tank. Living in New Hampshire you better make sure you get every line winterized. Last winter we had a stretch of weather that was zero or below at night time!

mauiboy1
    I am about to winterize my rig this weekend. I read the manual. It doesn't mention anything about draining the water heater and turning off the breaker, so i am sure glad I read this first.
    What bothers me is that the manual does say to drain the fresh water tank and leave it open. There is at least a 2-3" pipe there, and it doesnt seem to have any kind of protection to prevent bugs, snakes, and critters from climbing up that pipe and making a home for themselves in my fresh water tank. Am I not understanding something here?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauiboy1 View Post
    I am about to winterize my rig this weekend. I read the manual. It doesn't mention anything about draining the water heater and turning off the breaker, so i am sure glad I read this first.
    What bothers me is that the manual does say to drain the fresh water tank and leave it open. There is at least a 2-3" pipe there, and it doesnt seem to have any kind of protection to prevent bugs, snakes, and critters from climbing up that pipe and making a home for themselves in my fresh water tank. Am I not understanding something here?
    My understanding is to leave it open while winterizing. Then close it when you are done. That's what I am doing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So It's time to winterize and I removed the panel in the storage area to check out the miles of water lines and to see the maze at the backside of the Kantleak wall. So I followed my hot and cold line going to and from the hot water tank. Between the tank and Kantleak valves the 2 lines go into a u shape. GD tells me when you open everything the water will drain out of those 2 lines. Only if water travels uphill will mine drain. . I installed a hot water tank bypass kit today. I will blow out all my water lines and then I will hand pump antifreeze into all the lines. Then I will know I have antifreeze in the 2 lines running off the hot water tank. After that I will switch my Kantleak valve to winterize and do as the book says. With the cold weather we have here you got to make sure every line has antifreeze. I like the old water line setup in my other camper I had. This Kantleak panel has to many leak possibility's. O yes I found a leak coming off the back of the panel. It has the male end with a clamp. Real tight area to work in. Glad I bought a Shark-bite Pex clamp tool at home depot today. Along with the 1/2 inch clamps. Hopefully Today I will get to winterize.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do I need to do anything with the washer prep outlet if not used?

2014 Solitude 368RD
    VIN: 573FS3820E1101156

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast