User Tag List

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enhancing my Reese GooseBox

In order to make it easier to hitch up our Reese GooseBox, I painted a white stripe on both the hitch and in the truck-bed/tailgate. This white stripe makes it much easier to see my center-line alignment with my cab mounted camera.

Before I painted the hitch and the truck, I used white duct tape to test the idea first.

Here is a picture of my painted GooseBox, you can use your imagination to visualize a white stripe running from the tailgate to the Goose neck ball in the truck bed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190622_203007589.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	20941
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good idea. I dont know how well paint or tape would stick or last on my Line X in my truck.
    2016 Ram 3500 CTD
    2018 Reflection 367BHS
    Reese Goosebox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsgot9 View Post
    That is a good idea. I dont know how well paint or tape would stick or last on my Line X in my truck.
    I used a "self etching" primer (I love this stuff) under the white paint and it seems to be sticking real well to my factory bedliner. The paint inside the truck-bed is down, inside, a grove so it won't see much wear and the paint on the tailgate would be easy to refresh if it begins to wear too much.

I'll post pictures of the truck bed in a few days...
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo of the matching stripe in the Truck Bed...

Name:	Truck Bed Pinstripe 1 (1).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	20947
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did something similar. I put a two inch stripe of reflective tape down the center of the hitch and a like stripe down the center of my in bed toolbox. I just line up the two strips and back up.
    "Never give up, Never slow down, Never grow old, Never ever die young"
    (James Taylor)

2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BUT BUT BUT - what about those of us that can't stay between the lines? And as I cant paint worth a nickle my line would be crooked . So I just painted a dot - OK a squirt out of the rattle can to line up my 5th wheel hitch. BTW - I still cant hit it two times in a row. Ill just blame it on the truck

However it is very clever of you. I might even be able to hit it. Might paint a line anyway to better hook up the GN and horse trailer (GN too). Only problem is my truck is a crew cab and it tough to see in the bed at times. I wont mention that I am short too compounding the problem. Would it not be great for FORD to come out with an auto hitch set up like the parking one. Push a button and forget it - perfect every time.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    In order to make it easier to hitch up our Reese GooseBox, I painted a white stripe on both the hitch and in the truck-bed/tailgate. This white stripe makes it much easier to see my center-line alignment with my cab mounted camera.

Before I painted the hitch and the truck, I used white duct tape to test the idea first.

Here is a picture of my painted GooseBox, you can use your imagination to visualize a white stripe running from the tailgate to the Goose neck ball in the truck bed.

Name:	IMG_20190622_203007589.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	20941
    Why you sonafabitch.......YOU STOLE MY IDEA!! I've had them stripes on my GB and bed for over two years!! I wanna file a complaint with management!!

I hope you know I be funnin'.

Seriously though, this idea is good for lining up. But knowing when the receiver is over the ball was a problem for me - especially when I had to hitch up by myself and didn't have the wife to yell....uh....I mean, tell me when to stop. My RAM has a bed camera, but the sunlight reflection made it impossible to see when I was over the target. So......I took a speaker magnet, attached a threaded rod, and on top of the rod, I attached a tennis ball. I set the thingy on the ball and the magnet holds it in place. I back up and when the thingy gets rocked off the ball, I know I'm on it. It kinda looks like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Align...yABEgJ4FfD_BwE

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]