Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slide binding?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slide binding?

hi, i recently posted about finding my slide control panel. Thank you I found it and it is not throwing any codes. My question is this, why else could my slide be binding? it seems like the corner where the fridge is, is having a hard time coming in. I have greased it on the tracks with the proper lube but i am not sure what else i should do? The controller i have for the camper is a Lippert Componenet 13398-C2. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you conditioned the slide seals since you bought it?

The seals could be a bit "grabby".
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I haven't. How would i do this?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a seal conditioner available in a spray can. Spray on the foam and let it soak in.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try this. Thanks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I tried conditioning and it worked for two slides and then back to not coming in and now if it does,it is off time. I don't know what to do. I have never had this happen and there aren't any decent rv techs in town. Does anyone have any suggestions. This is really frustrating and sad..

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check under the bottom corners of the slide, especially the fridge side. Don’t know about the Momentum, but on our Reflection, there are corner “cushions” made of dense foam and glued to a piece of plastic that is screwed to the bottom leading edge of the slide. The one on the fridge side came loose and turned 90 degrees. This would bind on the seal and then ended up pinching the fridge propane line. It caused a jerky movement and even prevented the slide from retracting completely. I found this completely on accident - I was rodent proofing the under belly. The rig is now at the dealer for this and about a dozen other warranty issues.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    … there are corner “cushions” made of dense foam and glued to a piece of plastic that is screwed to the bottom leading edge of the slide. The one on the fridge side came loose and turned 90 degrees. This would bind on the seal and then ended up pinching the fridge propane line. It caused a jerky movement and even prevented the slide from retracting completely. I found this completely on accident - I was rodent proofing the under belly. The rig is now at the dealer for this and about a dozen other warranty issues.
    Can you (or anyone else) post a picture of the cushions. Not sure I understand where you're saying they are located. But it's clear that if you have them, they're worth keeping your eye on.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Can you (or anyone else) post a picture of the cushions. Not sure I understand where you're saying they are located. But it's clear that if you have them, they're worth keeping your eye on.
    Sorry I was not very clear. This on the exterior bottom of the slide. If I recall correctly. these "cushions" (for lack of a better word and my ignorance as to proper part name) are attached to a piece of trim underneath each corner of the slide. It's possible they are attached to the body and/or frame. In either case, when retracted, they appear to form a seal at each bottom corner of the slide and the frame. They are located just inside the bottom of the rubber slide. I wish I would have paid more attention - I was in a hurry and was tired after being on my back under the rig for 3 hours with Gorilla tape, copper mesh, Mouse Shield foam and the Pond and Stone spray foam. I only had the slide partially extended, so I can't be sure if it was attached to the bottom of the slide or if it was attached to the frame/main body under the slide floor. I did note one of these cushions at each of the corners/frame under all three slides. I'll see if I can find an image or part number after a little searching on the web. The rig is at the dealer about an hour away for warranty repairs, otherwise, I would take pictures.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My internet search was unrewarding. I did find one image on the Forrest River forum (image below) where it looks like there were remnants of a foam cushion just inside the bottom edge of the rubber slide seal. It appears this one was attached at the bottom of the vertical rubber seal, just below the slide room opening. On our 312, the fridge propane line enters here. Thinking back, the left bottom of the kitchen slide stuck out an inch or so more than the right side when fully retracted. I don't know if the hard plastic frame of this cushion was the cause or not, but it seams possible, especially once everything gets compressed in that area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5th wheel slide 2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	21003
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 06-28-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast