User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rollindowntheroad View Post
    Hello. I am not a Grand Design owner yet. I am wondering about the 150 series 5th wheels.

Looking at getting a 2019 F150, XLT, 3.5L ecoboost, 4x4, 145" wheel base, 20" tires, 6.5' bed, 3.55 rear axle, trailer tow package, but NOT the Max towing package, 1,772 lb. payload, super crew cab. The only thing I am missing is the transmission cooler. I will NOT be towing up and down any mountains. Currently living in Florida and will be there the majority of the year. Maybe summers in Northern Illinois where my daughter lives or North or South Carolina. A Travel Trailer would also suit my needs and would definitely be comfortable towing a TT. I have never owned a truck before so this is all new to me. I am just curious about these new 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels.

Wondering if any of you GD owners have purchased the 150 series 5th wheel and are actually towing it with a 1/2 ton truck?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
    (Almost) everything you need to know about matching a tow vehicle to a trailer is in this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Some of what I posted to you elsewhere is in that thread.

I urge you to do your homework on this topic--you don't want the wrong truck! (I had to buy two to get the right one--not the right way to do it.)

And this forum is the perfect place to discuss this topic.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the vehicle and RV manufacturers they sure don't make this process easy. Seems every where you look you get different numbers for each and every aspect you would need to calculate stuff. I guess there isn't a way for them to make it easy for us poor folk to understand.....lol

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the window sticker it has a 7000 lb gvwr package. Anyone know what that would be?
    That is the gross vehicle weight of your truck.

Truck fully loaded should not exceed 7000lbs.

Take 7000lbs and subtract the empty weight of the truck and that would give you your payload.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I do that then the payload is going to be higher than the 1,772 on the tire sticker. If I use that calculation then the payload is going to be just a little over 2,000 lbs. Which do I go by? Once again, sooooooo confusing. Will probably stick to getting a travel trailer. Sounds like that will be much easier.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I do that then the payload is going to be higher than the 1,772 on the tire sticker. If I use that calculation then the payload is going to be just a little over 2,000 lbs. Which do I go by? Once again, sooooooo confusing. Will probably stick to getting a travel trailer. Sounds like that will be much easier.
    The vehicle's payload capacity is printed on the door, that's it. The GVWR is 7000lbs. You can't calculate from a brochure or internet as options etc. change payload.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also figure on the driver weight, which I think was about 150 lbs. Where did you get the unladen weight of your specific truck? Generally you need to go to a scale to get the actual unladen weight.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vehicle's payload capacity is NOT, I REPEAT NOT, printed on the door.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @rollindowntheroad . . . I am just catching up to this thread.

As mentioned earlier, there is really only one 1/2 ton capable of hauling a small 5th wheel. This is the HDPP F150. It is the only half ton to come with LT tires, additional rear springs and a physically larger rear axle. There is a lot more to HDPP than just an additional oil cooler.

If you are considering a TT for your F150, the first limitation that you will run up against is the tongue weight. All half tons (even the HDPP) come with a Class IV hitch receiver rated at about 1200 lbs with a WDH. You need to plan for 15% tongue weight, so you will overload the hitch receiver with an 8000 lb TT.

Larger TTs are definitely into 3/4 ton territory because they need the Class V hitch. A HDPP F150 can actually carry/tow more 5th wheel than travel trailer.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vehicle's payload capacity is NOT, I REPEAT NOT, printed on the door.
    Look for the line on the yellow tire pressure label that says something like “occupants and cargo must never exceed ??? lbs” . . . that is your “payload” number.

It will be roughly equal to GVWR minus actual weight of the empty truck with full fluids.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 06-25-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tire sticker states 1,772 lbs.

To: cate&rob: When you say an 8,000 lb TT, is that dry weight or gross weight?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast