User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rollindowntheroad View Post
    The truck I saw says nothing about payload on either sticker on the front door. One sticker talks about tire information the other is front and rear axle weights. The tire one states that passengers and cargo should not exceed 1,772 lbs.
    That is the payload capacity of that truck. Substitute the word not with never. It has nothing to do with tires. It is simply the difference between unladen vehicle weight and GVWR. Not trying to argue, just stating fact.

Rob types faster than I.
    Last edited by Chiefblueman; 06-25-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: slow hand

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tire sticker states 1,772 lbs.

To: cate&rob: When you say an 8,000 lb TT, is that dry weight or gross weight?
    Rollindowntheroad - if you click on reply with quote in bottom right corner of the post you're quoting such as Cate&Rob, he will get a notification that you replied to him.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tire sticker states 1,772 lbs.

To: cate&rob: When you say an 8,000 lb TT, is that dry weight or gross weight?
    That would be gross weight. It might quite likely be less than GVWR but is your “going camping” actual trailer weight. About 12% to 15% of this number will be your tongue weight for stable towing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will NOT be towing up and down any mountains. Currently living in Florida and will be there the majority of the year. Maybe summers in Northern Illinois where my daughter lives or North or South Carolina.
    Unless you're planning on driving thru sand/mud, maybe you could re-consider the 4x4, FX4 and skid plates. Delete those and you'll pick up a little more payload capacity.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    That would be gross weight. It might quite likely be less than GVWR but is your “going camping” actual trailer weight. About 12% to 15% of this number will be your tongue weight for stable towing.

Rob
    So I guess I shouldn't believe Ford saying that with this truck it can tow 12,700 lbs.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will NOT be towing up and down any mountains. Currently living in Florida and will be there the majority of the year. Maybe summers in Northern Illinois where my daughter lives or North or South Carolina.
    You really don’t need to worry about this. The Ecoboost will handle any grade (up or down) that you can find in your area. We regularly tow the Appalachians through Tennessee with no problem. (coming down the Cumberland Gap with greased trailer brakes was “interesting” . . . but, the Ecoboost handled it . . . mostly engine braking all the way down )

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    That would be bumper pull towing according to Ford. Maybe I'll forget this whole thing and just buy a bicycle!!!!
    Last edited by rollindowntheroad; 06-25-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I guess I shouldn't believe Ford saying that with this truck it can tow 12,700 lbs.
    Ford (and all truck manufacturers) use 10% tongue weight in their “theoretical” calculations. Most TTs with storage, propane and batteries forward, will run higher than 10% tongue weight. 1,270 lbs (approximately the 1,200 referenced earlier) is 10% of a 12,700 lb TT weight.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch this video on "Matching your truck to rv

The vehicle's payload capacity is NOT, I REPEAT NOT, printed on the door.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want to thank everyone for their replies. I am just going to forget about trying towing anything! All this hype about towing capacities and towable RV's is ridiculous.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast