And fuel consumption...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    I know you said you don't want to break the bank, but I got F250 6.2 gas for $40,000, see my signature. For me going from a F150 to a 250 made a huge difference in towing. That price is in the same range as the f150
    Mark
    i think a half ton truck will work harder when towing than 3/4 ton truck, which will translate to worse mpg on something like F150. Honestly F-150 and F-250 are similarly priced. If I were shopping for a trcuk/trailer combo today I would go with at least F-250 or F-350 setup. The bigger trucks also give you better options for the future if you will want to upgrade to a bigger trailer or even a 5th wheel down the road.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2016 F150 5.0 Crew Cab stickered for 3k more than my 2018 F250 Crew Cab. With VERY similar options

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me personally I would go with a larger truck. I’m not too familiar with the imports that were mentioned in previous posts, however, it seems that if they were building something close to a 3/4 ton truck they would just label and sell it as a 3/4 ton truck. I am a Ford guy and will tell you that, in my opinion, there is a big difference between an F-150 and an F-250. In addition to chassis and power train considerations stopping is also critical. With the bigger trucks you get more capable brakes and typically some type of engine/exhaust braking. Sway control/weight distributing hitch will be important no matter which truck you use. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a Transcend 26rls that is about 400 lbs. heavier with a 2015 F150 3.5 ecoboost. I have the Blue Ox hitch and it pulls it great. Gas mileage is about 9 mpg. The ecoboost has a very broad torque curve with 90% down at 1500 rpms.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jflores View Post
    wanting to buy a GD2800BH, great floorplan for the family. want to tow it with a Ford F150 V8. dont want to break the bank with a Ford F250 or higher..

just recommendation for towing package and gear for using an F150 V8 if its feasable driving down the road.

or perhaps what other truck compatible to the Ford F150 v8
    Please take a look at this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Of special interest to you is the PDF created by Ford to help you choose the right truck for your application.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a 1/2 truck is at the limit when towing something like a 2800BH. When I bought, I was really torn between a 150 and 250. What pushed me to a 150 was about $12,000 in rebates and incentives that the 3/4 ton trucks usually don't have. Before I signed the paperwork, I looked at my wife and asked if she was going to be happy with a 2400BH or a rockwood minilite 2509S. She was, and we haven't looked back. I have enough payload room that I really don't have to think about loading too much even as the kids get bigger. However if we ever decide to upgrade travel trailers, the tow vehicle will be upgraded as well. By the time that happens, I'll probably have a car for a daily driver so I'm not getting 12mpg all day, every day.

I also wouldn't bother with the 5.0 in a ford. If you look at the towing packages, there is a reason they come with the 3.5L ecoboost. It's a much better engine for towing. Torque kicks in at a much lower RPM.

Numbers for thought: The 2800 has a max gross weight just under 8000lbs. At gross, with 15% of the weight on the hitch which is ultra conservative but not out of the question with that huge pass through you're looking at a tongue weight of close to 1200lbs. My XLT FX-4 with Max tow has a payload of 1775. If I were towing that trailer, my family alone puts the truck at max payload limit and at 2 and 4 years old, they're only going to get bigger. Additionally, I think the class 4 hitch on the 150 has a limit of around 1200lbs with weight distribution. This is a big reason I started looking at the 2400, and the lack of floor space there is why I went with the murphy bed of the rockwood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2800bh

Quote Originally Posted by jflores View Post
    wanting to buy a GD2800BH, great floorplan for the family. want to tow it with a Ford F150 V8. dont want to break the bank with a Ford F250 or higher..

just recommendation for towing package and gear for using an F150 V8 if its feasable driving down the road.

or perhaps what other truck compatible to the Ford F150 v8
    We have 2800BH and used our Chevy 1500 V8 the weight of the truck got bounced around when pulling up next to a 18 wheeler. Getting between 2 18 wheelers was like a washing ma home. Bought a diesel 2500 HD GMC and love it. It’s more about the weight of the towing vehicle.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just bought the Reflection 287RTS and then bought a 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 with Max Towing Package. They are telling us it will tow 11,000 lbs which is about 2000 more than we need. Please tell me we did the right thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfcduc View Post
    They are telling us it will tow 11,000 lbs which is about 2000 more than we need.
    They will tell you whatever you need to hear to close the sale. The only way to know is to hitch up and go get weighed
    2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
    • B&W Compainion
    • Trimble Suspension
    • Ownice Navigation

2018 Grand Design Reflection 28BH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast