Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a problem with front axle weight

Hi ! Everyone we just returned from our shakedown trip with our 297RSTS and stopped at the Cat Scales on the way home. My drive axle went from 3240 to 4680. My steer axle went from 4080 to 3740. I felt the steering was a little funny when the wind kicked up a little. One time I felt the trailer sort of go side to side and was travelling about 55 mph. Is there too much weight off the front axle. I checked wheel well measurements with and without the hitch engaged and front wheel well only changed about 1/4 in.. I thought about adding another chain link but then I would not have the recommended 5 hanging links. I thought this might transfer more weight to the front axle. Is this wrong or right?
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Hi ! Everyone we just returned from our shakedown trip with our 297RSTS and stopped at the Cat Scales on the way home. My drive axle went from 3240 to 4680. My steer axle went from 4080 to 3740. I felt the steering was a little funny when the wind kicked up a little. One time I felt the trailer sort of go side to side and was travelling about 55 mph. Is there too much weight off the front axle. I checked wheel well measurements with and without the hitch engaged and front wheel well only changed about 1/4 in.. I thought about adding another chain link but then I would not have the recommended 5 hanging links. I thought this might transfer more weight to the front axle. Is this wrong or right?
    I think you have reduced too much weight off of the front axle. I have mine setup to be within less that 100 lbs difference. Not sure what hitch you have but think you may need to angle the head a bit to get the minimum number of links.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Calbar ! I'm using the Reese Strait Line hitch. I thought there should be less weight removed from steer axle.
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Reese recommends no less than 5 links between the cam and snap up bracket. If that is already at 5 links, then the OP would need to tilt the head assembly back another notch or 2. Most of the weight needs to be put back on the steer axle.

When changing the head assembly tilt,
    the cams need to be repositioned in the spring arm crooks. That is another critical component in keeping sway at bay.

I had a Reese Straight Line Dual Cam on my previous bumper pull trailer. It was a pain to get dialed in, but once that happened it did great on the road.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Thanks Calbar ! I'm using the Reese Strait Line hitch. I thought there should be less weight removed from steer axle.
    I also have the Reese Straightline hitch. Love the system. I am at 5 links from the top not the cam (I hook up the 5th link from the top of the chain). On first setup I was really close. Only about 100 lbs came off of the front axle. I tilted the head back one more tooth. I have 1500 lb bars with mine.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Reese straightline, I went to a one inch raised hitch ball that really helped. If you adjust the tilt on the hitch head, be sure the serrations are the same on both sides and tighten per instructions. Mine slipped once and damaged the serrations which turned into a pain to file back into shape.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MtnGuy This was a dealer setup. I still want to measure to top of ball receiver with trailer level and set the ball 1/2 to 3/4 in higher. I am at the fourth link from the top of the chain. I have 1500lb bars.
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Calbar. I also have the 1500 lb. bars. This was a dealer setup and they had me at four links from the top of chain and five links from the cam. This is a little confusing about the top or the bottom. I did go one more link from top after weighing to go back to storage lot. It felt better but did not really go far enough to really tell for sure. I should have weighed one more time after that.
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bob/OlallaWa for your input. I'm not sure what you mean by a raised one inch hitch ball. I did find out that setup should be Ball at least 1/2 inch higher than a level trailer ball receiver. I'm four links from top of chain and five links from the cam. I also know the crook in the bar has to settle perfectly on the cam.
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your confusion on the chains from end of bar to trailer tongue. Reese calls for 5 links minimum under tension between the flip up saddles and the bars to keep things from hitting while turning. They do not talk about loose links at the top end of chain. Mine is an older setup so wording may have changed a bit. My truck settles about 1 1/2 inches at the rear when hitch is set up right so the ball needs to be 1 1/2 inches higher than level trailer couple height.
    The raised ball comment is the base of the ball has a one inch extra height. This provides extra space for hitch parts movement while turning and not hitting
    and bending things. Not a lot of room with the trailer coupler welded to the top of 6 or 8 inch tongue frame. Lots of problems a few years back with bending or breaking the older style dual cam arms when turning while on uneven surfaces.
    Last edited by Bob/OlallaWA; 06-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast