Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Thanks again Calbar. I also have the 1500 lb. bars. This was a dealer setup and they had me at four links from the top of chain and five links from the cam. This is a little confusing about the top or the bottom. I did go one more link from top after weighing to go back to storage lot. It felt better but did not really go far enough to really tell for sure. I should have weighed one more time after that.
    I just checked. I am at 5 links from the bar. I also had to tilt my head back. Talked to Reese tech help and can tilt the head back as far as it goes if needed and not use all the serrations. I also don't have a raised ball. I think you just need to adjust the tilt.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Bob I'll be checking all this info before my next outing.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank's again Calbar I'll be checking this all out before my next outing.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Thanks MtnGuy This was a dealer setup. I still want to measure to top of ball receiver with trailer level and set the ball 1/2 to 3/4 in higher. I am at the fourth link from the top of the chain. I have 1500lb bars.
    The dealer setups are notorious for not being setup correctly. I requested a Reese Straight Line Dual Cam 800 lb trunnion bar setup on my Surveyor in 2008, not realizing that the service department had never set 1 of those up before. After installing the unit, they stood back and said that is looked like it was setup correctly. When I got a chance to weigh the combo at my local quarry, I realized they had only put about 60 lbs of the lost 300 lbs on the front axle. I ended up tilting the head assembly back several notches, as well as having to move the snap-up brackets further back then what they had done.

Those 1500 lb bars may be a bit much for that trailer, but if it the truck doesn't feel too stiff in back then you should be OK. Once you get the weight back on the front axle, you will tell a difference with those stiff bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    The raised ball comment is the base of the ball has a one inch extra height. This provides extra space for hitch parts movement while turning and not hitting
    and bending things. Not a lot of room with the trailer coupler welded to the top of 6 or 8 inch tongue frame. Lots of problems a few years back with bending or breaking the older style dual cam arms when turning while on uneven surfaces.
    I had the perfect storm on my setup for the rub problem: Coupler mounted on top of an 8" tongue frame, plus the tongue frame was not on the same plane as the trailer........it was tilted up towards the coupler. After emailing the Cequent Group, someone called me back (they always called back, maybe because they don't want a written record of what was said ??) and decided that a raised ball would help. I went with a 15,000 lb raised ball that I found at tractor supply (it was made to be used as a goose ball) that helped the situation.

The rub problem I had:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-24-09 Download 003a.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	21173

Cequent sent me another head assembly after 1 of trunnion bar "pockets' almost "blew out".........they immediately sent me a new head assembly after I sent the pictures of the problem. The new head assembly had a more raised ball platform, which allowed me to just use a 1" raised ball instead of the 2". After all of the modifications, I still was very careful in not turning too sharp when backing into a camping site.

Picture showing the old unit on the left (with the upper bar pocket "blowed out", and the new head assembly with the extra rise on the right. I don't think the old style head assembly is being sold now. I was able to use a 1" raised ball with the new setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5477.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	21174

IMHO, the round bar setup is best used on a trailer where the coupler is mounted to the top of the A-frame, and the trunnion setup is best used when the couple is mounted on the bottom of the A-frame. The only problem with that is that the round bar setup only goes up to 1200 lb bars, but those may be sufficient for a trailer with a listed 795 lb tongue empty weigh and 9995 GVWR rating. the only way to know is load up the trailer and get a tongue weight. If over 1100 lbs, then the 1500 lb. bars will probably work fine. And if the OP does not have a rub problem, then all is good.

I would never make any changes not covered in the instruction manual without getting an OK from Cequent. The guys I talked to were always prompt with calling me back, aware of the problems, and gave suggestions on how the solve the problems.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12