User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another New 22MLE pickup....

1st time Rv'er. My wife and I did A LOT of research and found that Grand Design got the most positive comments regarding quality and customer service. We bought our 22MLE from Campers Inn located in Acworth, GA. Paid 26k for the 2021 model. We loved the layout and size. Big enough for just the two of us and for most, if not all state camp grounds

For our 1st and only trip for 2020 we went to Tugaloo State Park. The only bad thing is that we now have to wait until April for our next trip. I have discovered that you must plan trips well in advance to get into a campground. I am not sure if this is due to COVID-19 or just the norm. That said, we have a trip-a-month planned from April through November. Highly recommend ALLSTAYS.COM and https://www.campsitephotos.com/ for your planning.

Since both my wife and I are still working, we are limited to long weekends for now, but we have a 2-week trip planned for the following year to Maine and Nova Scotia.

We do not and have not purchased a tow vehicle yet, although I was looking at a Toyota Tundra which should be more than adequate. The big three domestics scare me for their poor quality and reliability. Toyota is rock solid on both counts. Unfortunately, this is the last year for the 5.7 V8. I think for 2022, Toyota is going for the twin turbo 3.5 v6. I have read rumors about a diesel (my preference) but I doubt it. For now, since we have about 20 days of camping scheduled, I found that renting (Enterprise) a 3/4 ton truck for about $85/day and 200 free miles per day is better than having a large car payment and all that goes with owning a truck. When we retire, I will get a truck and maybe a bigger trailer, but for now this works for us.

The only issue so far is the gray water LED meter always shows 50% and the basement doors cannot be locked with the key. Not a big deal for now, but I will address these issues in April.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 21BHE and our initial TV was a Tacoma. It pulled the trailer fine on flat and smaller rolling hills, but really struggled on most other hills. With a 20 gallon fuel capacity, we were filling it every 150-175 miles. Living in New England we knew we were going to encounter hills no matter where we went. I was concerned about the toll on the truck. We switched to a Tundra and other than the gas millage dropping to 9.5mph (same as the V6 Tundra when pulling rig) it barely notices the trailer is behind it. I can't speak for the "big three domestics", I know many people love them, but the Tundra is a great Tow Vehicle.

As far as finding places to camp, have you considered Harvest Hosts or boondocking in state forests. We love Harvest Hosts, they are usually our first choice when looking for places to stay. We are also going to try to take advantage in Army COE sites in 2021.
    Last edited by stevekuzmeski; 12-26-2020 at 04:18 AM.
    Steve Kuzmeski
    2017 Toyota Tundra
    2019 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    1st time Rv'er. My wife and I did A LOT of research and found that Grand Design got the most positive comments regarding quality and customer service. We bought our 22MLE from Campers Inn located in Acworth, GA. Paid 26k for the 2021 model. We loved the layout and size. Big enough for just the two of us and for most, if not all state camp grounds

For our 1st and only trip for 2020 we went to Tugaloo State Park. The only bad thing is that we now have to wait until April for our next trip. I have discovered that you must plan trips well in advance to get into a campground. I am not sure if this is due to COVID-19 or just the norm. That said, we have a trip-a-month planned from April through November. Highly recommend ALLSTAYS.COM and https://www.campsitephotos.com/ for your planning.

Since both my wife and I are still working, we are limited to long weekends for now, but we have a 2-week trip planned for the following year to Maine and Nova Scotia.

We do not and have not purchased a tow vehicle yet, although I was looking at a Toyota Tundra which should be more than adequate. The big three domestics scare me for their poor quality and reliability. Toyota is rock solid on both counts. Unfortunately, this is the last year for the 5.7 V8. I think for 2022, Toyota is going for the twin turbo 3.5 v6. I have read rumors about a diesel (my preference) but I doubt it. For now, since we have about 20 days of camping scheduled, I found that renting (Enterprise) a 3/4 ton truck for about $85/day and 200 free miles per day is better than having a large car payment and all that goes with owning a truck. When we retire, I will get a truck and maybe a bigger trailer, but for now this works for us.

The only issue so far is the gray water LED meter always shows 50% and the basement doors cannot be locked with the key. Not a big deal for now, but I will address these issues in April.
    I'm pulling a 21bhe with a Chevy Colorado (3.6L V6 4WD and towing package) and while I know the trailer is there it pulls fine. 10-11 mpg towing and on average 26 (have gotten as high as 29.8) when not towing. If my usual towing area was in mountains out west I'd go to a full size but otherwise it works well. In addition it's been a lot more trouble free than my Toyota Sienna was (3 broken springs [at different times], water pump, power steering, oil cooler all in under 60k miles). Like you I used to think Toyota quality was better, but the last Sienna convinced me that is no longer true.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the group and 22mle gang. I hope you'll love it as much as we love ours. When going to Nova Scotia I hope that you have touring Cape Bretton Island in your plans. That was the highlight of our Martime tours a few years ago. Can't wait to go back. Maine is on our radar when the borders will open up again. I can send you a few tips and hidden gems about Cape Bretton if you like, just PM me.
    The last time I hit the scale, we were going on a 5 day trip, had 1/3 fresh water and our tongue weight was 760. Our Payload is 1426, minus tonneau cover and
    Linex so we don't have much left after DW and I are in with tools, geny and a few things. When its windy I get pushed around a little. We feel some bouncing on some roads. Might be getting RAS to help out with the bouncing. I think any 1/2 will pull it and be within towing parameters but you need to really keep an eye on your payload. Its the #1 killer for 1/2 tons. If you can maybe look at a 3/4 you won't regret it.
    As for the tank sensors, they have a really good track record at failing or misreading. Stuff just gets stuck on the sensors. Yours being new, you should still get it check.
    Lookup kleantanks geo method. That's what we've been using and its working out great. Lots of members recommend it.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

Until we get our own tow vehicle, I think Harvest Host and boondocking will have to wait, although this is something we really want to do. I found out about Harvest Host from watching KYD (Keep your day dream) on youtube. Sounds like a lot of fun one-night boondocking at wineries and farms.

Mitch and Alisa Frank
    22MLE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

Until we get our own tow vehicle, I think Harvest Host and boondocking will have to wait, although this is something we really want to do. I found out about Harvest Host from watching KYD (Keep your day dream) on youtube. Sounds like a lot of fun one-night boondocking at wineries and farms.

Mitch and Alisa Frank
    22MLE
    Congratulations on your new 22mle and welcome from Maryland!
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Congratulations on your new 22mle and welcome from Maryland!
    Tigger, noticed your signature of 22mle and Andersen. Any complaints on Andersen WDH with this setup?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadlife View Post
    Tigger, noticed your signature of 22mle and Andersen. Any complaints on Andersen WDH with this setup?
    No problems to report with this setup. I like the fact that it’s light, quiet, and goes on/off easily.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the 22MLE cult.

I had a problem with the outside locks that I resolved by adjusting the "locking bar" (?). They work fine now but I'm leaning toward replacing the locks with a different model. Seems nearly everyone in the RV world has a key that fits my locks.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    No problems to report with this setup. I like the fact that it’s light, quiet, and goes on/off easily.
    4 inch or 8 inch drop/rise?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast