Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable Holding Tank

My wife and I are new to this long haul fifth wheel type living. We will be leaving Ohio in mid November for about four months. We will be heading south to Louisiana for about a month. After that, we are going west, up the Pacific Coast, eventually east, back to Ohio. The question I have for the veterans, is, does it make any sense to take one of those portable holding tanks with us. Or, should we just plan on moving the rig to a dump station when necessary ? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Northfield Center, Ohio

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on many things. Do you camp with limited hookups (no sewer)? Are you only staying one night and moving on? I looked into the blue totes, and after browsing the RV forums, came to the conclusion that I did not want one. Main reason is when full, they are very heavy. How would you get it to the dump station? I know most come with wheels, but try pulling something that is too heavy to lift over a gravel road. Won't be fun. So IMHO I would not get one (and I haven't)
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On our trip this summer, we didn't take one. But we hit a park with a dump station at least every few days. We could go about three days on the gray tanks, and 10 days on the black tank before they were full. I have boon docked in the past for two weeks, and we take a tote for that.

mandolin57
    We've used often at festivals when we had our TT, but that had a smaller black tank, and hubby would empty at the dump every other day via transporting it with the golf cart. Now with the Solitude and the bigger tank, we're going to get the park septic service empty 1-2 times at a fee of about 35.00. Worth it in our opinion and trust me, I've been in the path of the hose when it got loose putting it into the dump and NOT a pretty scene. YUCK!!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always take a portable tote with us...a 25 gal. one. As we seldom have sewer hook-ups, a tote is a must as we always use our facilities...not the parks. As far as capacity, we're about 4 days on gray, 7 days on galley and 12 days on black. I didn't intend to use the tote for black water transport but have as it's way easier than dragging the camper to the dump station when we're staying more than 12 days in one spot.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD