Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Conditioner Issue

Hello,
    I have a 2019 Reflection 303RlS that I haven't had a chance to use that much so far but will be using this weekend.

I've used the air conditioner twice. The first time it worked fine.

The second time was Memorial Day weekend. If I used it on high or automatic, it shut off almost immediately. If I kept it on low continuously it stayed on.

I went on the roof to see if there was any type of blockage that might be causing it to heat up and shut down but it was clear.

Do you know why this might be happening?

Thank you for any help.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merpmerp View Post
    Hello,
    I have a 2019 Reflection 303RlS that I haven't had a chance to use that much so far but will be using this weekend.

I've used the air conditioner twice. The first time it worked fine.

The second time was Memorial Day weekend. If I used it on high or automatic, it shut off almost immediately. If I kept it on low continuously it stayed on.

I went on the roof to see if there was any type of blockage that might be causing it to heat up and shut down but it was clear.

Do you know why this might be happening?

Thank you for any help.
    Sounds like it could be a thermostat problem. Go to the search icon at the top right of the screen and type in thermostat and you should come up with some discussions from other people that have had the same problem and what to do to take care of it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull the filter grill inside and check the baffle plate that separates the warm air return for the cold air output. There has been a history of these metal dividers being sloppily positioned and taped and/or falling down against the plastic interior trim. When this happens, air is shunted directly from the cold air output to the warm air intake of the AC unit causing it to incorrectly sense what's going on and short-cycling or not staying on. I replaced a thermostat to no avail before figuring out what the real issue was.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Pull the filter grill inside and check the baffle plate that separates the warm air return for the cold air output. There has been a history of these metal dividers being sloppily positioned and taped and/or falling down against the plastic interior trim. When this happens, air is shunted directly from the cold air output to the warm air intake of the AC unit causing it to incorrectly sense what's going on and short-cycling or not staying on. I replaced a thermostat to no avail before figuring out what the real issue was.

Rob
    Thanks for the replies. First off, regarding the thermostat, I called Grand Design and was on hold for 20 minutes before I hit one to get a call back. It's been at least an hour and still no call back.

Regarding the baffle plate, yes, I had read about this issue before purchasing the unit. I asked the sales guy, plus the maintenance guy to check on it and they both said "yes we check any recalled items". I told them I don't think it had to do with a recalled item and asked them to check anyway.

They said they would, but the way they disappeared on me as soon as we made the purchase, I doubt they did. My wife worked in HVAC for many years and said it sounds like it could be a filter issue so I'll definitely take a look as soon as I get up there.

Thank you

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn’t specify under what conditions the ac was used. We’re you at a park with 30 or 50 amps. Was there an under voltage situation? I had this happen at a RV park where the line voltage was dropping too low and my EMS was tripping to protect the electronics.

For the ac divider issue, do a search for my post about the ac. I have detailed pics on the divider and other issues you can fix yourself easily.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the baffle is fine and you're getting cold air on low or some other setting then I'd swap the thermostat.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    You didn’t specify under what conditions the ac was used. We’re you at a park with 30 or 50 amps. Was there an under voltage situation? I had this happen at a RV park where the line voltage was dropping too low and my EMS was tripping to protect the electronics.

For the ac divider issue, do a search for my post about the ac. I have detailed pics on the divider and other issues you can fix yourself easily.
    Oh, I should have mentioned that. We're on a permanent site that is 30 AMP. It's the same site we had our Class C on for years with no issues. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but it was Memorial Day weekend and the campground was packed.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    If the baffle is fine and you're getting cold air on low or some other setting then I'd swap the thermostat.
    Thanks, I'll find out soon enough. I guess if I need a new thermostat I'll call Grand Design first thing in the morning during the week so I get someone. They never called back after pressing 1 for a call back.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the high humidity conditions it is better to run the a/c on low fan instead of auto. These a/c's can not keep up with the high heat and humidity on the auto setting. Try just high fan to get cooled down and then turn to low fan and let it run the whole time.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merpmerp View Post
    Oh, I should have mentioned that. We're on a permanent site that is 30 AMP. It's the same site we had our Class C on for years with no issues. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but it was Memorial Day weekend and the campground was packed.
    The packed campground is the likely culprit. The same thing happened to us in Revelstoke, B.C. last summer. 30 amp campground and when it got packed, our line voltage dropped to 108. At that point the EMS shut down to protect the electronics.

With some of the older campgrounds and with 30 amp lines, if you're at the "end of the line" and there are a lot of other users on, your voltage may be too low. EMS shuts down the unit so you don't draw too many amps as the volts go down.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast