User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Batteries, Generators

Rookies here--my wife, Katie, and I purchased a 337 RLS about a month ago in Michigan and have spent a few nights in it on the way back to Massachusetts. I've since learned much from reading this forum but have not found direct references to these two issues: After charging a brand new battery during 11 hours of driving, it still dissipated to two thirds power remaining (3 red lights using the control panel indicator--I don't have a multimeter yet) over about 36 hours, with battery connected and Battery Disconnect switch in the normal (connected) position. What would be the main draws causing this?
    Regarding generators, I am informed by at least one campground in Kansas that there is a generator made by Honda that runs quietly enough to be acceptable for use during non-generator hours. True? If so, which model?

Thanks
    Terry Hamric

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thamric View Post
    Rookies here--my wife, Katie, and I purchased a 337 RLS about a month ago in Michigan and have spent a few nights in it on the way back to Massachusetts. I've since learned much from reading this forum but have not found direct references to these two issues: After charging a brand new battery during 11 hours of driving, it still dissipated to two thirds power remaining (3 red lights using the control panel indicator--I don't have a multimeter yet) over about 36 hours, with battery connected and Battery Disconnect switch in the normal (connected) position. What would be the main draws causing this?
    Regarding generators, I am informed by at least one campground in Kansas that there is a generator made by Honda that runs quietly enough to be acceptable for use during non-generator hours. True? If so, which model?

Thanks
    Terry Hamric
    We have two Honda generators. They do run fairly quietly. But we've yet to be in an RV park that allows generators. That is, there are no "generator hours" Only been able to use them when boondocking.

Generator use in RV parks is individual to each park. So it could be true in one park but not another.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your truck alternator won't recharge run down batteries to a full state of charge, it's more of a trickle charge. Honda's EU2200 or EU3000 are definitely one of the quietest generators @ 58dB. But I've never heard of a campground letting you run gensets during quiet hours in our 35 yrs of camping...but there is always a first.

Welcome aboard!

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry,
    You don't mention what you were powering with your battery i.e lights, water pump, refer but I would thing getting 36 hours from a single battery you are doing pretty well. It does not take much to run them down.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies--all helpful.
    The camper was sitting in my yard with nothing turned on when the fully-charged new battery depleted from full to two-thirds charge over 36 hours. I had actually turned off the refrigerator. Normal?

Terry

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless the battery has been disconnected, there is always parasitic draw in your trailer. CO monitor, stereo, other things arealways powered and will draw a battery down quickly.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thamric View Post
    Thanks for the replies--all helpful.
    The camper was sitting in my yard with nothing turned on when the fully-charged new battery depleted from full to two-thirds charge over 36 hours. I had actually turned off the refrigerator. Normal?

Terry
    I'd say with the dealer battery and factory shut off that's probably pretty normal. If you're looking to store it and have it not die, install your own shutoff. If you're looking for it to last longer add more batteries.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV parks with power generally don't allow generators to be used unless they have an extended power outage.

Agree with others here.....with the various parasitic drains on your battery, 36 hrs is not bad. That said, I would invest in second true deep cycle battery and have two. Best of all worlds is to get two AGM deep cycle batteries and go truly maintenance free. Two 6volt AGM's wired in series would give you good battery service. Consider AGM only if your converter/charger can properly charge them.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    RV parks with power generally don't allow generators to be used unless they have an extended power outage.

Agree with others here.....with the various parasitic drains on your battery, 36 hrs is not bad. That said, I would invest in second true deep cycle battery and have two. Best of all worlds is to get two AGM deep cycle batteries and go truly maintenance free. Two 6volt AGM's wired in series would give you good battery service. Consider AGM only if your converter/charger can properly charge them.
    Thanks. We have a 2018 337 RLS--where would I find information regarding converter capability?

Terry

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    Best of all worlds is to get two AGM deep cycle batteries and go truly maintenance free.
    Respectfully disagree--lithium batteries are "the best" IMO. Definitely not the cheapest, though.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast