User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

RV flies through air and crashes onto ferry!

Craziest thing I have seen in a long time...
    Can’t believe he made it.
    (Well not really)
    Someone mentioned the driver had a stuck accelerator.
    It’s a shame more people don’t understand how their vehicles work. A lot of drivers have no idea what “neutral” is, or that you can simply turn the ignition off.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rver-dies-a...ed-ferry-boat/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a direct link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyD-W0AE1hs
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
    Here's a direct link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyD-W0AE1hs
    I didn't post a direct link to just the video because I figured people would want the full story.
    But ok, if anyone just wants to see the video, there ya go.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I didn't post a direct link to just the video because I figured people would want the full story.
    But ok, if anyone just wants to see the video, there ya go.
    The only thing wrong with posting the link to the whole article link is that it also links to the comments. Whenever I think there is hope for the human race I can always count on Internet comments to dissuade me from that opinion.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people have really stopped to think "what would I do if the accelerator stuck wide open" (in any vehicle.....RV, car, truck, motorcycle, etc.)? Shifting in to neutral is going to give you your best option because you'll still have control of the steering and your brakes will still work. Turning the key off will lock the steering wheel or forks of a motorcycle and your brakes aren't going to work. A motorcycle, at least a Harely, has a kill switch right there on the handlebars that will allow you to still steer it.

At the very least, it's a rare occassion but everybody should spend a few moments thinking about it, while behind the wheel, accelerating.......what would I do if I let off of the accelerator and it continued and picked up speed?
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there, experienced that with my 1986 truck. I was coming on interstate 75 in Dayton Ohio. Accelerator pedal cable was a large stranded cable. One of the cable strands broke and jammed the cable wide open throttle. Got over to the right edge of the road, shifted in neutral, engine revs way up going to blow the engine, turned ignition to the off position (not to the lock position) (old style ign)(non FI), engine jumped time and would not shut off completely. Stood on the brake pedal both feet, bucking bronco, the engine finally died. Got the truck towed and cleaned out my drawers! Had to end up changing the timing chain and gears that were damaged along with the throttle cable.

I have also seen what happened to a 1957 Ford F100 with a 331 supercharged Hemi engine when the throttle cable spring broke. Engine grenades, drove a rod right out the side of the block, completely destroyed the engine and blew the intake off. Or the 1970 Challenger break a motor mount half way down the track and jammed the throttle linkage wide open. He ran it right off the end of the track into the sand pit. At least he ran an 8 in the quarter. Seen lots of things happen at the drag strip. National Trails Raceway, Columbus Ohio.

Never happen to today's modern vehicles with all their electronics? Wouldn't bet my life on it!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuck throttle cable happened to DW just as she left a friends driveway back in the 80s.
    The '67 Galaxie 500 ran into piled up dirt across the road and she got the engine turned off once the car was stuck.
    DW never drove that car again. She figured she'd have died if she'd gotten out onto the windy hill country road headed for home.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most (all?) modern cars have "Brake over throttle" control. If you apply the brakes (hard!) while pushing accelerator pedal or the throttle gets jammed, the brakes take priority over the throttle and will put the engine back to idle (even with full throttle). Know your vehicle and plan ahead. Always have a back up plan. As usual, the forum users here have good advice for everyone.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually with an automatic transmission you cannot lock the steering wheel unless the shifter is in park.
    I agree people should have a plan for this but I also think they should have a plan for a tire blowout, which is far more likely. Many have no idea what to do in a tire blowout situation and will do the wrong thing....hit the brakes or take their foot off the accelerator right away which can easily cause a loss of control. This video explains it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkwOE1yKY5c

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In any engine over-speed situation, just turn off the key. This will not lock the steering unless the shifter is in park . . . it will just turn off the engine.

Important to remember that you only have one power assisted brake apply with the engine shut off . . . don't feather the brakes . . . just apply them hard and hold your foot there. You will have also lost the power assist on the steering . . . be prepared for this.

Try this sometime, in an empty parking lot and you will be better prepared for an emergency situation.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast