User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there you have it. I am of the same opinion as others and fuel mileage with or without RV is right in line with the others as well as towing speeds. See truck specs below.
    As it is with our 3.73 gears we have plenty of payload capacity which i think is really more important with our 5er than max tow capability and she moves out great. I do not consider myself at a drag race when moving out from a stop.

For trucks "on the lot" at dealerships you will probably find a whole lot more 3.73s than 4.10s depending on where you live. Texas is truck country big time but you still find more 3's than 4's. Either one would probably be good for you, but I would really not go numerically lower in gear ratio.

Driving a big dually for everyday driving, well, can be a little challenge depending on where you live and where you are commuting to. Lets just say downtown Austin, or any big city, is not as friendly to big vehicles as they are smark cars! That mis=spelling was intentional.
    Out in the rural areas and smaller towns, especially here in Texas, most parking lots at the major stores are just a tad wider in spacing. But we always utilize the south 40 in the parking lots so its easier to get in/out and keep the door dings and mirror bashing down. Of course ours has power folding mirrors, that helps. Its a small inconvenience when parking the beast, but when towing our RV its ooh-la-la.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind the dually. It occasionally creates a challenge but you get used to driving it. Every once in awhile I have to take two spaces, I usually park further out anyway because the extra 50 steps isn't going to kill me, only help.

We have an Elantra and the truck. We always take the truck. It's comfortable, quiet and roomy. I bought an engine that will last 500k miles easy, I'll be dammed if I'm going to let them go unused.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thing my wife drives this car:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MX-5C.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	21051
    and parks just as far out as I do with the dually It was purchased in 2006 and only has one very small (looks like shopping cart ding) so maybe it's worth the extra steps.
    I still have and drive my F250 but the Ram Dually turns a parks with less effort.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DFHarley19 View Post
    Your feedback would be appreciated! I want to know your opinion about Ram 3500 Dually 3.73 vs 4.10 ratio. For me, I only need to pull the Grand Design Momentum Toy-Hauler fifth wheel up to 17,000 lbs. on two axles or 20,000 lbs. on three axles. I was reading somewhere that 3.73 is better mpg on 70 mph than 4.10 but 4.10 would be better on 55 mph. My wife and I live on the east coast and I think we should get Ram 3500 Dually 3.73. How would you handle this situation, even if you do not live my life? This approach may make me think in a new perspective which I have never thought of.
    For my 397TH I bought a 2018 RAM 3500 with the 3.73's for the gas mileage. Max towing with 3.73 only 24k vs the 30k+ (like 34k?) with the 4.10 gears - but I'm never going to be towing anything that heavy. My truck does just fine. There are some other popular youtubers that went with even lower gear ratios to pull their 397TH (albeit they went with an F350).
    Since I've never owned a truck with 4.10 gears I can't tell you what the difference in gas mileage would be...
    2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.73 gear ratio, AISIN trans, B&W Companion, Air Lift 7500XL
    2020 Momentum 397TH
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a '16 Ram dually with 6.7 Cummins and the Aisin trans. It has the 3.73 gears and we feel it's more than good enough. Here in north GA, we have "mountains" (no laughing from our Rocky Mountain folks, LOL!!) and we pull our 9200 lb. Reflection 303 just fine. Our plans are to move to a bigger Reflection or Solitude someday and feel we are equipped for that. Our Ram is a half daily driver as my wife has a car she drives most days but like driving our Ram too. As many have said, the area you will be driving in will make a big difference for maneuvering the behemoth around in. Happy shopping!!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DFHarley19 View Post
    Thanks for replying! Never thought of tire speed rating! Thanks for pointing to that! What is your average MPG with loaded and unloaded? Thanks!
    Most people don't think of their tire speed ratings. Next time you are driving down the road at the posted speed limit, take a look at the folks towing trailers well over that, and think about those tires they have.

Freeway driving not towing we get about 14 to 15 MPG with the hitch in the truck. Fully loaded on the trailer with full fuel tanks, water tank, etc. the lowest I have seen was 8.434 MPG going through the mountains of Utah.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make your dealer show you the rated towing capacity of each truck and don't take his/her word for it. Make them show you on an official Dodge website or publication. We had a 3500 Dodge with the Cummins diesel engine and a 3:73 rear end. It worked fine towing our camper with GVW of 11000 pounds. It was rated for 12,800 max. When we upgraded to a Momentum 381 (GVW 20,000) we had to buy a new truck also. What might seem like minor changes made a huge difference in towing capacity. It was still a 3500 with the Cummins diesel but it had the 4:10 rear end, duallies, and a heavy duty transmission. That changed the towing capacity from 12,800 to 31,200!!!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive a 2017 Ram 3500 6.7 diesel regular cab dually with 3.73 and 68rfe trans pulling a Reflection 337rls. Have not had any issues what so ever and it pulls great. Truck only has 24k miles and my last tank checked in at 16.3 mpg "Hand Calc" with daily driving and pulling RV I get 10.5 to 11.5.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to consider, the overall gear ratio, dually vs. SRW is not the same, the dually will have smaller tires mounted than the single rw, that adds up. So the 4:10 in a dually is a lot of reduction.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my experience...
    2016 3500 DRW Limited. I pull a 397th with a full load of toys. Trailer weight is pushing 20K. I have the Aisin tranny with 373 gears and never exceed 60mph, even in Montana. I usually run in Manual shift mode in 5th gear with the "Auto" exhaust brake on. Engine is turning between 1800-1900RPM at 55-60mph and handles moderate hills with ease. I like to be able to shift when I want to, for as long as I want. Old school thinking I guess. I thought about the 410's but ultimately went with the 373.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast