User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are towing with a 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Aisin transmission, but with the 3.42 ratio. The 3.42 runs about 300 rpm less than the 4.10 at 70 in 6th gear, and the chief advantage is that it is a little quieter. But I pretty much only use 6th gear when not towing. I would not choose the 68RFE transmission on a DRW 3500, but other than that I would not be too concerned. If I had the choice of 2 otherwise identical trucks, I would go with the 4.10. But unless you really need the extra towing capacity, I wouldn't pass on a truck I liked just to get the 4.10. Looking at the Grand Design max gross weights, a 3.73 should be fine for even the heaviest Momentums, where the practical limit for my 3.42 is a trailer weight of a little over 16,000 lbs for a 5er, allowing 25% of that weight for the pin weight, and carrying an additional 2 adult passengers.
    Last edited by Jim&Ang; 07-07-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    Jim & Angela
    2018 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7L
    Andersen Ultimate
    2018 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 3500 DRW with the aisin and 4.10 gears. Keep in mind if you wanted a 3.73, all you would have to do is put larger tires on it
    and the ratio would change. If you work out the math you could choose a size of tire and have a 3.73 with the larger tires and then
    if you need the 4.10 for something, put the smaller tires back on. The caveat though is you still need to be under gvwr weight either
    way.

2018 Reflection 320mks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T&Tparents View Post
    Here is my experience...
    2016 3500 DRW Limited. I pull a 397th with a full load of toys. Trailer weight is pushing 20K. I have the Aisin tranny with 373 gears and never exceed 60mph, even in Montana. I usually run in Manual shift mode in 5th gear with the "Auto" exhaust brake on. Engine is turning between 1800-1900RPM at 55-60mph and handles moderate hills with ease. I like to be able to shift when I want to, for as long as I want. Old school thinking I guess. I thought about the 410's but ultimately went with the 373.
    I also have 373 gears and the Aisin. Pulling a 376 @ 20,000 lbs. Most times I lock out 6th gear. Truck pulls fine in 6th but will shift down on most hills or bridges. I run at 65 mph max. Truck just seems happier in 5th gear overall. Mpg did not change noticeably in 5th vs 6th gear towing.
    I would have ordered a truck with 410's but found this truck on the lot. Very happy with the 373s. Mpg towing usually around 9. Not towing I get 18 mpg but had one tank that hit 21.3.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

We have a 2010 RAM 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 with the 4.10 differential pulling our 2014 Solitude 269RL which is 16,000Lbs max load.

I selected the 4.10 to ensure I had max torque/power to pull our trailer and to be able to pull larger loads or trade up to a heavier trailer without having to buy another truck. I would rather have more power than not enough. The power is appreciated in mud and of course on hills. I never have to slow down on the hills in the right lame with the trucks. Also there is enough power to drive with those maniacs on the roads. There have been times when drivers would just not let me in even when merging highway to highway. The 4.10 gives me enough power to pull into traffic safely and also pass safely when necessary.

I have found the RAM to be very powerful and could have pulled my Solitude with a differential with less torque and better fuel mileage but I don't think the savings would have made a significant difference. My attitude is RVing is expensive and fuel is just one of those things. If you want great fuel mileage, buy a tiny car

I am very happy with my RAM 3500 and 4.10 and despite the higher fuel cost than my wife's Tucson, I love my RAM so I drive it in the city while at home . With the stronger trucks these days, check the specs for the max trailer weight and truck bed load for the specific truck package available and go from there. it also comes down to your preference.

Hope that helps.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Most people don't think of their tire speed ratings. Next time you are driving down the road at the posted speed limit, take a look at the folks towing trailers well over that, and think about those tires they have.
    I read this type of things so often on forums that I looked up my TT's tires when replacing them. Luckily ST tires have improved over time.

I was comforted to learn my current set is rated for more than the 65MPH people assume ST's are good for. IIRC they're good for 75-80MPH, but I'm happier never exceeding 70MPH with my current rig. However I do live in the land of 80MPH speed limits and there are times I'd like to keep up with traffic, or minimize the amount of time I'm hogging the left lane for a pass.

When I buy my Solitude I'll get my real numbers for that combo too.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    I read this type of things so often on forums that I looked up my TT's tires when replacing them. Luckily ST tires have improved over time.

I was comforted to learn my current set is rated for more than the 65MPH people assume ST's are good for. IIRC they're good for 75-80MPH, but I'm happier never exceeding 70MPH with my current rig. However I do live in the land of 80MPH speed limits and there are times I'd like to keep up with traffic, or minimize the amount of time I'm hogging the left lane for a pass.

When I buy my Solitude I'll get my real numbers for that combo too.

Best regards,
    Chris
    It varies from make to make. Some are rated as low as 55, some are rated 65, some 70 and some even higher. Take a look at the construction, and some of them will have you wondering who was on exactly what drug when they came up with that number. Most of the trailers you see on the road don't come with anything higher than 65, and some of them are even 55. Think about all of the ATV trailers you see in the area. That's only one part of driving safely, keeping it within that limit.

We are just a few miles north of you, and even with tires rated higher and a DRW truck we keep it to 62/63MPH DRW. Keep in mind all of the trailer wrecks in the Harrisburg/Leeds area on I-15. Most of those are guys towing at or near the speed limit and getting into trouble. Sometimes they have a blowout, but most of the time there it's just complacency - going too fast for themselves, their tow vehicle, and their trailer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased a new ‘19 Ram 3500 DRW mega with 4:10’s. Previous truck was a 2500 ‘16 Ram Cummins with 3:73. Old truck pulled our 32GK Solitude fine....but the difference with the new truck is amazing. I can’t compare a DRW with 3:73 or 4:10’s because the jump we made was so significant.
    I was a little indifferent on gear ratios when I decided to make the jump to the DRW 3500. I just happen to get a better deal on the truck with the 4:10 gears. Having said that, I do use it as a daily driver and have been averaging 14-15mpg driving it around town. First trip in the mountains here in CO- I pulled Eisenhower tunnel going westbound at 65mph and the truck wasn’t even working hard. In fact I had the cruise control on and had to turn it off to slow up for cars. Coming back eastbound into the tunnel I pulled it at about 60mph- but that was due to the traffic congestion. I averaged 9mpg on that trip which was Denver to Glenwood. I don’t think you’ll notice much of a difference between the two unless you start getting to upper limits of the towing capacities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim2542 View Post
    One thing to consider, the overall gear ratio, dually vs. SRW is not the same, the dually will have smaller tires mounted than the single rw, that adds up. So the 4:10 in a dually is a lot of reduction.
    Not sure, where you are getting this but my 2010 came with exact 17” tires as the DRW. In fact, the wheel well is so small, its almost impossible to go into a larger wheel size without lifting the truck. The only practical way is to go with a low profile tire which would be a rougher ride.

I lnow the newer 1 ton trucks have larger wheel wells but its an option for larger tires and I can’t see that as part of a high weight tow package. The 1/2 ton trucks definitely all come with 20” and 21” tires cuz it looks cool,

So trucks on the lot, depending on location will come with large tires and 3.73 diffs cuz the dealer ordered them that way because most truck buyers aren't hauling.

So not necessarily a bad thing or good. you just have to know what you buy and if that fits your needs.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colomountain View Post
    We just purchased a new ‘19 Ram 3500 DRW mega with 4:10’s. Previous truck was a 2500 ‘16 Ram Cummins with 3:73. Old truck pulled our 32GK Solitude fine....but the difference with the new truck is amazing. I can’t compare a DRW with 3:73 or 4:10’s because the jump we made was so significant.
    I was a little indifferent on gear ratios when I decided to make the jump to the DRW 3500. I just happen to get a better deal on the truck with the 4:10 gears. Having said that, I do use it as a daily driver and have been averaging 14-15mpg driving it around town. First trip in the mountains here in CO- I pulled Eisenhower tunnel going westbound at 65mph and the truck wasn’t even working hard. In fact I had the cruise control on and had to turn it off to slow up for cars. Coming back eastbound into the tunnel I pulled it at about 60mph- but that was due to the traffic congestion. I averaged 9mpg on that trip which was Denver to Glenwood. I don’t think you’ll notice much of a difference between the two unless you start getting to upper limits of the towing capacities.
    Im curious, what size tires came with your truck? trying to compare new with old truck configurations and also impacts mileage somewhat.

My 2010 RAM 3500 Mega Cab, 4.10 - 68RFE, SRW has 17” tires (Dueller LT265/70R17 121R) and gets 10mpg hauling my 16,000lb solitude (combined weight 24,000 and RPM goes up only 3000 rpm - hardly working) on flat roads and 9mpg on mountains. When not hauling, I get 12-13 (if that). in fact, the truck is not even working hard when hauling 9000lbs in my utility trailer and still get 12mpg.

fuel mileage is crappy on mine compared to the new trucks but still no complaints. I don't have the additional emissions and DEF to deal with. Not boasting, just 1 less thing for me to deal with.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDW-Ottawa View Post
    Im curious, what size tires came with your truck? trying to compare new with old truck configurations and also impacts mileage somewhat.

My 2010 RAM 3500 Mega Cab, 4.10 - 68RFE, SRW has 17” tires (Dueller LT265/70R17 121R) and gets 10mpg hauling my 16,000lb solitude (combined weight 24,000 and RPM goes up only 3000 rpm - hardly working) on flat roads and 9mpg on mountains. When not hauling, I get 12-13 (if that). in fact, the truck is not even working hard when hauling 9000lbs in my utility trailer and still get 12mpg.

fuel mileage is crappy on mine compared to the new trucks but still no complaints. I don't have the additional emissions and DEF to deal with. Not boasting, just 1 less thing for me to deal with.
    It came with 17” tires. (265/80R17).

As far as the DEF, my 16 Ram went through it like crazy when pulling. This truck seems to be sipping the DEF. Just over 1100 miles on it now and have added one container so far to it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast