User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ram 3500 Dually 3.73 vs 4.10 ratio

Your feedback would be appreciated! I want to know your opinion about Ram 3500 Dually 3.73 vs 4.10 ratio. For me, I only need to pull the Grand Design Momentum Toy-Hauler fifth wheel up to 17,000 lbs. on two axles or 20,000 lbs. on three axles. I was reading somewhere that 3.73 is better mpg on 70 mph than 4.10 but 4.10 would be better on 55 mph. My wife and I live on the east coast and I think we should get Ram 3500 Dually 3.73. How would you handle this situation, even if you do not live my life? This approach may make me think in a new perspective which I have never thought of.

Many Thanks!!!!!!
    Last edited by DFHarley19; 06-29-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots to factors here. How often do you tow? Where do you plan to tow? Will the truck be used only for towing or will it be a daily driver? Do you drive fast or slow? Answers to these may help point you to the right choice.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is a 2014 with the Cummins, Aisin, 4.10, CC, DRW.

With this combination we knew we could tow anything on any dealer lot with plenty of ability to spare.

Since you are towing a trailer, your trailer tires will have a speed rating. Don't exceed that. Towing at 70? I limit myself to 62 or 63MPH even with higher-rater trailer tires.

Having the ability to tow more gives us some margins for safety or expansion in the future.

That's the way we looked at it. I drive it every day, and don't regret it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    Lots to factors here. How often do you tow? Where do you plan to tow? Will the truck be used only for towing or will it be a daily driver? Do you drive fast or slow? Answers to these may help point you to the right choice.
    Thanks for replying! I plan to use the truck both towing and daily driver. My wife will have a nice SUV! We want to be able to drive all over and most will be on the east side where our families are. We don't want to get a speed ticket or doing anything stupid therefore we want to drive safely.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Ours is a 2014 with the Cummins, Aisin, 4.10, CC, DRW.

With this combination we knew we could tow anything on any dealer lot with plenty of ability to spare.

Since you are towing a trailer, your trailer tires will have a speed rating. Don't exceed that. Towing at 70? I limit myself to 62 or 63MPH even with higher-rater trailer tires.

Having the ability to tow more gives us some margins for safety or expansion in the future.

That's the way we looked at it. I drive it every day, and don't regret it.
    Thanks for replying! Never thought of tire speed rating! Thanks for pointing to that! What is your average MPG with loaded and unloaded? Thanks!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been towing with a 2008 Dodge Cummins, single rears with 3.73 gears. Total gross of the trailer is a little over 17,000 lbs. I have been happy with the performance while towing and I suspect the newer ones with the higher tow ratings would pull even better. My mileage varies between 8 and 13, depending on numerous variables. When set up at a site, we use the truck for the daily driver. Generally we max our speed at 65.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m towing a 310GK with 3.73 gears and have never felt a need for more towing power. Driving I-25N to Denver then I-70W to Glenwood Springs there are some long , steep grades. I can maintain speed in 4th or 5th gear to the top. Exhaust brake controls speed going down. Average just shy of 10 mpg in 15k miles with two different fivers. 16 to 20 running empty , speed dependent.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our truck is very similar to [email protected] except a 2017 and mega cab model (the dog needs her space). No regrets, nice to know we can trade for just about anything. We generally run about 65 mph except out west where we might bump up to 70 mph depending on terrain and wind. My hunch is that at those speeds and higher its the amount of air you are pushing that has more effect than final gear ratio. We always seem to average 10-11 no matter what.

It is my daily driver and I still work. The only time I felt constrained was in Asheville NC. It is a city of small streets, and I felt like I was driving a tank trying not to run over crunchies. We eventually found a parking garage that could accommodate us. Turns out they have a parking app that would have helped us, but we did not know it at the time.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 4.10 the difference at highway speeds isn't that much MPG wise between the two ratios. The bigger factor is how heavy your foot is, both on acceleration and max speed.

The towing difference isn't that much either. I'd have taken a truck with either, the truck with the transmission we wanted was 4.10 so we took it.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I have the 3.73 which has plenty of tow capacity (18,500lbs). That being said the 4.10's will increase that to 21,000 (with the same transmission) and reduce the strain on the transmission slightly due to the torque developed by the 4.10's.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast