User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    First the truck part: You are correct about the 2500/3500 SRW weights. I am using the 3500 SRW weights because when I bought the truck, I found out that the only difference between the trucks in that year were the rear springs. Same part numbers for rear brakes, wheel bearings, ring and pinion, etc. After all that, I figured that adding airbags will make it a 3500 SRW. I also know that I am pushing the limit anyway.

Now the trailer part: Here are the weight sheet numbers.

GVWR: 15000
    UVW: 12052
    Hitch Weight: 2764
    Fresh Water: 448
    Hot Water: 100
    LP: 60
    Cargo Capacity: 2888

First, there is no way with any combination of those weights of water and LP that you can come up with 2888 cargo capacity. Next, If you take my estimate of what my cargo and mods above were and then double it, that would mean that all of my cargo weight would be directly on the pin (compared to the weight sheet)
    It looks like the Cargo Capacity is calculated using GVWR -UVW -60 lbs of LP. 15,000-12,052-60=2888

My Reflection is calculated the same way 13995-10640-60=3295 pds

My actual Hitch weight when loaded to travel WITHOUT any Fresh Water is 2900 pds vs weight sheet of 2220 pds
    See Note at the bottom of your Weight Sheet under Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC)* that states *With fresh water weight not subtracted.

Weight Sheet Weights For MY Vehicle Are:

GVWR: 13995 pds
    UVW: 10640 pds
    Hitch Weight: 2220 pds

Capacities
    Fresh Water (w/o HWH): 448 pds
    Hot Water Heater: 50 pds
    Grey Water: 75 pds
    Waste Water: 43 pds
    LP Gas: 60 pds
    Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC)*: 3295 pds
    Last edited by Jerryr; 06-30-2019 at 02:52 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you need to get a build sheet right from GD to see what and if was added either by the previous owner or previous dealer.

All units are weighed as they leave the assembly line. I've been there in person and seen it done.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got the new fifth wheel. First trip out, I stopped at the scale to see exactly what it weighed and how it was distributed. The scale weight was 1200 pounds heavier and the hitch weight was 700 pounds heavier than the VIN specific weight sheet that came with it. If those weights are accurate, I need a bigger truck!

I was diligent before I bought it and made sure that my truck would do the job, but now I'm not sure what to do. My first impulse is to think the scale weight was wrong, but that's not very likely.

Thoughts anyone? And I'm curious, how many people actually weigh their rig?
    What does your weight sheet show that was provided by GDRV? This would be the weights as the unit left the plant minus propane tanks and a battery. Always go by GVW on an RV and not the empty UVW and UVW tongue weight. And a 2500 truck is not a 3500 truck but the internet scholars will tell you different so use your own discretion.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-30-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't going to re-weigh it today, but this all got me fired up. I will share the new numbers in a bit, but first for all the newcomers, please read the entire thread. Most of the questions being asked have already been discussed. And call me an internet scholar, but I did my own research by looking up part numbers for key components on both trucks. I encourage a discussion about truck towing capacities, but that is for a different thread.

Now back to the topic of this thread; starting from the beginning. This is the weight sheet that was given to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190630_190840.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	21057

The first time I weighed it:
    LP Gas:60
    Assumed Gear: 300
    Also assume that the gear I loaded and the LP was directly on the hitch. (which it is not)

The scale weight should have been:
    Total trailer: 12,512
    Hitch Weight: 3124

The actual scale weights were:
    Total Trailer: 13620
    Hitch Weight: 3420

That was 1,108 heavier total weight and 296 heavier on the hitch than it should have been. If you count the battery as cargo, then change all the numbers by 50 pounds.... Still not good.

That is what I was questioning.

After much discussion, I broke down and had to weigh it again today, because I was questioning the scale. I unloaded my assumed 300 pounds of gear and weighed it at 338 pounds (not perfect but not a bad guess).

So here are the parameters for todays weight:
    UVW:12052
    Hitch Weight:2764
    Hot Water:100
    LP Gas: 60
    Washer/Dryer (installed after the first weighing):219 (from the Splendide website)

Total Trailer: 12431
    Hitch Weight: 2989 (assuming the washer/dryer and LP are directly on the hitch... reasonable)

Total Trailer: 12960
    Hitch Weight: 3260

529 heavier total weight and 271 heavier hitch weight than it should have been. Again, consider the battery as you will.

So what can we take from all this? The hitch weight is pretty consistent on both scale readings, but the total trailer weight is different by about 5%. My conclusion is that the third scale at the first weighing is not very accurate. The unit is still heavier than what GD said it was, but now we're down to less than 5%. As said earlier, I'm OK with a few hundred pounds. I also come to the conclusion that I need to have fresh water full to get the hitch weight down to the 22%ish range. Finally, for those who say that GVRW is the only thing that matters how would you know how to load it if you don't know what your starting from?

Finally, I have to ask:
    How many of you actually weigh you RV's and ask these questions?
    Roger, Stacy and the Sophie the fur kid

2017 Solitude 300GK
    2015 Chev 2500 Diesel (replaced)
    2020 F350 DRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't going to re-weigh it today, but this all got me fired up. I will share the new numbers in a bit, but first for all the newcomers, please read the entire thread. Most of the questions being asked have already been discussed. And call me an internet scholar, but I did my own research by looking up part numbers for key components on both trucks. I encourage a discussion about truck towing capacities, but that is for a different thread.

Now back to the topic of this thread; starting from the beginning. This is the weight sheet that was given to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190630_190840.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	21057

The first time I weighed it:
    LP Gas:60
    Assumed Gear: 300
    Also assume that the gear I loaded and the LP was directly on the hitch. (which it is not)

Total trailer: 12,512
    Hitch Weight: 3124

Total Trailer: 13620
    Hitch Weight: 3420

That was 1,108 heavier total weight and 296 heavier on the hitch than it should have been. If you count the battery as cargo, then change all the numbers by 50 pounds.... Still not good.

That is what I was questioning.

After much discussion, I broke down and had to weigh it again today, because I was questioning the scale. I unloaded my assumed 300 pounds of gear and weighed it at 338 pounds (not perfect but not a bad guess).

So here are the parameters for todays weight:
    UVW:12052
    Hitch Weight:2764
    Hot Water:100
    LP Gas: 60
    Washer/Dryer (installed after the first weighing):219 (from the Splendide website)

Total Trailer: 12431
    Hitch Weight: 2989 (assuming the washer/dryer and LP are directly on the hitch... reasonable)

Total Trailer: 12960
    Hitch Weight: 3260

529 heavier total weight and 271 heavier hitch weight than it should have been. Again, consider the battery as you will.

So what can we take from all this? The hitch weight is pretty consistent on both scale readings, but the total trailer weight is different by about 5%. My conclusion is that the third scale at the first weighing is not very accurate. The unit is still heavier than what GD said it was, but now we're down to less than 5%. As said earlier, I'm OK with a few hundred pounds. I also come to the conclusion that I need to have fresh water full to get the hitch weight down to the 22%ish range. Finally, for those who say that GVRW is the only thing that matters how would you know how to load it if you don't know what your starting from?

Finally, I have to ask:
    How many of you actually weigh you RV's and ask these questions?
    We had our RV weighed with full water tanks and fully loaded early in one of our trips. We were about 150 pounds underweight. But heavier on one side than the other. We moved some things from the heavy side to the light side to balance it.

We had our rig weighed so that, when/if we are in an accident, when we show the police our weight certification we won't have any issues with being overweight (and therefore our fault).

Will it happen? I hope not. But you never know when that idiot will cut you off on the highway.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mu UVW has never concerned me as I do not tow with a UVW. It really does not matter what the UVW or GD build sheet is. You know the GVW of your unit and you know the scale weight loaded. You know your GVW of your tow vehicle and the actual weight on the scale loaded with the trailer. Congratulations as you know more than most people who are hauling units down the road.

Sorry you are in this situation. We looked at the 337 and several Solitude's but realized we would be way overloaded with either selection. Our TV is an F-250 and I am over the GVW of the truck with a 303RLS. I am well under the axle weights

Solicitude's are not 3/4 ton friendly

Good luck in whatever direction you go.

BTW, If I fill my freshwater tank and tow with it full, I reduce my pin weight by over 200 pounds
    Last edited by GeoffnCheri; 06-30-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're narrowing it down.

Wouldn't your expected hitch weight be 3043 (2764+60(LP)+219(W/D)?

I think you left the zero off the 60 when entering in calculator (2764+6+219)=2989

When you weighed your truck alone, was it with your hitch installed?

Mike
    Last edited by Walaby; 06-30-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't consider myself an internet scholar either however I went about this a bit differently. First I decided on the model I wanted (310GK), then researched and bought a truck that would pull a 15,000 lb RV. No way a ¾ ton was going to work according to the numbers so I simply bought a 1 ton.

As to the question asking how many really weigh their trailers? I weighed mine at a CAT scale the first time out. I keep copies of the weigh ticket with the registration of my TV as well as a copy in the RV. I went with the B&W turnover ball installed at the dealer where I bought the truck. My results at the bottom of my post.

I've put about 10,000 miles on so far, most trips up and down 6% grades in the Sierra's and Utah mountains during ski season. I hardly know there is a trailer behind me and am confident a ¾ ton would have never worked well and most likely would have been illegal.

GMC with full fuel, driver only, B&W hitch installed:
    Front Axle 4700
    Rear Axle 3400
    Gross Weight 8100

With 310GK attached, no water but full propane tanks, battery, normal supplies for a 5-7 day trip and full TV fuel:
    Front Axle 4960
    Rear Axle 5980
    Trailer Axle 10260
    GVWR 15000

Pin Weight 2580 (25.1%)
    Gross Weight 21200 (combined)

GMC Yellow Sticker
    Payload 3747
    RAWR 7050

GCWR 25300
    Max Towing 17,200 according to GMC
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses. Maybe I was the only one that got a little heated here and I'm sorry for that.

Walaby, good catch on my math error. That actually gets the pin weight closer to where it should be, and yes the hitch was installed for truck weight. (Drop the trailer and get back on the scale.)

The reason I asked how many actually weigh is that from what I read and what I see on the road, many people don't. I know there are a lot of smart responsible RVers out there, but there is also a lot of misinformation and people tend to trust the dealers and manufacturers too much.

Thanks for hearing my rant.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am going to throw what may seem like a dumb question. Could the underbelly insulation be damp or wet from age?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast