User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get by with 3 quads, but the whole thing was to be able to take 4, was assured it would work. It does but over loads the two axles. Last talk I had with GD, they might even care me get it and take it to their shop to make the repairs it needs. Might not happen but they are going to see.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whittleburner,

That is a good observation but unevenly loaded axles has more to do with the attitude of the trailer (nose high or nose low). A good way to visualize this is to image that the axles are welded to the trailer frame. If you raise the front of the trailer, the front wheels would come off the ground.

The suspension system is able to compensate for some of that out of level condition, but not perfectly. That is why hitch height is important.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Huntr70,

Quad Racer's original concern was the axle weight when loading the garage. I understand that a tandem suspension is three points of contact instead of one, but the loading still behaves as a fulcrum. If you load behind the axles, you cannot possibly increase pin weight. Obviously, if you install a generator way up front, it will increase pin AND axle weights, but there is rarely a case that you could load the pin without loading the axles.

The jacks are located about six feet behind the pin. You might say that they are loaded similarly or that loading in the front will increase both, but to imply that they carry the same load and are therefore interchangeable is incorrect.

The "dealer misinformation" that I was referring to comes from the overgeneralized statements. If you say that "pin weight will always increase" that statement is not true; especially with a toy hauler that you can load heavily in the rear.

If we want people to understand how this works, we can't leave parts out of the explanation.
    I understand what you are saying, however, I have never seem a pin weight that is actually lighter than what is advertised. You can load whatever you want into the garage, but it will not significantly change the pin weight. There are several threads on this forum with actual weights from weigh stations that prove this.

The advertised pin weights are usually a bit lower than what actual weights are, as is printed on the actual weight slips that come with all GD units. Add battery/batteries and fill LP tanks, it will go up. Fill those nice storage areas up with "stuff", it goes up.

We have scales in house, and the amount of weight carried between the pin and the front jacks is nearly identical.

Comparing an advertised hitch weight. just for example- 2020 Momentum 29G, advertised hitch weight of 1250lbs. We put on one battery and filled LP tanks. Weighed the tongue and it was over 1500lbs. Battery and LP doesn't weight that much....

Key is, you can't use advertised weight as a true number for YOUR rig.
    Last edited by huntr70; 07-07-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that, I'm just have to deal with this and make the best out of a bad situation. Thanks for the links too. That 8k would need to change tires and wheels too. About 3k-4k worth of parts.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Yes. That is a basically empty weight.

I was loaded for the first trip we had no more that 300 pounds of gear. I am very sensitive to how things are loaded so I'm saying that is a generous estimate. I assumed a battery would be included in the delivered weight, but even so we're talking 50 pounds. Otherwise, all tanks were empty. The only things added aftermarket are a battery charger and EMS that I installed (maybe 20 pounds)

Also, looking deeper at the weight sheet, the numbers on the sheet don't even add up with themselves!
    Batteries are installed by the dealership. They are not shipped with a battery. The haulers have to carry their own battery to use for the breakaway switch.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told that the factory weight sticker excluded propane and battery. I weighed my 337 in May and it was about 350 lbs heavier at the pin than the tag. The axle end was about 80 pounds heavier. So when I take into consideration the weight of 60 lbs propane and battery, the weight sticker was close as some of the weight would transfer rearward to the axles.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456