User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Bedroom Door too tight - will not close 2670MK Frame Flexing?

I bought a new 2019 2670MK. The bedroom door no longer will close as the frame opening is too tight.

It was not this way when I first took delivery. The problem seems worse when I use leveling blocks under the wheels on that side of the trailer so I suspect I have some abnormal frame shifting and thus see this as a potential serious structural problem,,,, hopefully not.

The door will not shut at all now unless I push very hard and force it closed.

Now the entry door latch will not catch as well, can not adjust the metal receptacle on the door frame anymore.

If anybody has any wisdom to share please do.

The trailer is under warranty and I have an appointment July 19th at the dealer, other problems include cracking drawer faces, problems with the A/C and heat,,,
    Last edited by ReiMan1776; 06-30-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would make a video of the issue and send to GD to get the issue corrected
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much pressure are you putting on the stabilizer jacks in each corner?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that much at all,,, no way have I over tightened. It really puzzles me how this has changed, will put a straight edge on that wall and see if there is any deflection.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also check to make sure the trim/door frame hasn't shifted. Sometimes it happens.

The new interior uses a sliding door instead of framed/hinged.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checked the plastic trim molding around the door frame and it is secure.

I put a 4' straight edge on the wall just to the right of the entry door on the outside and it is flat / normal.

Now the bad news:

Running that straight edge vertical from the bottom up and about 12" to the right of the entry door there is a significant gap, about 3/16" indicating the wall is "bowed" inward. And right now the bedroom door is closing although it is tight.

So that wall is flexing significantly, when on my recent camping trip where I had leveling blocks under the wheels the door could not be closed unless i pushed hard at the end of the door.

I bet the gap on that wall if I had had a straight edge was a goof 1/4 to 5/16" .

So structurally the wall is NOT holding up to normal conditions.

I am going to contact Grand design and send them pictures and a video. I do not see a way this problem can be corrected.

A few photos here with a straight edge show the wall bowed in on the outside, and bulging on the inside, explains why I have this problem with the bedroom door.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2895.jpg   IMG_2913.jpg  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    You can also check to make sure the trim/door frame hasn't shifted. Sometimes it happens.

The new interior uses a sliding door instead of framed/hinged.
    On flat ground the door is fine. The trailer is in for service, of course you do not see the problem when on level ground.

I did get a call from GD technical support and I do not think they realize how serious this or, yet I am suspicious that the new design now has a sliding door, perhaps this problem has popped up before. Also looks like you lose the TV wall with the sliding door, a real bummer as we love our bedroom TV.

I will have to make a video the next time I have this problem. The service department did say they see no way of fixing the problem.

I hate the thought of a new trailer under a structural warranty claim as we have personalized ours a great deal over the past year, however a structural wall problem like this has to be cured,,, this is our retirement trailer and has to last.

To be continued......

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also own a 2019 Model 2670MK. I have had ours jacked around like crazy when leveling and never experienced trouble with either interior doors. I just recently removed the bedroom door knob and assy replacing with a roller catch and appropriate striker. Today I pulled in a campground and had to overcome a 5" side difference in level. I also had to tighten the stabilizer jacks extra to make up for a couple of soft spots. The doors still stay square and close well. I really cannot say I have seen much frame flexing at all.

I'm telling you this so you will know your trailer's condition is not normal for this model or year. You really need to push back on this one.

Good luck!