Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 29RS with Ram 3500 bed rail clearance

Just looking for some info from Reflection owners as my wife & I are considering this unit (29RS) but have some concerns regarding clearance. My stock Ram 3500 measures 58" to the top of the box & the Reflection measures 60.5" to the under side of the front cap. Everything I've read to this point says 6" is the minimum clearance required without doing damage to the bed rails or trailer when negotiating elevation changes (i.e.: gas station entrances, rv sites & unfortunately my driveway entrance where the unit would be stored) Have done a ton of research on this along with the help of Peter Kinden (Reflection Western region SM) who has gone "ABOVE & BEYOND" to help us get the answers we need.
    I'm aware that the fifth wheel hitch can be adjusted to gain clearance but as you raise the hitch height the trailer becomes nose high & very out of level. This puts unwanted stress on trailer suspension components & can cause fridge issues on long periods of driving not being somewhat level.(according to the experts)
    GD service team said adjusting the trailer pinbox will gain another one inch of clearance as well the truck will squat at least an inch with 1500lbs+ pin weight on. Just worried that my roughly 5" inches of clearance might not be enough when negotiating some of the above mentioned situations without doing some truck/trailer damage. Jerry from GD service dept had mentioned that longer axles hanger plates could be installed. Any feedback from Reflection owners & what they have for clearance on their current set up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kunuc1,
    We are pulling a 337rls with an older F350 4wd. My unhooked bed clearance is 56". I have a hijacker 16k hitch with the cradle mounted in the second from the bottom lowest set of mounting holes. I have about 7.5 inches of clearance between the trailer and truck bed, and the trailer sits nearly level. I wouldn't want much less clearance as we go a few places that are really uneven and it gets close to touching at times. I had to put axle spacer blocks and longer u bolts in our previous trailer to get it to sit close to level, so I was very pleased when I hooked up to a Reflection at the dealer before we purchased ours. It tows better than all the other 5th wheels we have owned too!
    Sean and Donna Duling
    2015 Reflection 337rls #627
    1996 F-350 CC 4x4 DRW 7.3L
    Ferndale Wa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply 1970kw. Is changing the axle spacer blocks & longer u bolts a fairly involved job done by an Rv dealer? Did it change your handling on your previous trailer once that was done? (i.e.: higher centre of gravity)
    BTW? Did your Reflection 337RLS come with 16" wheel/tires?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed 2 different 5th wheels nose high for years. Basically ever since the new trucks got taller.

No harm in doing it this way, and towing is fine on the refer. The movement while towing actually helps keep the ammonia vapors moving through the cooling tubes.

Get your 6 inches and tow it.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a friend make the blocks. They weren't too difficult to install, but it helped distribute the weight on the axles better. The rear axle always had warmer bearings and the tires noticeably had more wear. Didn't notice center of gravity change much. Most of the new trailers we looked at seem to be built more for the taller 4wd trucks. I was pleased to hook up to my Reflection and not change a thing! My previous 2 fifth wheels I had to have the lift blocks. Our 337rls has I believe, 235/80r16 tires on it. It only has 6 lug axles, but they are just within the gvw of trailer. It tows very nice. It is heavier than my old fw but my truck actually runs cooler towing it. If you stick with the standard 9cf refrigerator, it is an Atwood helium unit. They don't require the trailer to be level like the traditional ammonia units to operate normally. We have had a few bugs, but GD has been very prompt and helpful. We love our Reflection and have no reservations about our purchase. Its the best Rv we have owned yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are u saying that the bearings ran hotter & tread wear was noticeable "prior" to installing the blocks that levelled the trailer??? Also the reason why u prob didn't have to make any adjustments to your current Reflection regarding clearance is the 16" wheel/tire combo that comes stock on your 337rls. On the 29rs were looking at they only come with 15" wheels. From what I can see online the wheel/tire combo setup u have gives the trailer another 2.5" taller stance. Wish the 16" were an option on the 29rs but Jerry at GD service says they will NOT fit on 29rs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My other trailers were really un-level. The blocks were the easiest remedy and it worked. I believe the only trailer that I could hook up to at the dealer when we were looking was a 27 or 29 model. It still was OK. If you have the ability to hook up to one at a dealer it may solve your mystery. My last one even with the blocks was still a few inches nose high and it was fine. We put a lot of miles and 2 sets of tires on it while we had it.