Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I-5 to Gold Beach, Oregon

using I-5 to get to Gold Beach, OR from Bakersfield; US101 on the return leg, try never use the same road twice, about 50 miles more.

CA 299 from Redding looks pretty ugly, US 199 looks pretty good, is that would you take?

Thx,
    John
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    299 is ugly...199 is what we take if we go that way. Gets narrow & windey for a few miles, just take it slow & you'll be fine. Or you can take Hwy 20 south of Fort Bragg...if it's not on fire. We usually take the road out of Bandon to get to I5, but you will be farther south.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul, appreciate your confirming my suspicions.

Couple of years ago, we were in Fort Bragg and took 128 back to 101, great road, few turns here and there, but beautiful redwoods & vineyards.
    John, Susan & Luke
    Bakersfield, CA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    299 is one of my favorite drives ever but never made it with a trailer behind me. I would be plenty willing to do it, though. I don't mind winding mountain roads while towing. Just take my time and enjoy.

Not a big fan of the drive up I-5 (we've done it a million time because my folks live in Southern Oregon) but the 101 is beautiful.

Last summer we took 199 from Grant's Pass to the CA coast towing a 35' bumper pull without issue. With your 303, it will be a piece of cake.

When in Gold Beach, take a drive up the Rogue River to Lucas Lodge for their family style fried chicken dinner. It's like stepping back in time. We used to take a Jerry's Jet Boat tour up the river (also very fun) but it looks like Lucas Lodge is no longer one of the meal options.

Road trips are the best! Be safe and have fun.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jeff, we’ll check it out, thx for the tips

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When are you headed to Gold Beach and where are you staying? We are going there in mid September. I would be interested in knowing how 199 or the 20 worked for you. We have a Reflection 320. Last year we towed a 28bh over 128 from Fort Bragg. It had a few tight turns but was a very pretty drive.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Desertdad-We'll be at Secret Camp RV Park, never been there before.
    I'll let you know how it and 199 are.
    We hit Bragg couple of years ago on our way back from Patrick's Point (awesome area, Sounds of the Sea is a great park).
    Taking Hiway 1 to the coast was a real thrill with all those tight curves, several times stayed behind the bicyclist until could pull off and we could go around.

thx
    John
    John, Susan & Luke
    Bakersfield, CA

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we are doing a loop where we will depart Redding, Ca and stay at Rogue River, Port Ordford, and then down the coast into Cali and stay in Trinidad, and back to Redding from there.

I’ve lived in this area for about a decade now, and can tell you I’d rather take 229 over 199 any day. The reason is that the slides on 199 can stop traffic for days literally, and a single accident adds hours to your trip. 299 is t a lot better, but still it’s a little better.

The one advantage that 199 has is that the twisty parts are shorter in duration.

Just my 2 cents.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Clines, I'll check that out.
    John, Susan & Luke
    Bakersfield, CA