User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mangled my Glowsteps...

I *thought* they were up correctly when I inserted the pin, but obviously they weren't. Steps lowered while towing and impacted the road. Should be easy to bend them back into shape, but the feet need to be replaced. (I'm replacing the feet even though I have to replace the entire "landing gear" section on the steps.)

Learned to double-check the steps are actually "seated" in the storage position before inserting the safety pin. (The pin *was* installed!)

As with everything on these trailers, it is wise to check and double-check every single time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1261 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	21099

Name:	IMG_1259 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	21100

Name:	IMG_1260 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	21101
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard,
    It's always something that bites us.
    They look better than I thought they would.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I *thought* they were up correctly when I inserted the pin, but obviously they weren't.
    Thanks for the head's up. I just installed my Glowsteps and I had started thinking of the pin as just a set of suspenders that Torklift had added along with the belt. They seem so firmly latched when folded in that I never imagined they could jump out.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch, Howard ! Like Gene stated, I thought the steps would have been damaged much worse or damage to the RV could have occurred.

Ken has some older steel steps he may consider selling to you ! Finally installed his aluminum ones and his DW is SO happy !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were more than lucky Howard, that could have been a lot messier.

Last month on my trip out East, I pinned the steps (rear side pin location pushed in from front to back) and stopped to walk the dogs along the route and noticed the pin was just hanging on by a thread. Obviously the fine condition of the Interstate system was the culprit. I grabbed a hitch cotter pin from my tool box then use it in the forward pin location and reversed the rearward pin to back to front. All good! Now I have to think twice about the pin, forward and back locations, to ensure I don't miss something too.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OUCH!! I'll echo everyone else, they don't look as bad as you'd think they would.
    I learned early on to give the steps a tug when they are deployed and stowed befor stepping on them. Somehow the steps ended up as my job when setting up.
    Gary didn't tug when he deployed the steps at a rest stop and he steppd on the top step and it dropped fast and hard , not the best thing for bad knees. ...bet he tugs on them from now on
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I *thought* they were up correctly when I inserted the pin, but obviously they weren't. Steps lowered while towing and impacted the road. Should be easy to bend them back into shape, but the feet need to be replaced. (I'm replacing the feet even though I have to replace the entire "landing gear" section on the steps.)

Learned to double-check the steps are actually "seated" in the storage position before inserting the safety pin. (The pin *was* installed!)

As with everything on these trailers, it is wise to check and double-check every single time.

Name:	IMG_1261 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	21099

Name:	IMG_1259 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	21100

Name:	IMG_1260 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	21101
    Have you reached out to Torklift directly? I know this was an accidental happening, but they are an amazing company. I have been to many Torklift presentations and they emphasize their support and lifetime warranty. They will probably send the parts you need. I have personally seen their generosity. If you call them, you will be talking to a person and who knows, you might get a set of new steps. They might want to do a study of how their steps stood up under your situation. It worth a try in my opinion.
    Dennis
    Dennis and Carolyn, Oregon City, OR
    2019 GD Reflection 337RLS
    Comfort Ride Slipper Spring Suspension with Wheel Alignment
    2015 GMC SLT 2500HD Duramax with 3500HD Rear Springs
    20K Reese Goosebox with B&W 4" Offset Turnover Ball.
    Sold 2016 GD Reflection 303RLS 03/17/2019

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentil View Post
    Have you reached out to Torklift directly? I know this was an accidental happening, but they are an amazing company. I have been to many Torklift presentations and they emphasize their support and lifetime warranty. They will probably send the parts you need. I have personally seen their generosity. If you call them, you will be talking to a person and who knows, you might get a set of new steps. They might want to do a study of how their steps stood up under your situation. It worth a try in my opinion.
    Dennis
    I should have had the DW call--the guy at Torklift that I spoke to gave me the part number and said to order the replacement from one of their distributors. (Fran always gets more than I do!)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang.. Sorry to hear that, but glad i just read this post.

I just installed Glowsteps last weekend. Heading out in the morning for a trip to Gulf State Park, Al. Adding checking steps to the checklist.

Sorry and Thanks Howson.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others have said... Ouch! I thought the pin wouldn't go in unless the latch was seated. I'll be sure to look at it again when I get back to it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast