User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Dentil. The company has been very kind to me in the past. And, knowing how thorough the company is, they may want to look at your steps to see if any more improvements can be made to an already great product.
    Tony & Judy DaVanzo
    Riverside, CA
    2015 Solitude 320x #3626 Plant #1 Line #1
    2016 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Diesel / Aisin Transmission

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this happen recently. Pin was still in the frame. The steps didn't unlatch from the frame, the bottom steps unfolded, dragging the feet on the ground and bending the lowest step. Torklift was super, replaced, I sent the damaged steps back to them. I still don't know how this happened, but now I do a "tug" test. I am tempted to strap the aluminum steps to the frame while towing.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing to consider is to adjust the torque on the bolts that are called the "hinge tension" bolts. Tightening these bolts will make it harder to deploy the steps an adding tension at the scissor pivot points. That is obviously not a substitute for ensuring that the steps are completely in and latched and the pin in place, but it may save you a "step deployment" that you weren't expecting.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Agree. My steps are tough to deploy and retract hence I don't see how they would deploy when underway. It takes a bit of a tug to get them to expand and a big push to retract. I have often thought about loosening those nuts to make it easier to expand/retract but after reading this thread, I'll leave well enough alone.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    ^^ Agree. My steps are tough to deploy and retract hence I don't see how they would deploy when underway. It takes a bit of a tug to get them to expand and a big push to retract. I have often thought about loosening those nuts to make it easier to expand/retract but after reading this thread, I'll leave well enough alone.
    I'm installing my new Glowstep Revolution steps this weekend and plan to set mine up the same way....stiff enough that they can't/shouldn't be able to deploy if I forget to check that they are secured.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    One other thing to consider is to adjust the torque on the bolts that are called the "hinge tension" bolts.
    Our steps were so tight from the factory that they were a pain to extend and retract. So I loosened all the bolts. Now the steps drop down like water flowing and retract with a two finger push -- and that's better than before.

But ever since I saw this thread, we've added the "tug" test to our break-camp procedures.

Question though: What are those "hinge tension" bolts you mentioned. Did I loosen too many. Would I get more optimal extend/retract operation if I only loosened the "hinge tension" bolts?

Thanks.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Our steps were so tight from the factory that they were a pain to extend and retract. So I loosened all the bolts. Now the steps drop down like water flowing and retract with a two finger push -- and that's better than before.

But ever since I saw this thread, we've added the "tug" test to our break-camp procedures.

Question though: What are those "hinge tension" bolts you mentioned. Did I loosen too many. Would I get more optimal extend/retract operation if I only loosened the "hinge tension" bolts?

Thanks.

-Steve
    I'm not sure if you have the manual that came with the steps or not, but on Page 11 in my manual, there are instructions on how to adjust the hinge tension bolts. I have the 5 step A8005 model and they tell you to tighten or loosen (which ever you need to do) to two "outside" bolts in-between each of the steps. This will be the horizontal bar that is part of the scissor pattern of the steps and that part is located between the actual steps. They also suggest to turn no more than 1/32 - 1/16 of a turn at a time. Try it after adjusting all of the hinge tension bolts and see how they feel. If they are still too loose, tighten them all again.....1/32 -1/16 of a turn ....until you have the correct tension that you desire. It is a lot easier to understand if you have the manual in front of you with a picture included. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12