User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another-Inverter Installation Question

Now that all of the other projects are completed I need to dive into the Battery/Inverter solution. After reading all of the threads and looking at all of the different wiring diagrams it really makes my head spin.

KNOWN:
    1. I have a Honda 200 generator
    2. Plan on purchasing 2 Lithium batteries and will not replace the WFCO converter until it goes out then will replace with a converter that will charge the lithium batteries faster.
    3. I have an EMC-HW50C hardwired installed
    4. I have (2) 100w portable solar panels with controller

WANT TO POWER OFF BATTERIES
    1. Want to be able to watch TV(I have a 34" LED/SMART TV)-do not want to purchase a DC TV
    2. Power wife's Keurig
    3. Power Dish Tailgator
    4. Power WiFi extender

Need Advice:
    1. Not an electrician and am not ready to handle the task of adding sub-panels, ATS and smart converter or going the all in one route (Victron Multiplus or GoPower IC2000) with built in ATS/Converter and Inverter)
    2. Do not want to run extension cords into the trailer to power a few things
    3. Do I just buy a 1000-3000 pure sine watt inverter and plug in my shore power cable to inverter and turn off the converter breaker?--How does this affect my EMC-HW50C?
    4. Do I just buy a 1000-3000 pure sine watt inverter and run a few strands of cable and install a couple of plugs to power the 4 items above?
    5. Not planing on adding additional solar or trying to run the AC off the batteries..I did install Smart Starts in both AC units and know that my Honda will only power one at a time.
    6. Just need a simple solution.
    7. Lastly if I can not come up with a simple solution does anyone have a recommendation on an installer in Washington? I know AM Solar is in Eugene, OR and I have talked to them but they really want to sell me a whole solar solution that I do not need.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    My answer is that the simplest solution for you would be to install your inverter and then plug your trailer directly into the inverter and turn off the converter. You won't need to worry about your surge protector although it wouldn't be needed, it shouldn't "interfere".

EDIT: I just noticed you were still undecided on the inverter but you did say you want to able to run your coffee maker so be sure to check that you are getting one that will handle it. I know that our 1,000 watt pure sine wave inverter will NOT run the coffee maker.

Also, In our 2015, I ALSO need to manually switch my Norcold to LP or it will definitely suck my batteries down running it on full electric.
    Last edited by Paul & Deb; 07-02-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Poppy...I had read some place that the EMS sometimes does not like the voltage or current coming from the inverter something to do with it being 50 amp EMS.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Thanks Poppy...I had read some place that the EMS sometimes does not like the voltage or current coming from the inverter something to do with it being 50 amp EMS.
    Well, I guess I would wait to hear from the pros on this or contact the inverter manufacturer to verify with them.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Now that all of the other projects are completed I need to dive into the Battery/Inverter solution. After reading all of the threads and looking at all of the different wiring diagrams it really makes my head spin.

KNOWN:
    1. I have a Honda 200 generator
    2. Plan on purchasing 2 Lithium batteries and will not replace the WFCO converter until it goes out then will replace with a converter that will charge the lithium batteries faster.
    3. I have an EMC-HW50C hardwired installed
    4. I have (2) 100w portable solar panels with controller

WANT TO POWER OFF BATTERIES
    1. Want to be able to watch TV(I have a 34" LED/SMART TV)-do not want to purchase a DC TV
    2. Power wife's Keurig
    3. Power Dish Tailgator
    4. Power WiFi extender

Need Advice:
    1. Not an electrician and am not ready to handle the task of adding sub-panels, ATS and smart converter or going the all in one route (Victron Multiplus or GoPower IC2000) with built in ATS/Converter and Inverter)
    2. Do not want to run extension cords into the trailer to power a few things
    3. Do I just buy a 1000-3000 pure sine watt inverter and plug in my shore power cable to inverter and turn off the converter breaker?--How does this affect my EMC-HW50C?
    4. Do I just buy a 1000-3000 pure sine watt inverter and run a few strands of cable and install a couple of plugs to power the 4 items above?
    5. Not planing on adding additional solar or trying to run the AC off the batteries..I did install Smart Starts in both AC units and know that my Honda will only power one at a time.
    6. Just need a simple solution.
    7. Lastly if I can not come up with a simple solution does anyone have a recommendation on an installer in Washington? I know AM Solar is in Eugene, OR and I have talked to them but they really want to sell me a whole solar solution that I do not need.
    If you're going to buy an inverter, get one that is also a charger (aka "converter") built to charge lithium batteries. Battle Born will advise if you give them a call.

Have you seen this thread about the Yeti Goal Zero? While not the most cost-effective solution, it definitely meets your criteria of "simple": https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ero-or-similar
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a 2000w pro sine inverter and golf carts in our 5th wheel. Did not set up separate circuits as the inverter is used very seldom. Set it up so that I just run a good extension to the trailers power plug and by pass my ems. Only use it for the coffee machine mostly and as such did not see any reason to over complicate things. Just have to remember to turn off the converter and make sure fridge and hw tank are on propane. Of course also have a neutral bonding plug for the inverter

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolinhar View Post
    I installed a 2000w pro sine inverter and golf carts in our 5th wheel. Did not set up separate circuits as the inverter is used very seldom. Set it up so that I just run a good extension to the trailers power plug and by pass my ems. Only use it for the coffee machine mostly and as such did not see any reason to over complicate things. Just have to remember to turn off the converter and make sure fridge and hw tank are on propane. Of course also have a neutral bonding plug for the inverter
    Add my wife's blow dryer and that's how we use ours. Usually only once a year for about ten days we dry camp. Good point about the fridge.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolinhar View Post
    Curious about this. You write that you bypass the EMS when using your inverter (I'm guessing that yours is not installed inside on your main power input line). You also write that you need a neutral bonding plug on the inverter.

I was thinking that the bonding plug was typically required on a generator to "trick" the EMS into not throwing faults about the generator's power. Why do you need one on an inverter feeding power into a trailer without an EMS?

Thanks.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My progressive ems is the 1 without the remote so before I wired the bypass on my ems I needed the bonding plug as the ems looked at the inverter power the same as most portable generators. Tried it for the 1st yr and worked ok, but decided that it might be a good idea to wired a a bypass switch incase the ems ever did fail. So really now the bonding plug is not required.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great information, thanks to everyone for sharing. Leads me to a couple more questions.

I purchased the bonding plug for my Honda 200 generator and I have a hardwired EMS, so if I am running off the generator and have the bonding plug in an open receptacle on the generator it should not throw any codes on my EMS? If I plug the Inverter directly into my shore power connection will it throw any codes on my EMS?
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast