User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    If I plug the Inverter directly into my shore power connection will it throw any codes on my EMS?
    I don't know--but if you're getting power from your inverter (a known good source) through the external power connector put the EMS in bypass if it causes a problem. Just remember to put the EMS back to its normal setting prior to reconnecting to a shore power source.
    Last edited by howson; 07-03-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can not bypass the ems then the bonding plug is necessary for allowing the power from the inverter thru at least with my inverter. I know Progressive has said in the past that they don't recommend using an inverter thru the ems but I don't see why not and it has run fine for me for several yrs now.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I plug the Inverter directly into my shore power connection will it throw any codes on my EMS?
    I'm asking, not criticizing, sounds like @Rolinhar has done the same thing successfully. Do you have an inverter/charger that has replaced your converter, or do you just disable the converter?

Otherwise some significant portion of the 120V power you're feeding from your inverter into the side of your trailer is being used to recharge the batteries you're depleting to create the power. Sounds like a government system!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BoyScout, thanks for the reply.

The plan is to turn the breaker for the converter "off" while using the inverter if I use the shore power plug. Which is kind of what I am leaning towards
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I'm asking, not criticizing, sounds like @Rolinhar has done the same thing successfully. Do you have an inverter/charger that has replaced your converter, or do you just disable the converter?

Otherwise some significant portion of the 120V power you're feeding from your inverter into the side of your trailer is being used to recharge the batteries you're depleting to create the power. Sounds like a government system!
    Great point, Mark. The OP might want to put a big label on his inverter with a reminder to power off the converter prior to applying power. I'd go a step further and suggest turning off ALL circuit breakers that are not required to avoid parasitic draws from forgotten wall warts, etc.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Well, I guess I would wait to hear from the pros on this or contact the inverter manufacturer to verify with them.
    I was told by Progressive Dynamics that the waveform of a pure sinewave inverter is somewhat sharp at the peaks of the waveform and can shorten the life of the surge suppressor components.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have completed an inverter, lithium battery, solar, BMS, and solar project on my trailer, would be happy to talk to you, a bit complex to email about. Keith 505-920-0712

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ic2000

Now that all of the other projects are completed I need to dive into the Battery/Inverter solution. After reading all of the threads and looking at all of the different wiring diagrams it really makes my head spin.

KNOWN:
    1. I have a Honda 200 generator
    2. Plan on purchasing 2 Lithium batteries and will not replace the WFCO converter until it goes out then will replace with a converter that will charge the lithium batteries faster.
    3. I have an EMC-HW50C hardwired installed
    4. I have (2) 100w portable solar panels with controller

WANT TO POWER OFF BATTERIES
    1. Want to be able to watch TV(I have a 34" LED/SMART TV)-do not want to purchase a DC TV
    2. Power wife's Keurig
    3. Power Dish Tailgator
    4. Power WiFi extender

Need Advice:
    1. Not an electrician and am not ready to handle the task of adding sub-panels, ATS and smart converter or going the all in one route (Victron Multiplus or GoPower IC2000) with built in ATS/Converter and Inverter)
    2. Do not want to run extension cords into the trailer to power a few things
    3. Do I just buy a 1000-3000 pure sine watt inverter and plug in my shore power cable to inverter and turn off the converter breaker?--How does this affect my EMC-HW50C?
    4. Do I just buy a 1000-3000 pure sine watt inverter and run a few strands of cable and install a couple of plugs to power the 4 items above?
    5. Not planing on adding additional solar or trying to run the AC off the batteries..I did install Smart Starts in both AC units and know that my Honda will only power one at a time.
    6. Just need a simple solution.
    7. Lastly if I can not come up with a simple solution does anyone have a recommendation on an installer in Washington? I know AM Solar is in Eugene, OR and I have talked to them but they really want to sell me a whole solar solution that I do not need.
    I did an IC3000 last summer the 2000 is the same unit just 1000 watts smaller. They are agreat solution it does more than most units it replaces your converter has multiple settings for the different battery types(very important) it also acts as surge protection. I will not lie it not a simple project as you end up running your shore power line into the inverter and running a new line from IC2000 into your power center. But with that you get a power sharing feature so if you are plugged into an 15amp outlet you set the IC to help out so any loads above 15amps the IC chips in adjustable from 1amp to 50amps. This inverter will do every thing you need and more. I also added 510watts of solar and added 4 AGM 6 volt batteries. I love the system, glad to answer any other question. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of what you want to do is way beyond my level of expertise, but I can tell you that when I installed my inverter last year, we had a couple of people on another thread call Progressive and they said that if you run power from an inverter through their EMS it would void the warranty. Don't ask me why, but that is what they said. For me, it was simply not worth the gamble, so I solved this by simply putting a 50A switch between the breaker panel and the EMS. Before the inverter is turned on, the switch to the EMS is turned off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses, a lot of great points and interesting options. I did just order a new converter..even though I was not planning on it but Jeff From BestConverter talked my into a 4-stage that will handle lithium batteries.

Couple of more questions if you do not mind entertaining me:

50A switch between breaker and EMS-My EMS is in between my shore power connection and my breaker box, under my hutch. If I install a breaker between EMS and breaker how would I get power to my breaker box, I was just planning on hitting the bypass mode on the EMS?

IC3000- Wow they are proud of that devices, but seems to have a lot of capabilities. The load sharing, do you have to make adjustments every time you are connected to different power sources? I'm really just looking for a simple solution to run a few items without having to run the generator or extension cords.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast