User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got to our rig yesterday. RV park staff had turned on our AC's two days before our arrival. I asked them to set the temps to 76. Temp in front of rig was 77, bedroom was 76. We were in and out of the door bringing stuff in so I didn't expect maximum performance. We set living area T-stat to 73 and bedroom to 72. By 4PM, temp in living area was up to 78 and bedroom was at 74. I had opened the dump openings on both AC units. It was about 92 outside and we sit in partial shade, both patio awnings deployed, shades pulled on sunny side of rig. By 9PM, both AC units were able to maintain temps where we wanted (73, 72).

Today we have patio awnings out, shades pulled on sunny side of rig and t-stats set same....73 living, 72 bedroom. Bedroom is 72 and at 2:00 PM living area up to 75. Using my infrared thermometer, I have exactly 20 degree differential with the bedroom AC unit and only a 10 degree with the living area AC. Filters on both units are clean.

I took some measurements along the ceiling and sidewalls at the top on the sunny side of the rig. Ceilings averaged 78 -80 and sidewalls about 78. I did not think that was too bad and those readings are cooler than what I would get in full sun in our Country Coach motorhome. The CC was a high end rig. It seems the insulation in the Solitude is decent.

At this point, I plan to call the dealer tomorrow and have them check the living area AC. It does not seem to be doing the job.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve found the best way to more quickly cool the living room is to run both AC units and open the dump vents in the main room unit.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I’ve found the best way to more quickly cool the living room is to run both AC units and open the dump vents in the main room unit.
    That's ok if the unit is up to snuff. Any AC that cannot produce a difference of at least 20 degrees between intake and outlet air is either low on freon or having some other issue.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow Up Dealer tech came today. He checked both AC units thoroughly and used a HVAC type thermometer to measure return and discharge air on both units. Running on high cool, he showed me the readings and both units were producing a 18 - 20 degree differential. My infrared thermometer really does a better job of reading surface temps and is not good for measuring air streams.

The dividers between return and discharge were firmly in place with no leaks.

Bottom line....both my AC units are working as designed. He admitted that on our rig, two 15K btu AC units may be taxed in really hot and humid weather. Heat index here today was 99 but we had more overcast than sun so we were able to maintain 74 in living area and 72 in bedroom. It is what it is.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s our experience with a Reflection 311BHS with 2 AC units (both ducted)...

We are camping in southern Utah with 103 degree temps and we maintain 76-78 degrees in the main room and 70 in the bunkhouse and master bedroom. We have 6 people in the rig and are cooking with the oven (don’t judge me ... dinner was delicious! &#128522.

Both units are blowing cold air nicely- just a lot of heat load to over come. Overall I’m very please with the performance of the cooling system.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, another discovery. While walking near the steps up to the bedroom, I felt really warm, humid air on my feet. It was pouring from under the lower step (the shoe storage area). I had the same issue this past winter with cold air coming from that area. It is open to the basement and several on this forum said it was necessary for return air for the furnace. Well, I am not sure I buy that. I put some flexible foam padding in the area to stop the flow of warm air. We will see if that helps with cooling.

Now we know why the hallway seemed so much warmer and humid than the rest of the coach.

After blocking the airflow from the basement under the steps, the temp dropped in the living area from 76F to the set temp of 73F within 45 minutes. I called Grand Design and was told it was fine to block that area during the cooling season but suggested leaving it open when using the furnace to prevent the furnace from overheating. He said that area allows warm air to escape the basement area when the furnace is running. This past winter, the only air we felt coming from that area when the furnace was running was cold air.
    Last edited by KirbyRVA; 07-10-2019 at 09:01 AM.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too run the a/c in the room where I'm at. I cut the vents off to the bedroom during the day and run it in the kitchen (1 unit). And we just about always have two floor fans running to circulate the air.

We're fortunate to have big trees in most of our campgrounds' sites. Shade really helps in the hot southern summer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I run a box fan on the floor when the AC can't keep it. It seems to circulate the air pretty good and help cool the rig down. I have little USB fans on the counters here and there to keep air moving as well.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    currently in Phoenix
    it gets 110 out there during July and no, 2 ACs are not going cool any RV, especially a 43 footer. I knew this before buying our solitude. I have a 8500 btu portable I set up for 2 months a year if we are in this kind of weather
    things that help, trees over the unit, walls on the west side, its all a bout the shade and not building up heat from the sun beating down, or just spraying down the sides of the unit when it is hot will do a temporary cool down.
    2019 375 RES Linen
    KI6KER General
    Home Base Phoenix

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234