User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank rinse hose connection leaking on Nautilus panel

I went to rinse the black tank just before leaving our last campsite and saw that the water was leaking out of the connection. The black female connection is loose - actually can be spun around and water really leaks where the connection goes through the wall. (I hope my description is clear.) Has anybody had this problem? I've searched for it, but there doesn't seem to be any discussion. I opened the wall from the basement into the water line area today and disconnected the black tank rinse line and see that there is a plastic fitting that seems to be snapped into place. The hose connection on the outside just spins and doesn't loosen - I'm thinking that this piece was snapped into place through the wall and I need to get it out to see if/where it is broken. Does anyone have any thoughts before I go charging in without really knowing what I'm doing???
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progress report: I disconnected the line going to the black tank behind the Nautilus wall and reconnected it to be sure that it is tight (hand tight). Next, I blew air through the line at 40lbs, to see if there was a blockage at the tank end - the air went in easily. Finally, I added a second washer to the connection on the outside and reattached the water hose - lo and behold, no leak. My guess is that the washer in there had shrunk and was leaving a space that water would get around. The second washer apparently tightened everything up, so no more leak. I always make sure that hoses are as tight as I can get them, so I know that this was not a loose connection with the hose. I will be watching this like a hawk for the next few times we go camping. Thankfully, it is fixed without too much trouble.
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The female part that spins around does not have a seal when the hose is attached, it is just a plastic to plastic mating surface. You can "see" this on the female end of the hose you are using. If dirt or any debris gets in there and you attach your hose and tighten it up this can cause damage to this "seal" surface. I have had the brass fittings fail so the plastic would be more likely to fail after use.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Brian. I noticed that when I took it apart. I started using a quick-connect on those connections on the Reflection when we first got it last year for that reason. I had that problem with hoses at home and did not want anything like that happening when we are camping.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi NY finger....

I installed a brass 90° elbow to the black tank flush fitting to reduce fatigue on those cheap plastic connections and followed that with a quick connect.
    Might be a good idea now that you've got her all sealed up !!

Same 90° elbow for the fresh feed wt pressure regulator , of course.

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    Hi NY finger....

I installed a brass 90° elbow to the black tank flush fitting to reduce fatigue on those cheap plastic connections and followed that with a quick connect.
    Might be a good idea now that you've got her all sealed up !!

Same 90° elbow for the fresh feed wt pressure regulator , of course.

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Will do that! Thanks, Michael!

Eric

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use these on fresh water inlet and black water rinse inlets. These remain connected all the time.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Br...7935/203019991

When I leave the trailer, even for an hour, I shut them off at each device. Prevents flooding in case of pipe burst in the coach.

With the way they are constructed they seat very well on the trailer side not needing 2 washers like a hose might need.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another cool device as recommended by Rob. I use this garden hose water meter connected to the hose to measure how much water flows through it. It’s especially handy when filling fresh water tank.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have one it at my vacation home to measure amount of dilution water added to chlorine tank to keep ratio proper. This meter is very accurate.

Last edited by Jerryr; 07-04-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I use these on fresh water inlet and black water rinse inlets. These remain connected all the time.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Br...7935/203019991

When I leave the trailer, even for an hour, I shut them off at each device. Prevents flooding in case of pipe burst in the coach.

With the way they are constructed they seat very well on the trailer side not needing 2 washers like a hose might need.

I have 45 degree brass connectors also, but use quick connects with shutoffs attached to those.