User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riceball1 View Post
    Attachment 33757Attachment 33758Attachment 33759Attachment 33760Attachment 33761Finally got around to suspension upgrade. New wet bolts, Cree 3000, and repack bearings. Job went great. Before upgrade I had 3.25 inches of clearance on curb side and 4 inches on other. After both went up 1/2 inch. Did it in my driveway with 2 floor jacks and 2 good sized jack stands. I also kept the truck hooked up for stability. The plastic spacers were trashed. Trailer 18 months old with 8500 towing mileage.
    You will like the upgrade. I originally wanted to use the 3000's but I did not have the required clearance and did not want to risk it so I used the upgraded Dexter system. It does what it is supposed to do and smooths out the trailer's ride. My plastic bushings were toast just like yours. I wish the axle manufactures would just install the brass ones with wet bolts when they build the axles. I would be willing to pay a little more for the trailer if it meant I did not have to crawl under the trailer and install them.

Dale
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riceball1 View Post
    Attachment 33757Attachment 33758Attachment 33759Attachment 33760Attachment 33761Finally got around to suspension upgrade. New wet bolts, Cree 3000, and repack bearings. Job went great. Before upgrade I had 3.25 inches of clearance on curb side and 4 inches on other. After both went up 1/2 inch. Did it in my driveway with 2 floor jacks and 2 good sized jack stands. I also kept the truck hooked up for stability. The plastic spacers were trashed. Trailer 18 months old with 8500 towing mileage.
    Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear it went good. I too plan on doing it myself and my thought was also to leave the TV hooked up.

I have the LCI Road Armor to install but am waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting on the MORRyde HD Shackle set. They are out everywhere. Hopefully e-trailer will get them in next week, so I've been told. If not, I may install the road armor with current shackles and come back to those when I do get them.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's everything holding up Dale? I would like to add the SumoSprings to our trailer & i want to go with the Road Armor but i can't find any info on how much clearance you need? Does anybody know?
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsman3 View Post
    How's everything holding up Dale? I would like to add the SumoSprings to our trailer & i want to go with the Road Armor but i can't find any info on how much clearance you need? Does anybody know?
    My upgrades are doing great and drastically improved how the trailer tows. The SumoSprings are a great addition. I really like being able to grease the shackles whenever I repack my wheel bearings. I always do it the first warm day in late February or early March and it takes less than a day to grease everything, pull the wheel bearings and inspect them and repack them, and inspect the brakes and adjust them. It would be nice if the trailer builders offered these upgrades from the factory.

Take care,
    Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dale...I know this post is getting pretty old...but how did you get the crossmember in place since the drain carries on past all three hangers, including the center hanger?

Hi DaQUOTE=Dale G;243855]All of this started when I decided to upgrade my tires from the Westlake to the Goodyear Endurance. I had not had any issues with the Westlakes but I was never comfortable with the tires on the left of the trailer since they only had 40PSI in them when the trailer was delivered to me. Now the tires had over 9000 miles and every time we went out, I worried about those two tires. When I went to take the tires off to get the new tires, I found a cut in the sidewall of one of the tires and the inside of the left rear tire was worn meaning bent axle/spindle. So, I decided to do some suspension upgrades while Grand Design decides what they are going to do about the axle.

I was going to go with the MORryde CRE3000 but they have a requirement for 3" of tire clearance and I only have 2 3/4" to 2 7/8". I then looked at the Dexter E-Z Flex which is a direct replacement for the equalizer that is on my axles. I figured if I did not have any clearance issues with the stock equalizer then the E-Z Flex should not have any either. They also get great reviews. I was also going to add the Lippert Shock Kit but I did not have the tire to frame clearance necessary to install the kit. After talking to the people at etrailer.com I decided to install the SumoSprings for trailers.

Grand Design still hasn't made a decision on the axle and we are getting ready to go out for a couple of weeks all the way to Door County, WI and I really wanted the upgrades before we went out again. So, I decided to go ahead and install everything and if I ever get a new axle all they will have to do is put the bronze bushings in the new axle if it comes with new springs.

This is what I upgraded, Dexter E-Z Flex K71-655-00 equalizer, MORryde Heavy Duty Shackle and Wet Bolt Upgrade Kit UO12-016, MORryde X-Factor Crossmember on the center hanger, SumoSprings TSS-107-40. I did not do the crossmember on the outside hangers because of the clearance with the gray tank drain and the back hanger.

Everything was very easy to install, just time consuming getting the trailer jacked up and stable. The SumoSprings are super easy to install. After getting all of the old stuff off I was glad I did not wait on the new axle and went ahead and did the upgrade. The bushings were completely shot and the bolts in the shackles were so worn you could spin them with your fingers. This meant that the shackles had about 1/8" to 1/4" play in each one. I can't imagine how much the play would transfer to the axles but it had to affect it.

I also had the hangers that are too wide for the springs which caused the side of the hanger to be pulled in when the bolt was tightened. To stop this, I got gold anodized grade 8 washers and placed one on each side of the spring when I put it back into the hanger. There is actually plenty of room and I did not have to force it. So now when the bolt is tightened the sides of the hanger stays straight. For the center hanger for the equalizer there was only room for one washer, but again, it made the sides of the hanger stay straight when the bolt was tightened.

I haven't had a chance to test drive it but we go out in a little over a week and I will let everyone know how much better the trailer pulls with all of the improvements.

Dale[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBJS2670MK View Post
    Hi Dale...I know this post is getting pretty old...but how did you get the crossmember in place since the drain carries on past all three hangers, including the center hanger?
    QUOTE]
    I don't remember having a big problem with the center support. I think I did have to loosen the pipe support and lower it a little, but it had no affect on its operation. I had thought about putting it on all three but there is no way to make the aft one work, the pipe is way too close. I don't have the camper anymore or I would take a picture for you.
    Hope this helps,
    Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale G View Post
    I don't remember having a big problem with the center support. I think I did have to loosen the pipe support and lower it a little, but it had no affect on its operation. I had thought about putting it on all three but there is no way to make the aft one work, the pipe is way too close. I don't have the camper anymore or I would take a picture for you.
    Hope this helps,
    Dale
    Thanks Dale, I did notice you had sold it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBJS2670MK View Post
    Thanks Dale, I did notice you had sold it.
    Not a problem, I hope it helped.
    Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12