Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F-350 Payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-350 Payload

Hi, just bought an F-350 SRW with the 11,500# GVWR "package". (Bought from an out of town dealer using the Costco program, so didn't actually see the truck until I bought it; but was familiar with 350's in general, and had the non-negotiable Costco price, so wasn't really worried about it.) I did try and get the payload on it though beforehand, to ensure it would meet our future needs. (More than enough for our Imagine 2600RB we are currently towing; but looking at getting a 5th wheeler down the road a bit.) Rather than payload per se, I was given the curb weight on the (specific) truck, 7,242 lbs.; which seemed liked the most pertinent number anyway Doing the math I figured I had about 4,200 lbs. of payload. But, the door pillar sticker says 3,415, and I'm not sure why my rated payload is so much less.

It's got E 125/122 tires all around, which as far a I know are rated for over 3,600 on a SRW configuration; so they seem to support the axle ratings (5,200 front/7,230 rear) & GVWR with no problem (of course). So, doesn't seem to be the tires. I get that the GVWR is going to be less than the 2 axles put together; but I can't figure why it is only rated for 3.415 lbs. overall payload, instead of the GVWR less the curb weight, like I figured.

Rejected a dually as we didn't see going super big on a 5th wheel, and didn't want to deal with the extra width on a daily basis. But 3,415 lbs. really starts to limit our 5th wheel options. Not that knowledgeable about tires. Would stepping up tires make a difference? Or, did I need that dang dually for any 5th wheeler over about 12,000 lbs GVWR (leaving about 700 lbs for stuff other than pin weight)?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualema View Post
    Hi, just bought an F-350 SRW with the 11,500# GVWR "package". (Bought from an out of town dealer using the Costco program, so didn't actually see the truck until I bought it; but was familiar with 350's in general, and had the non-negotiable Costco price, so wasn't really worried about it.) I did try and get the payload on it though beforehand, to ensure it would meet our future needs. (More than enough for our Imagine 2600RB we are currently towing; but looking at getting a 5th wheeler down the road a bit.) Rather than payload per se, I was given the curb weight on the (specific) truck, 7,242 lbs.; which seemed liked the most pertinent number anyway Doing the math I figured I had about 4,200 lbs. of payload. But, the door pillar sticker says 3,415, and I'm not sure why my rated payload is so much less.

It's got E 125/122 tires all around, which as far a I know are rated for over 3,600 on a SRW configuration; so they seem to support the axle ratings (5,200 front/7,230 rear) & GVWR with no problem (of course). So, doesn't seem to be the tires. I get that the GVWR is going to be less than the 2 axles put together; but I can't figure why it is only rated for 3.415 lbs. overall payload, instead of the GVWR less the curb weight, like I figured.

Rejected a dually as we didn't see going super big on a 5th wheel, and didn't want to deal with the extra width on a daily basis. But 3,415 lbs. really starts to limit our 5th wheel options. Not that knowledgeable about tires. Would stepping up tires make a difference? Or, did I need that dang dually for any 5th wheeler over about 12,000 lbs GVWR (leaving about 700 lbs for stuff other than pin weight)?
    Check out the linked thread and the PDF attached to post #1--you'll find that your 3,415 is actually on the high end of what most people have for an F-350 (diesel--I assume). https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ad-Information

*Nothing* you do to your truck changes the GVWR (11,500 lbs). Anything done (air bags, different tires, etc, etc) only allows the truck to better manage the rated 11,500 lbs. Check out an AirLift manual if you have any doubts--it will state exactly what I just typed.

To verify what your real payload numbers are, go to a CAT scale and (with a full tank of fuel and whatever passengers you will normally carry) and get the truck weighed. THAT number subtracted from 11,500 is your available payload. There's more to it than that, but IMO an excellent starting point.

I don't know about "need", but your last comment is exactly why I bought a dually. If I can't tow it with my dually it's probably a house.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curb weight of 7,244 lbs seems very low for a reasonably equipped Diesel F350. My 2019 F350 Lariat Diesel CCSB weighs 7,977 lbs and my previous 2019 F350 Lariat Diesel weighed 8,000 lbs curb weight.

A Gas F350 would possibly weigh 7,244 lbs.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s a weight sheet of a 2018 F350 Diesel CCSB with full fuel, 240# driver, 50# dog and a a bed cover about 100#. It weighed 8400 lbs on the scales. His payload sticker on the door shows 3,478 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7A33A561-B58C-4AA8-82D9-E91F2A8FF1A1.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... Maybe it's as simple as that then, the dealer gave me the wrong curb weight. Said he got it from the invoice... Guess I'll find a CAT scale and weigh it and that will be that. Nice to know my calculation basis was correct (when the wife reams me over this); but doesn't change might need a different truck in a couple of years... Possibly a different wife too!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sales rep gave you the wrong curb weights.

If you look at published curb weights for a BASE XL F350 CCSB Diesel 4x4 it’s only 7494 lbs. add another 50” lbs for a decent equipped Lariat or above and you get 8000 lbs plus.

Here are specs ford publishes. https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-du...s/f350-lariat/

Last edited by Jerryr; 07-03-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    Jerry & Linda

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help guys. As soon as I read the replies, I knew y'all were right. I should've checked before I signed, but I thought I had the payload question answered. I should have known a 350 CC diesel wouldn't have 4,200 lbs of payload. Will be fine for at least the next couple of years at least though.

BTW, if I do have to go to a dually, it will be a 450, for that front axle. This 350 turns like a … insert the appropriate simile. How do y'all park the dang thing?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help guys. As soon as I read the replies, I knew y'all were right. I should've checked before I signed, but I thought I had the payload question answered. I should have known a 350 CC diesel wouldn't have 4,200 lbs of payload. Will be fine for at least the next couple of years at least though.

BTW, if I do have to go to a dually, it will be a 450, for that front axle. This 350 turns like a … insert the appropriate simile. How do y'all park the dang thing?
    Enjoy your truck until you need something different. I have the same but a long bed. You can pull a number of fifth wheels with what you have. If not, deal with it then.

As far as parking, we park in the outfield most places, and back into spots. It’s not too bad, but not like my small suv either.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason to go with a DRW is for stability. I was coming back into California on I-80 from Salt Lake City. We had huge headwinds and crosswinds. The semis were being blown about. Guys in Sprinter vans were being blown a half lane over. Fortunately we were rock solid stable for the drive although I was definitely alert and nervous.

At at one point we saw more than half a dozen dust devils all around us. In fact we must have driven through one because I felt a sudden sharp jolt which felt like it was going to shove us over a lane. But it never did. I was VERY thankful we were in a DRW at that point.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might enjoy this episode of Keep Your Daydream where Marc discusses this very topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0lwUNxrq6E
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast