User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxxair fan - wiring issues

Just got my new Imagine XLS 21bhe. First thing I did was order two new maxxair deluxe fans to replace the cheap factory ones. The fan in the main living area installed and works like a charm. However when I removed the old fan in the bathroom I noticed it was wired differently...only had one black (positive) wire instead of two. It was the exact same fan so I thought I would give it a try. Well, I installed my maxxair and wired it up with the single black wire in the trailer to black wire on the maxxair and it doesn’t work. Any ideas? Why would they have wired two identical fans differently?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be 2 wires for the fan in the bathroom. A color (Black in this case) and White to complete the circuit. When I added my Maxx Air fans, the wiring was right there and easy to tap into it. No issues at all. Even in the back bunk, there was a regular non powered vent, it was no problem to hook up to since a 12V duplex wire was right there.

I would suggest to check again and make sure there is nothing being over looked. Good luck?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can check again but pretty sure I didn’t overlook anything. The first fan had two black and two white from the TT and one of each from the fan for a total of three of each color. The second fan had the same total of three white but was one short on the black when I disconnected. It worked fine before I removed it so I’m confused. Is it possible I got a dud maxxair?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a battery charger, you can connect the two leads and see if the fan works. At this point I would use a multi meter to perform basic voltage checks to make sure you are connected to the right wires. BTW, we're a simple people. We like pictures [emoji16]

Good luck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    If you have a battery charger, you can connect the two leads and see if the fan works. At this point I would use a multi meter to perform basic voltage checks to make sure you are connected to the right wires. BTW, we're a simple people. We like pictures [emoji16]

Good luck.

Ok attached are two pics. One shows the main area fan. You can see there are two purple wires that I connected to the black on the fan. And there are two white wires that I connected to white. This one works. The other pic is in the bathroom where there is only one colored (brown I guess) wire which I connected to black and two white which I connected to white. This is exactly how the original fan was wired. I don’t see any additional wires other than some pink wires that are going to the light right next to it. Btw, this is the first time I've attached pictures so I hope I did it right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIres main area.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	21134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wires bathroom.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	21135

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No blown fuse? There isn't a wall switch for that fan is there?
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    No blown fuse? There isn't a wall switch for that fan is there?
    Gene, I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry. I completely forgot there was a separate wall switch for this fan. I turned it on and problem solved! Thanks everyone for the help!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha the wall switch! I forgot it is there. We leave ours on all the time. We have a remote for our Maxx Air fans. We have 2 MA fans that use remotes. 1 that was included (wall mounted switch) with the trailer in the kitchen. 1 manual in the bunk room since it's easy to get too. Good to see it was something simple stupid.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarkson View Post
    Just got my new Imagine XLS 21bhe. First thing I did was order two new maxxair deluxe fans to replace the cheap factory ones. The fan in the main living area installed and works like a charm. However when I removed the old fan in the bathroom I noticed it was wired differently...only had one black (positive) wire instead of two. It was the exact same fan so I thought I would give it a try. Well, I installed my maxxair and wired it up with the single black wire in the trailer to black wire on the maxxair and it doesn’t work. Any ideas? Why would they have wired two identical fans differently?
    CB

I know your issue is resolved, but I'd like to know.. How difficult was it to remove the original fans. Do I assume correctly that you had to remove the original metal frame and all from the roof top?

Thanks
    Mike

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
    CB

I know your issue is resolved, but I'd like to know.. How difficult was it to remove the original fans. Do I assume correctly that you had to remove the original metal frame and all from the roof top?

Thanks
    Mike
    Hi Mike, not hard at all. You are correct that the metal and caulking needed to be removed from the roof. My unit is new so it may have been easier to clean and prep the space than an older unit might be. First one took about two hours from start to finish. Second one only about an hour after the learning curve flattened out (note the hour doesn’t include the time spent posting on this thread and figuring out the switch lol). About half of that time was spent pulling up the old caulking with my wife’s help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast