Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitchen Slideout Woes 312BHTS

Some of you may have read about stroh18’s slideout issues. I had posted in that thread about a loose LH corner block that pinched and kinked the fridge propane line. The corner block fell off in my hand when I tried to straighten it. Turns out that should have been a very big clue that something major was wrong.

Got a call from the service manager at the dealer where our 312 is for some warranty work following our first outing. He calmly said they were working through the work order of the 12 or 13 items, but there is now a new and more serious issue. As they were trying to diagnose the problem with the corner block, he extended the kitchen slide. As he did so, it tipped inwards at the top and the bottom plastic floor blocks (not rollers like they should be) gouged the vinyl plank flooring just in front of the kitchen island. It put a softball size hole in the floor. Because of the way the flooring is installed before walls, slides and islands are built, it’s not a simple solution to replace. Worse than that, the cause of the slide tipping is unknown and will require further examination. Worse than that, we’re supposed to be leaving in a week for a 3-week trip to Montana. The slide operates, but requires someone to pull on the top edge when retracting. When extending, it just gouges the floor again. They don’t know if they can get it operational by our departure date. They do know the floor won’t be repaired although a commercial flooring contractor is going to take a look at it tomorrow or Friday.

The Service manager did say that he will put in for approval with GD for full replacement of the floor. But... that will result in having to install transitions at the bunkhouse and master bedroom doors. I am not at all pleased with that solution.

What I learned is that if something is amiss, take the time to fully investigate as to why. I didn’t and now it may have cost us our trip that we have been planning for 4 months.

Update read another thread that this a known issue for the galley slide with 12 cu ft fridge. Not sure if the corner block and propane line are related. Waiting to hear from dealer. Maybe a call to GD is warranted.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 07-03-2019 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Typos and updated
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF601743-8B72-4A88-A56E-984878395722.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	21136
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Some of you may have read about stroh18’s slideout issues. I had posted in that thread about a loose LH corner block that pinched and kinked the fridge propane line. The corner block fell off in my hand when I tried to straighten it. Turns out that should have been a very big clue that something major was wrong.

Got a call from the service manager at the dealer where our 312 is for some warranty work following our first outing. He calmly said they were working through the work order of the 12 or 13 items, but there is now a new and more serious issue. As they were trying to diagnose the problem with the corner block, he extended the kitchen slide. As he did so, it tipped inwards at the top and the bottom plastic floor blocks (not rollers like they should be) gouged the vinyl plank flooring just in front of the kitchen island. It put a softball size hole in the floor. Because of the way the flooring is installed before walls, slides and islands are built, it’s not a simple solution to replace. Worse than that, the cause of the slide tipping is unknown and will require further examination. Worse than that, we’re supposed to be leaving in a week for a 3-week trip to Montana. The slide operates, but requires someone to pull on the top edge when retracting. When extending, it just gouges the floor again. They don’t know if they can get it operational by our departure date. They do know the floor won’t be repaired although a commercial flooring contractor is going to take a look at it tomorrow or Friday.

The Service manager did say that he will put in for approval with GD for full replacement of the floor. But... that will result in having to install transitions at the bunkhouse and master bedroom doors. I am not at all pleased with that solution.

What I learned is that if something is amiss, take the time to fully investigate as to why. I didn’t and now it may have cost us our trip that we have been planning for 4 months.

Update read another thread that this a known issue for the galley slide with 12 cu ft fridge. Not sure if the corner block and propane line are related. Waiting to hear from dealer. Maybe a call to GD is warranted.
    I feel your pain. I noticed my floor bubbling when pulling the galley slide in right in front of the fridge on our 297rsts. Took it to the dealer, they adjusted the slide ,but it’s still bubbling when I roll in the slide. I would have left it at the dealer, but we had a week long trip planned and I wasn’t gonna give up my trip.

Upon investigating the piece looks to be a wood slider piece, so I may try to file it down a bit before it actually does what it did to your floor. That sucks. I don’t want them tearing anything out to replace the floor. It’ll never be the same. Best of luck to you.
    2017 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crewcab
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That just sucks..I hope they can/will make it right for you.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmert View Post
    That just sucks..I hope they can/will make it right for you.
    Finally got the rig back from the dealer's shop. Floor repair by a third party flooring contractor wasn't acceptable. There was glue visible on the surface of the patch along all edges. Because the cut lines were not perfectly straight, the cutout and patch were clearly visible although the new flooring dye lot was an exact match with the old. There was also a new 10"-long knife blade slice in the existing floor adjacent to the patch cut out - looks like the knife slipped off of the straight edge. Because the patch is right against the island and extends past it, I think the only solution now is to pull the island and replace the entire floor - at least in the living area. This will require transitions at the bathroom, the bunkhouse and master BR. It will also will require shoe mould at cabinet bases. In my opinion, that repair does not make us whole, but then that is not the purpose of the warranty. The dealer wants me to bring our unit back to review and discuss with the service manager. I said, "no, we all know what the situation is and a plan can be formulated on the phone". And Grand Design customer service should be involved. Maybe I have to take it to the factory? I'd install LVT planks myself and take some cash to do so. I don't know what the right approach is at this point. The service manager is supposed to call me when he returns later this week from vacation.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got the rig back from the dealer's shop. Floor repair by a third party flooring contractor wasn't acceptable. There was glue visible on the surface of the patch along all edges. Because the cut lines were not perfectly straight, the cutout and patch were clearly visible although the new flooring dye lot was an exact match with the old. There was also a new 10"-long knife blade slice in the existing floor adjacent to the patch cut out - looks like the knife slipped off of the straight edge. Because the patch is right against the island and extends past it, I think the only solution now is to pull the island and replace the entire floor - at least in the living area. This will require transitions at the bathroom, the bunkhouse and master BR. It will also will require shoe mould at cabinet bases. In my opinion, that repair does not make us whole, but then that is not the purpose of the warranty. The dealer wants me to bring our unit back to review and discuss with the service manager. I said, "no, we all know what the situation is and a plan can be formulated on the phone". And Grand Design customer service should be involved. Maybe I have to take it to the factory? I'd install LVT planks myself and take some cash to do so. I don't know what the right approach is at this point. The service manager is supposed to call me when he returns later this week from vacation.
    Any update?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually dropped the coach off at the dealer on Tuesday to revisit the flooring (and have 5 or 6 other pesky warranty issues addressed). A new flooring contractor with 20 years of experience of only doing RV floors took a look at it yesterday. He doesn't really want to try to patch the area because the patch will be larger and potentially more noticeable. A new patch will extend further into the light path from the entry door and living room windows. The seam sealer used for the first patch has a gloss finish that makes the edges of the patched area noticeable. The new flooring contractor wants to test some sealer removers on some of the unused flooring that was sent for the original repair. He is worried that using something like acetone will remove or lighten the floor color making things worse. If we can just take care of the glossy sealer around the patch, maybe it will be acceptable. I don't much like the option of replacing the entire living room/hallway/entry floor and having to install transitions and shoe mould/baseboard. . I thought more about using LVT planks, but that may result in increased floor thickness that then causes issues with the slide rollers and necessitating slide height adjustments. Haven't spoken any further with GD as service manager is working hard on getting the best solution. Perhaps a good area rug....
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @Fsalmy, what was the final outcome on your floor. I'm about to take mine in for warranty work as mine is getting worse.
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soarvet View Post
    Hey @Fsalmy, what was the final outcome on your floor. I'm about to take mine in for warranty work as mine is getting worse.
    Left it as is. Tried a sealer remover to no effect. Hopefully, the glossy areas will wear down over time, but it is not ideal. The new slide rollers seem to be working well. I don't notice any buckling of the flooring when extending or retracting the slide. The slide does tip a fair amount and without the rollers, I am 100% certain it would have gouged the floor again and again. That slide with fridge, range, tv, fireplace is way too heavy for the plastic blocks that were installed originally.

Make sure you have your dealer contact GD regarding the recommended repair. The service manager had to talk with a couple of people at GD before he found someone that said, "yes, replace blocks with rollers".
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Left it as is. Tried a sealer remover to no effect. Hopefully, the glossy areas will wear down over time, but it is not ideal. The new slide rollers seem to be working well. I don't notice any buckling of the flooring when extending or retracting the slide. The slide does tip a fair amount and without the rollers, I am 100% certain it would have gouged the floor again and again. That slide with fridge, range, tv, fireplace is way too heavy for the plastic blocks that were installed originally.

Make sure you have your dealer contact GD regarding the recommended repair. The service manager had to talk with a couple of people at GD before he found someone that said, "yes, replace blocks with rollers".
    Thank you for the quick reply! So, they ended up replacing those plastic sliders with rollers huh, that's good to know.
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS