User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving across FL panhandle - MS, LA, then to Port Aransas - ROUTE?

Hello -
    Wondering what's the best route to take from FL - Port Aransas TX. Looks like I-10 then at Port Aransas there is a ferry- not too sure about that! Will be traveling with a 30' fifth wheel. Campgrounds along the way: Fred Gannon S.P., Davis Bayou N.P., Burns Point in LA, and the westbound Chambers Rest Area in TX and Gulf Waters RV in Port Aransas. Will be visiting friends in Port Aransas.
    So, do you recommend routing around the ferry crossing?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy_PA View Post
    Hello -
    Wondering what's the best route to take from FL - Port Aransas TX. Looks like I-10 then at Port Aransas there is a ferry- not too sure about that! Will be traveling with a 30' fifth wheel. Campgrounds along the way: Fred Gannon S.P., Davis Bayou N.P., Burns Point in LA, and the westbound Chambers Rest Area in TX and Gulf Waters RV in Port Aransas. Will be visiting friends in Port Aransas.
    So, do you recommend routing around the ferry crossing?
    Be careful what day and time you go through Mobile on I-10. Traffic through the city is very heavy during rush hours. The bridge across Mobile Bay is no fun, and there's a tunnel with sharp curves just before you enter the city. (Keep a lookout and you'll see the USS Alabama moored in the bay on the southwest side--off to your left as you head west--just before entering the tunnel.)

If this is your first time across I-10, don't follow it south to New Orleans--take I-12 and you'll pick up I-10 again near Baton Rouge. Obvious when you look at the map but not so obvious if you're unprepared.

I've never been to Port Aransas so no advice on your ferry question.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't take the ferry over to Port A with a truck and fifth wheel. If your coming down IH 37south into Corpus Christi take highway 358 over to Mustang Island and then left on Hwy 361 up to Port Aransas from the south. Gulf Waters resort is gorgeous, I'm sure I will full time there in the winter when I retire in a few years.
    Last edited by Txfivver; 07-05-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to take a bathroom break BEFORE Lake Charles. 45 minutes to cross the bridge mid-day on a week day.

RV spot East side Louisiana - Fontainebleau State Park, Mandeville, La (just off Interstate 12) is a old sugar plantation turned into a park. Lots of wildlife to include feral hogs and deer on the shores of Lake Ponchartrain.

RV spot West side Louisiana - A+ Motel & RV Park in Sulfur, La was a very pleasant surprise. Easy I10 access and a nice quiet level paved spot for the night. Did I mention super clean and an adult pool?
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 07-05-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I wouldn't take the ferry over to Port A with a truck and fifth wheel. If your coming down IH 37south into Corpus Christi take highway 358 over to Mustang Island and then left on Hwy 361 up to Port Aransas from the south. Gulf Waters resort is gorgeous, I'm sure I will full time there in the winter when I retire in a few years.
    I concur. You COULD take the ferry, but it could be a bit dicey, some of the turns from the lanes can be sharp and the traffic is usually thick.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Be careful what day and time you go through Mobile on I-10. Traffic through the city is very heavy during rush hours. The bridge across Mobile Bay is no fun, and there's a tunnel with sharp curves just before you enter the city. (Keep a lookout and you'll see the USS Alabama moored in the bay on the southwest side--off to your left as you head west--just before entering the tunnel.)

If this is your first time across I-10, don't follow it south to New Orleans--take I-12 and you'll pick up I-10 again near Baton Rouge. Obvious when you look at the map but not so obvious if you're unprepared.

I've never been to Port Aransas so no advice on your ferry question.
    Like Howson said Mobile can get busy and the drivers will make you think you’re in Atlanta. I 12 gets you out of downtown N O but is a heavy truck route, last time I was on it was a ruff stretch of road. Still your best option without going up north some to I20.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoid Mobile at rush hour, great advice above.

Don't go through New Orleans unless you're stopping there.

Baton Rouge has some of the worst traffic of any place I've visited. Stay clear of the East route at 5pm and the west route in the morning during work days on I10. The amount of traffic of people commuting from Denhim and the burbs out there is crazy.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN