User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody have any updates on the factory solar option as far as how it operates, what brand/model inverter it uses, etc?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi B&K, The wife and I ordered a 390rk a few weeks ago and added the solar package. Beforehand, I reached out to the area manager for GD to ask a few questions. Here's what he said it comes with;

2000w Pure sine inverter/charger made by Magnum
    Jaboni 30w mppt controller
    only one 300w panel BUT the MC4 port on the roof allows one additional panel to be added bringing it to a 600w system. I'm told additional panels can be added but you'll need another 30w controller.

From what I gather, it will still come with the single 12w battery but that can be upgraded pretty easily.

Hope this helps..

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on what I've read through the owners manual and been able to triangulate, yes its a small 2000w magnum inverter (I assume Pure Sine), a small Jaboni mppt 30w charge controller, a single 300w panel that's 32.3V and 9.3A , and a jaboni 2x mc4 port on the roof about midship. No mention of shunted battery monitor so I'd assume not.

Seems their whole solar upgrade option is sorely underpowered and underwired (and overpriced) for any serious boondocking system, but hey it's something that many people might like.

The roof port only has 2 MC4 connectors and is only wired with 10 AWG wire - so it definitely would have major voltage drop with any larger array. I wired 4x400w (49V, 9.5A) panels on a different coach using 2AWG (all parallel connections). I'm wondering that since all the coaches are prewired for the roof solar even if the solar option is not chosen, if we could use this port to pull larger wire, and if so, I assume we'd be pulling it from midship on the roof up to the front battery compartment maybe through some kind of conduit that would fit larger wire? Hopefully?

I measured the roof on the M349 and saw that I could fit 5 x 400w panels (40"x80") up there. But i would take off the Jabroni box and put a waterproof combiner box with busbars up there and run the 2AWG down to a larger Victron MPPT if possible and then a Victron Multiplus 3000W inverter/charger. There's so much space in the battery bay to put together a beautiful system, and the fuse panel is right there up front under the main entertainment area for the AC hookups so the sky's the limit.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10awg is not limiting at all - up to 40amps. The trick to optimizing the use of that is to run your panels in series thus raising the voltage NOT the current. The increased voltage has the benefit of a much lower voltage drop at cables and connectors. Most panels are between 5 and 11 amps, so well below what 10 awg will safely carry. My panels actually have 12awg for their leads from the PV box. The higher voltage approach seems to work better with MPPT controllers as well.

But ya, the rest of the factory optioned components are severely meh. The value is in the wires with MC4 already being ran to the roof, better off to do your own shunt, batteries, panels, inverter imho.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12