User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to remove cover on Turning Point pin box?

I want to remove the plastic cover on my Turning Point pin box to mount a backup mirror. There are 4 plastic caps but I’m not sure if they are clips or screw covers. Does anyone know how to remove this cover?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob,

I have the Engineering drawing of the Turning point hitch that may help understand how it is put together, if you PM me your email address I can send it to you

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark. It looks like those are nylon rivets that I hopefully will be able to pry out without breaking them.

That’s a cool drawing - the rotation is achieved using what looks like the spindle from an axle mounted vertically on the lower section. It appears to have a single cone bearing at the top and just a nylon bushing on the bottom to connect the 2 sections. Seems like a lot of weight to be transferred through such a simple connection.

Bob
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    Thanks Mark. It looks like those are nylon rivets that I hopefully will be able to pry out without breaking them.

That’s a cool drawing - the rotation is achieved using what looks like the spindle from an axle mounted vertically on the lower section. It appears to have a single cone bearing at the top and just a nylon bushing on the bottom to connect the 2 sections. Seems like a lot of weight to be transferred through such a simple connection.

Bob
    Bob,

After our next trip I'll be taking the pin box apart to repack the bearing since the manual rotation seems to have more resistance than when I first got the RV and Lippert recommends repacking once a year.
    I have it all planned out how I'm going to disconnect the Pin box from the RV and repacking the bearing. The drawing say it weights 150bs so it's at least a two person job and some planning to how disconnect and reconnect to the RV

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How to remove cover on Turning Point pin box?

I’ve heard that bearing wears out quickly which is the main reason I decided to just use a slider hitch and not use the turning point feature. After going full time 15 months ago and towing about 8,000 miles I’ve never once needed either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I’ve heard that bearing wears out quickly which is the main reason I decided to just use a slider hitch and not use the turning point feature. After going full time 15 months ago and towing about 8,000 miles I’ve never once needed either.

We love the hitch so far, I have not heard or seen complaints form anyone, We'll see how the maintenance goes

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the hitch locked out while I had my rig in the shop for some work. I think I’ll leave it that way for awhile to see if I even need it to rotate. I’ve got the 6.5’ box and I was able to make a pretty tight turn with it locked. One less point of failure and no need for maintenance.

Bob
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not ready to give up that great turning radius, I don't want to have to worry about hitting the cab
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    I'm not ready to give up that great turning radius, I don't want to have to worry about hitting the cab
    Mark
    I have a Superduty 4x4 so my turning radius sucks whether I’m towing or not.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Turning Point is easier to turn in one direction vs the other, I wonder if I have an issue? It’s been like that since we picked it up brand new in April, I need to call GD anyway so I’ll see what they have to say. Regardless I’m not willing to give up the turning point feature, it was one of the reasons I chose the 150 series.
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast