User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to replace shower skylight?

Lost the shower skylight in our Solitude from hail last night. It is a (fairly) standard 14x22" (rough opening) size so I have some choices. My questions;

1) Looking at ICON Technologies p/n 12080 or SL1422S. Only need the outer dome.
    - Is this a reasonable (quality) brand?
    - Is it heavier duty than the OEM (which is very light weight/fragile)?
    - Recommendations for other replacement units I should look at. Time is a factor.

2) Any tricks/tips on removal & replacement?
    - Thank you so much to the forum here, I learned that paint thinner works well to soften/dissolve the lap sealant.
    - Should I use butyl tape under the dome flanges or lap sealant or ???
    - Use lots of lap sealant over the flange/roof joint

Thank you for help and pointers

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Lost the shower skylight in our Solitude from hail last night. It is a (fairly) standard 14x22" (rough opening) size so I have some choices. My questions;

1) Looking at ICON Technologies p/n 12080 or SL1422S. Only need the outer dome.
    - Is this a reasonable (quality) brand?
    - Is it heavier duty than the OEM (which is very light weight/fragile)?
    - Recommendations for other replacement units I should look at. Time is a factor.

2) Any tricks/tips on removal & replacement?
    - Thank you so much to the forum here, I learned that paint thinner works well to soften/dissolve the lap sealant.
    - Should I use butyl tape under the dome flanges or lap sealant or ???
    - Use lots of lap sealant over the flange/roof joint

Thank you for help and pointers

Chris
    Sorry to hear about the damage. I can't help you with brand or type of dome. You need to use Butyl tape under the flange and then cover with the lap sealant. Just snug up the screws. If you make them too tight they will crack the new dome flange and then it will leak.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced mine when rebuilding
    I ordered from the factory, the Tinted replacement (highly recommended tinted). It was pretty tough plastic and the old one was also tough. Butyl tape, screw down and lap seal, shouldn't take you long.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This forum ROCKS! Thank you again for all the good tips.

Final hail damage (that I could find) was 1) Kitchen vent lid (parts that opens and closes) had two holes and multiple cracks, 2) rear marker light lens shattered, 3) Attic vent (mushroom) top piece about 1/3 missing (broken off), 4) Shower skylight outer dome looks like Swiss Cheese, and 5) one small (1" diameter) soft spot in the roof (TPO held up - no holes or tears, just a nice whiter spot). Took a while of researching (finding part numbers, finding who has/sells parts etc.), but got everything ordered (took four different suppliers) tonight. Parts should be here in a week or so. The shower skylight will take a little work to replace. Hardest/most time consuming part will be removing the old sealant. The rest of the items are pretty much bolt/screw/snap on items.

Andrew, you said yours where "pretty tough plastic". Are you talking about the fan lids (I agree, they are pretty tough), or the shower skylight? My shower skylight outer dome (<2 years since manufacture) is very thin and surprisingly brittle. Very poor choose of material for an exterior part.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final hail damage (that I could find) was 1) Kitchen vent lid (parts that opens and closes) had two holes and multiple cracks, 2) rear marker light lens shattered, 3) Attic vent (mushroom) top piece about 1/3 missing (broken off), 4) Shower skylight outer dome looks like Swiss Cheese, and 5) one small (1" diameter) soft spot in the roof (TPO held up - no holes or tears, just a nice whiter spot). Took a while of researching (finding part numbers, finding who has/sells parts etc.), but got everything ordered (took four different suppliers) tonight. Parts should be here in a week or so. The shower skylight will take a little work to replace. Hardest/most time consuming part will be removing the old sealant. The rest of the items are pretty much bolt/screw/snap on items.

Andrew, you said yours where "pretty tough plastic". Are you talking about the fan lids (I agree, they are pretty tough), or the shower skylight? My shower skylight outer dome (<2 years since manufacture) is very thin and surprisingly brittle. Very poor choose of material for an exterior part.

Chris
    When I replaced my shower sky light I used a heat gun to soften the Dicor and removed it with a putty knife with the corners rounded off. Worked pretty well. I didn't use butyl tape but a tape that was more like grey putty and also lap sealant. I would hate to try and remove butyl sealing tape from the roof membrane if the sky light has to be changed again.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris
    Yes the outer skylight. Almost seemed like an "uncured" plastic where it wouldn't rip but stretch. I thought the new one felt the same, I could twist it and such. Maybe the sun does them in quickly.
    Did you get tinted?

Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    When I replaced my shower sky light I used a heat gun to soften the Dicor and removed it with a putty knife with the corners rounded off. Worked pretty well. I didn't use butyl tape but a tape that was more like grey putty and also lap sealant. I would hate to try and remove butyl sealing tape from the roof membrane if the sky light has to be changed again.
    Jim, thank you for the tips. I was thinking of trying a heat gun (along with 100+ degree surface temp from the sun) to try and soften the lap sealant. I just have to be very careful not to damage the TPO roofing material with either heat or putty knife.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agpopp View Post
    Yes the outer skylight. Almost seemed like an "uncured" plastic where it wouldn't rip but stretch. I thought the new one felt the same, I could twist it and such. Maybe the sun does them in quickly.
    Did you get tinted?

Interesting. Mine has noticeably "yellowed" and is very brittle. Even warm (hot) from the sun, the pieces broke (snapped) very easily. Long before any significant flexing. The trailer was built 2/2018, so age should not be a significant factor, but who knows when my specific dome had been manufactured. Trailer has been stored outside for the past 1+ years. Maybe the Colorado sun (fairly intense) just did a number of the OEM skylight.

Yes, I went with a tinted (Smoke) skylight. The good thing out of all this is I got to switch the shower skylight and the kitchen vent lid to smoke rather than clear. Something I have wanted to do, but could not justify the price. The bath vent lid already was smoke tint.

Now the hard part .... waiting.

Leaving on next trip in 3 weeks. Very glad this did not happen the day before we are to leave.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO