User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuck Grey Valve

Just got to our Solitude which has been set up on our new permanent site in Myrtle Beach. After connecting my sewer hose, I could not budge one of the grey valves . I have two grey valves and I suspect the one that will not open is to the tank that catches most of the grey (my rig is plumbed for a washer and a dishwasher which we have neither. I always open both grey valves. The one that will not open appears stuck good......I cannot budge it. I sprayed the area I can reach near the handle with penetrating oil to no avail.

I won't be able to call my dealer until Monday and, even if I waited to do that, suspect they would be days before they could get to us. I plan to go inside the basement tomorrow and see what I can do. If it is the valve itself, is there any access other than from the bottom of the coach?
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's rough. We had the shower gray valve replaced under warranty. They replaced the handle/cable and valve when it became hard to move. I was in the basement working on the inverter last year, and saw where they ran the cable for the valve. It goes under the accessible part of the basement to the tank. I can tell they removed at least part of the coroplast to repair it since they sprayed that expanding foam around the cut-out of the sewer pipe. If it's not something obvious, like a kink in the cable where you can see it in the basement, a mobile tech may be an option. When we go to Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach, we see many different mobile tech companies in the campground working. Good luck!
    RobM
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was stuck due to some corrosion in the sleeve right at the handle. I was able to break it free by using some channel locks to rotate it slightly. In-out pulling was impossible (no movement whatsoever), but a bit of twist freed it right up. It’s worth considering if you haven’t already.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Mine was stuck due to some corrosion in the sleeve right at the handle. I was able to break it free by using some channel locks to rotate it slightly. In-out pulling was impossible (no movement whatsoever), but a bit of twist freed it right up. It’s worth considering if you haven’t already.
    ^^^^^^ This is what I needed to do as well. Now I spray it with Fluid Film at each use to keep it lubricated and corrosion free.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, same issue.....shaft stuck in the sleeve. I ended up heating the shaft with a butane torch and I was then able to twist the shaft in the sleeve using channel locks. When I was finally able to pull it out, it was like pulling a rusty nail from a board. Lubed it up with CRC super duper luby spray and worked it in/out. I will pay more attention to keeping all three lubed.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same issue, both of my rear tank valve handles are corroded stuck in the open position. I suspect they were opened at the factory PDI, not closed, and then delivered to the dealership that way and remained open and exposed to the elements. Missed this at our PDI

So currently we can't really use our 1/2 bath until this is remedied. I hit it with penetrating oil and that did nothing. I will see if I can rotate it loose. Any tip/tricks to dissolve off and clean up the corrosion? Would a propane plumbers torch get it hot enough to manipulate?
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    I have the same issue, both of my rear tank valve handles are corroded stuck in the open position. I suspect they were opened at the factory PDI, not closed, and then delivered to the dealership that way and remained open and exposed to the elements. Missed this at our PDI

So currently we can't really use our 1/2 bath until this is remedied. I hit it with penetrating oil and that did nothing. I will see if I can rotate it loose. Any tip/tricks to dissolve off and clean up the corrosion? Would a propane plumbers torch get it hot enough to manipulate?
    I could not get to mine to work with it (mine are inside the Nautilus panel) so I removed the T handle, nut and went inside the basement and pulled the cable assembly out to where I could work on it (I was sitting in the basement storage area). I tried the penetrating oil followed by heating with one of those small butane torches. Using two channel lock pliers, one to hold the sleeve (I clamped on the nut) and one to try and rotate the shaft, I was able to get the shaft to rotate just a tiny bit. That was enough to free it up so that I could pull the shaft out. More lube and in/out movement, and I got it working.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    I could not get to mine to work with it (mine are inside the Nautilus panel) so I removed the T handle, nut and went inside the basement and pulled the cable assembly out to where I could work on it (I was sitting in the basement storage area). I tried the penetrating oil followed by heating with one of those small butane torches. Using two channel lock pliers, one to hold the sleeve (I clamped on the nut) and one to try and rotate the shaft, I was able to get the shaft to rotate just a tiny bit. That was enough to free it up so that I could pull the shaft out. More lube and in/out movement, and I got it working.
    That was exactly what I had to do, heat AND oil. I recently got a heat gun so put that sucker to work! Heated up the shaft/housing to about 400f then sprayed it with penetrating oil. As it cooled, it should have sucked in the oil even deeper - BONUS! Once I did that combo, I was able to grab the shaft with channel locks and slowly it started to rotate! I knew at that point I had won the battle lol and just kept working it and spraying more oil in there. Once it was able to rotate very freely, I then started working it in and out. Once I had full in and out motion, I started a) applying copious amounts of WD-40 and b) wiping off all the corroded gunk that rode out on the shaft every time I pulled the handle out. Eventually it was going in and coming back out cleanly with minimal resistance. I was very relieved to have gotten this worked out as I was close to giving up and calling the dealership but really did not want to have to.

We are going camping this weekend and I am very excited to have the use of the 2nd bathroom now
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread, but I just had the same problem.

Looking these kind of issues & solutions up using a search is why this forum is WAY better than any social media. This is a fairly permanent repository of knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Heated up the shaft/housing to about 400f then sprayed it with penetrating oil. As it cooled, it should have sucked in the oil even deeper - BONUS! Once I did that combo, I was able to grab the shaft with channel locks and slowly it started to rotate!
    The rear black tank handle was frozen very solid, just like others'. After reading this, I took it off of its bracket, sprayed a bunch of Liquid Wrench on it and let it sit vertically overnight. This morning I replaced it in the bracket and, again, like here, took vice grips and worked it rotating in in the housing. It *finally* broke free and a couple of rotations later, I was able to pull it out. Fortunately, I've rebuilt the black drain on the back so I have an extra valterra blade valve past the OEM valve.

Anyway, I took some scotch brite to the shaft to get the corrosion off, then sprayed it and worked it with some silicone spray. I have a cable lubing device for my motorcycle cables that I wanted to try on it (to lube the entire cable), but the luber wouldn't fit.

But it all seems to be working now. I'm just going to have to remember to douse this down with WD40 as part of my winterizing process.
    signature

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I just had the same problem.

Looking these kind of issues & solutions up using a search is why this forum is WAY better than any social media. This is a fairly permanent repository of knowledge!

But it all seems to be working now. I'm just going to have to remember to douse this down with WD40 as part of my winterizing process.
    Couldn't agree more. Both my gray tanks pulls were stiff after this winter. I had sprayed WD40 last year a couple of times, but now it will be a winterizing checklist item. I was able to pull them out. The shafts had some black residue on them which didn't seem to be corrosion. I would not have thought about rotating the handles if I hadn't seen this thread. I did spray with WD40 but I think cleaning the shafts is in order to remove whatever is on there.

Thanks,
    John
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays