User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back in town and I noticed the front right tire is starting to wear on the inside edge. I had it at the dealer a month or so ago to get the steering linkage recall done. Likely out of alignment now I have 13,800 miles on the tires (factory Nexen tires).

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    Just got back in town and I noticed the front right tire is starting to wear on the inside edge. I had it at the dealer a month or so ago to get the steering linkage recall done. Likely out of alignment now I have 13,800 miles on the tires (factory Nexen tires).

Regards,
    Kevin
    Tacking the adjuster nut on the drag ling will not do anything to the alignment to cause wear on the outside edge of a tire. Wear on the edge of a tire is from the camber being off. That is done with the ball joints. Drag ling would control caster which would put the toe off. If the toe is off it will cause a feathering type effect on the tire which you could feel by running your hand across the tire. It would feel like it was sharp. Likely suspect would be a bad ball joint. When dealer worked on the front end they should have checked all of the components and caught that. Front end parts are a critical safety item and any time you do any work on front end parts everything should be checked. The mechanic is supposed to be the expert not the customer.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 07-08-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Ram adjust something mid year? I'm not seeing this or any recall under my VIN.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Did Ram adjust something mid year? I'm not seeing this or any recall under my VIN.
    Didn't sound like anything was changed on the 2018 drag links. 2019s have the new drag link.
    I'm not affected since I've got 4x2.
    https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/1209/saf...-ram-2500-3500
    Vehicle 1 : 2013-2018 Ram 3500
    Similar vehicles equipped with 4x2 style steering systems are not affected by this recall.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My truck was in last week. I refused the recall. They cannot do unauthorized work on my truck. I refuse to have what is supposed to be an adjustable link for alignment welded together. When I need my next alignment I’m suppose to pay extra to grind it off? I think not. It’s a bubble gum and duct tape fix. I’ll just check the link every oil change. It would be obvious if it came loose as my steering wheel would come off center!
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The link they are welding is not used to set the toe angle. It is used to recenter the steering wheel after toe adjustment with the tie rod. I was told it will be a two part recall. After a new drag link adjuster is designed we will be sent a letter to bring it back in for replacement. I wasn’t exactly thrilled with welding front end parts either.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    I was told it will be a two part recall. After a new drag link adjuster is designed we will be sent a letter to bring it back in for replacement.
    Charlie
    Could you please provide more information on this? Maybe a link to support this. If this is true, then all of this inferior fix (wielding) would make sense as a temporary solution.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Didn't sound like anything was changed on the 2018 drag links. 2019s have the new drag link.
    I'm not affected since I've got 4x2.
    https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/1209/saf...-ram-2500-3500
    Vehicle 1 : 2013-2018 Ram 3500
    Similar vehicles equipped with 4x2 style steering systems are not affected by this recall.
    That would explain it, thank you
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to prolong this discussion, it is what it is, but I wonder, does the NHTSA sign off on the repair method? Probably not, they are just looking for FCA to do something about it?
    On the NHTSA web site they list an incident where the drag link came apart at highway speed, owner lost control and ended up in a ditch.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Could you please provide more information on this? Maybe a link to support this. If this is true, then all of this inferior fix (wielding) would make sense as a temporary solution.
    According to several members on the Cummins forum who actually called Ram Cares customer hotline, the welding is the permanent fix. Ram has no intention of replacing any drag links(unless they fail during the recall inspection-can’t be tightened). Some have removed the OE drag link and replaced with an aftermarket unit from Synergy rather than let some kid practice his welding skills on a $70 grand vehicle.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast