User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X-99? �� Skip the 3/4 diesel and go to a 1 ton, brand of your choosing.

I went Ford because of X-plan pricing and familiarity and excellent experience with Ford products.

I’m on my 2nd F350 Diesel, 2017. & 2019, and I couldn’t be happier. The only issue I’ve had which seems to be not uncommon with Ford Superduty Trucks is battery acid leak on top of batteries. This caused minor corrosion on the battery hold down bracket. Both Battery and bracket replacement was covered under the 3yr 36k mile warranty.

My next Truck will likely be a F450.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    As Rob shared, your post is not about the 2500/3500 debate. To address your question, we have had our 2012 LTZ since April, 2014 using it more than 5 years. We travel about 8-9K miles/years with the truck. Essentially the miles have been split evenly among pulling our 303; highway travel pulling nothing; and city driving. We have had no out of pocket costs relating to any mechanical problems. We had four glow plugs fail over five + years covered under the initial warranty and an extended warranty provided at no cost by GM. We did have a DEF tank heater fail as well again covered under the emissions extended warranty.

We have all scheduled maintenance done by a local GM dealer. We have been very pleased with our diesel truck in all driving scenarios as with most folks. Your experience s/b similar all things being equal and following maintenance schedules; following your owners manual requirements; etc.

Dan
    Just for everyone's knowledge there is a federal law that emission control parts are warrantied. Here is a list that is covered under warranty by federal law.
    https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...verlooked.html
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteram2016 View Post
    It will be my daily driver: short trips, grocery trips, cold engine trips (as cold as California will allow it to be) occasional long commuting trips and monthly camping trip with 28BH 5th wheel.
    Limit the short trips as much as possible, or combine them. The newer diesels with the emission systems need to be run up to temperature fairly frequently.

As others stated, go 1 ton instead of a 3/4 ton. The diesel engines and assorted coolers play havoc with cargo carrying capacity.

We have a 2017 F350 6.7L CCSB 4x4, and so far it has been awesome.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
    Limit the short trips as much as possible, or combine them. The newer diesels with the emission systems need to be run up to temperature fairly frequently.

I'll second that, I bought a TDI and it seems like it always wants to regen at the worst times. They say it's OK to just shut it down and let it start again next drive cycle but I cannot bring myself to shutting down an engine when the EGTs, dpf and cat are 1,200 degrees. If you keep it from completing a regen too long it will go into limp mode and you will then need to have a service regen initiated. Wait even longer and you will need a new DPF $$$. I love my older Powerstroke though, runs like a top and no real emissions, not even an EGR valve.
    Last edited by bigb56; 07-08-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
    I'll second that, I bought a TDI and it seems like it always wants to regen at the worst times. They say it's OK to just shut it down and let it start again next drive cycle but I cannot bring myself to shutting down an engine when the EGTs, dpf and cat are 1,200 degrees. If you keep it from completing a regen too long it will go into limp mode and you will then need to have a service regen initiated. Wait even longer and you will need a new DPF $$$. I love my older Powerstroke though, runs like a top and no real emissions, not even an EGR valve.
    Concerning the regen mode, my 2017 Powerstroke does not indicate when it’s doing a regen. My research states this is normal. I have 15,000 miles on it and have never seen it. I know I can do something with a computer to change that, but I probably won’t. I don’t do too many short trips.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've yet to see a regen cycle in a year. It's doing it but my temps are high enough and driving habits aren't forcing one as it's able to clear stuff out while driving.

I do a decent amount if short trips to Sam's and Costco but also some other mixed. I'm sure towing helps but we haven't moved since March because we've been on a cruise kick.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only clue you have on a TDI is the idle will increase to 1K but I run engine monitoring software and I can predict and watch the regen along with EGT temps at the turbo, pre dpf, post dpf and egr. In the pic I am not monitoring egr temp. The top gauge DPF is measuring calculated soot load which is what triggers a regen. When it reaches 100% a regen will start and be indicated by " 1.0" on the smaller "regen" gauge. No real need to do anything like this unless you are a real gear head like me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TP EGTs.jpg  
    Last edited by bigb56; 07-09-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 106k on our 2015 F250 diesel, most of the time a great truck, but have had emission issues.
    Received the dreaded fault message, dealer took almost the whole day to solve the problem, ran it twice for 2 hours @2500RPM before the fault cleared.
    Couple of weeks ago had one of the turbo hoses replaced, ~ $150.
    I was told that once the cleaning process starts, do not stop until it finishes. Problem is I haven't figured out how to determine that.
    Another recommendation was to run it for 1 hour @ 2500 RPM every month to help keep things cleaned out.
    We get 15-18mpg & 10-12 towing.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
    The only clue you have on a TDI is the idle will increase to 1K but I run engine monitoring software and I can predict and watch the regen along with EGT temps at the turbo, pre dpf, post dpf and egr. In the pic I am not monitoring egr temp. The top gauge DPF is measuring calculated soot load which is what triggers a regen. When it reaches 100% a regen will start and be indicated by " 1.0" on the smaller "regen" gauge. No real need to do anything like this unless you are a real gear head like me.
    While current ford diesels don’t indicate regeneration there’s a screen that can be enabled in a program called forscan that will show % DPF on the Ford display. As it reaches 100% it will start a regen. It will slowly decease % full as regen continues.

I see a regen about every 500 miles. I drive normally and ignore the cycle and don’t worry at all about it
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry - Do you know how I could activate that screen?
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast