User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    Jerry - Do you know how I could activate that screen?
    You will need a program called forscan https://forscan.org/ and a OBDII device. You will need a laptop windows version to modify the truck. The iphone and android version doesn't allow you to make any changes to the truck.

Lots of reading about forscan here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...readsheet.html

Everything you can do with forscan in the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...0WxhDns1s/edit Line 61 for Add DPF Filter % to screen
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, appreciate the help.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some screenshots I just took of the % DPF screen enabled with FORScan in my 2019 F350.

Notice I also enabled digital display of temp above the analog coolant temp display (with forscan). Notice the 1st pix was at 81 degrees and after running for less than 1 minute it went to 90 degrees in 2nd pix. I only started engine to take pictures.

Last edited by Jerryr; 07-09-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want all honesty, I've had many trucks, many diesels, many vehicles. The diesel trucks have been the least of the reliable, and the most maintenance intensive, and the highest cost to repair.

Now, that said. They have the most grunt and towing capabilities. So if you need the towing capacity, your choice is made right there. But as far as reliability and cost to operate, dont fool yourself on that front.

They do last a long time yes, but they do not get there without lots of help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    While current ford diesels don’t indicate regeneration there’s a screen that can be enabled in a program called forscan that will show % DPF on the Ford display. As it reaches 100% it will start a regen. It will slowly decease % full as regen continues.

I see a regen about every 500 miles. I drive normally and ignore the cycle and don’t worry at all about it
    I wish VW had an option for that....I have to use an added gauge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    While current ford diesels don’t indicate regeneration there’s a screen that can be enabled in a program called forscan that will show % DPF on the Ford display. As it reaches 100% it will start a regen. It will slowly decease % full as regen continues.

I see a regen about every 500 miles. I drive normally and ignore the cycle and don’t worry at all about it
    I had my dealer enable my screen.

I like keeping track on the regens. 1 time a regen started about 2 miles from home..... if I would have shut the truck off without knowing that, it would have been an incomplete regen. Not a big problem, as it would have started again when the DPF got to back 100%. But I worry that too many incomplete regens might affect the DPF in the long run. Instead of shutting off the truck when the regen had just started, I drove some extra miles to get the DPF down to 0 before heading home.

I also average a regen about every 500 miles, except about 400 miles when towing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
    I had my dealer enable my screen.

I like keeping track on the regens. 1 time a regen started about 2 miles from home..... if I would have shut the truck off without knowing that, it would have been an incomplete regen. Not a big problem, as it would have started again when the DPF got to back 100%. But I worry that too many incomplete regens might affect the DPF in the long run. Instead of shutting off the truck when the regen had just started, I drove some extra miles to get the DPF down to 0 before heading home.

I also average a regen about every 500 miles, except about 400 miles when towing.
    The vehicle manufacturers don't want you to know about the regens and they say you won't harm the vehicle by shutting it down during a regen, plus the EPA requires them to warranty the emissions stuff (165K or 11 years in the case of VW). But in reality they know it's better not to shut down however to make people aware of this and suggest they manage the regens would be a disaster and mean lost sales. It's only the gearheads like me that take the time to manage our regens because deep down inside we know it's better for the longevity of the turbo/exhaust/after-treatment systems regardless of what the manufacturers want us to believe. Someday I hope we see emissions technology that will eliminate the need for after-treatments and traps.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an Edge Insight unit to track everything regarding the DPF and regens. It works very well as it effectively shows the predicted DPF load and the apparent DPF load. The Ford trucks will regen every 500 miles or so if not triggered beforehand by the DPF load.

I’m only at 38K so far but no issues yet. I will probably sell at 100K.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
    The only clue you have on a TDI is the idle will increase to 1K but I run engine monitoring software and I can predict and watch the regen along with EGT temps at the turbo, pre dpf, post dpf and egr. In the pic I am not monitoring egr temp. The top gauge DPF is measuring calculated soot load which is what triggers a regen. When it reaches 100% a regen will start and be indicated by " 1.0" on the smaller "regen" gauge. No real need to do anything like this unless you are a real gear head like me.
    What software are you running on the TDI? I’m interested.

Thanks,

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    What software are you running on the TDI? I’m interested.

Thanks,

Big Mike
    Hey Mike in the photo above (in post #17 ) I am running Torque Pro on Android with some custom PIDs I got off the TDI forum. I also have the app VAG-DPF for Android which is especially set up for regen and dpf info and shows ash load which is helpful to know the health of your dpf, and it shows post injections so you know when it is stopping those for whatever reason be it driving conditions or maybe it's just finished. The thing I don't like about VAG-DPF is it is in Celcius with no way to change it but it is real helpful for regen predictions and checking dpf health. Finally I have OBDeleven Pro which is made for VW, Audi, Bentley and whatever else the Volkswagen Automotive Group owns. With it I can perform diagnostics, monitoring and coding. It uses a propitiatory OBD Bluetooth dongle and an Android app (I think it supports ios too). I keep Torqe Pro on my everyday phone for quick and easy monitoring and for longer trips I have all three set up on my old Note 3 phone which has a large screen, it has become my dedicated device for the TDI (Truck is bigger so I use a real notebook). For OBD dongles I use the OBD-MX which is pricey but has very fast update speeds, auto on/off so I can leave it plugged in always and very good USA support although I have never needed it. Of course for OBDeleven it doesn't work, have to use theirs. Also OBDeleven requires a network connection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VAG-DPF.png   obd11.jpg  
    Last edited by bigb56; 07-10-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast