Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how reliable is your diesel truck?

Hi,
    We are looking to upgrade to 2500, probably diesel. We do not have brand preference. The biggest decision factor is going to be how reliable the truck would be. It will be my daily driver: short trips, grocery trips, cold engine trips (as cold as California will allow it to be) occasional long commuting trips and monthly camping trip with 28BH 5th wheel. I got some ideas about emission problems and diesel, as i drive 1500 ram diesel currently. So how reliable is your diesel? Will it service family duties and occasional monthly camping trips? What brand would be most reliable? I do not want frequent trip to the dealer for warranty work, we have small kids and prefer to spend time doing other things. Thank you for advice.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all the major brands will have their pros and cons. It really depends on your budget and what year truck you're looking for. Do you want new or used? In general whatever brand, stay away from years that are first for a major change (new engine design, trans,etc.) Test drive the different brands and see what you like and then go from there. Also consider a single rear one ton truck, more payload, same ride as a 3/4 ton.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the idea of getting a full 1-ton SRW. It will be better suited to literally every task and drive a little better (due to more sidewall absorbing shocks and helper springs not engaging until loaded down) and cost about the same. Price should be pretty much comparable.

The only caveat to my recommendation is if you have external issues going over 10k GVWR such as insurance, licensing, HOA, etc that sometimes come into play. The trucks will be the same size if you get a SRW. Really, the 3/4 ton Diesels just do not make sense due to the much heavier drive train but the same 10k GVWR cap as a gas one.

I had a 2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel before I got my DRW. It had 2144# payload (per the door jam sticker) - very anemic. Pulling a modest 28' bumper pull travel trailer with a healthy compliment of tools I was only 300 under my GVWR on the truck. I now have 4500# of payload and do not worry about it
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how reliable is your diesel truck?

I agree with the previous post. I have a Ram 2500 Diesel 2014 model with a short bed. I wish I had gotten the 3500 version in the same configuration except maybe a 3.83 rear end instead the 3.42 is my only option. I’ve had no problems except a water pump that went out which was a later recall. We get 20+ mpg on the highway empty, 10+ towing our 303. Why the 3500? More payload if I want to move up to a slightly larger trailer. The SRW and short bed fits in my garage and it’s my daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add, my 2500HD had a 2144# payload, a "same spec'd" 3500HD would literally have had 1400# more payload (3500# total). It really is a huge difference for nearly the same money.

Here are the 2 door stickers

First up is my 2500HD (Denali Diesel no other options) - 2144# payload
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck Payload Sticker.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	21195

Second is a 3500HD Denali Diesel with factory puck system, sun roof, maybe dual alternators (don't recall) that I looked at when truck shopping - 3501# payload
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3500 SRW Payload.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	21196

The difference was pretty staggering frankly. Given that any truck pulling an RV runs out of payload WAY before running out of "tow rating" - this difference should tell you everything about why for a diesel SRW the 1 ton is always the right choice over the 3/4 ton.

And to address the OP's original question The diesels should be as reliable or more than a gas option for daily usage. Just take care of it and it will take care of you (and last a VERY long time).
    Last edited by cookinwitdiesel; 07-07-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for advice. Sounds as reliability of the diesel should not be an issue, no matter what brand it would be. I will think long and hard about payload.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X(I've lost count) on the 1-ton SRW vs. 3/4-ton if you're going diesel. That said, I owned a GMC with the Duramax/Allison prior to our present Ford. Both have been very reliable trucks and strong tow vehicles.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X? I am with the other reply's, I have only ever had Dodge trucks, and they have been very reliable. My Son-in-Law loves Fords and they have been reliable for him. We both tow long and heavy plus 5th wheels. He tows a Montana High country which he totally renovated and restored.
    In the RV world seems we are never satisfied with the RV we have and end up with a bigger and heavier model each time we trade. The truck that is right for today is not for tomorrow. These suckers are wide and long just like or RV's and get real expensive. You better think about tomorrow when buying one of these things.

Everybody has their own list of priorities when looking at new TVs. When we bought our new truck, fitting it into our existing garage wasn't even on the priority list. To me I was buying the truck to haul our current or much heavier and longer RV and I didn't care if the truck fit in the garage for now. Heck when we go full time it will sit out in parking lots and camp grounds most of the time anyway. If i was that worried about it now I would buy a car port and keep it under cover.

With that being said, I don't like messing about with a slider hitch so a long bed was a must. Dual wheels for stability and payload, exhaust brake, good axle ratio, diesel engine for torque & power, transmission for extreme duty. Huge brakes, driveshaft, U-joints, frame and suspension to take the load. Then roomy and comfortable for those long trips. The only thing i missed out on was a larger fuel tank, but I can fix that if I want to.

For you people out there in CA and other states, you have to pay much higher fuel prices than we do here in TX and to some that maybe a deciding factor on the truck they buy. Gas Vs Diesel that age old debate. If I thought I was going to end up towing a lot out of my high price fuel state, I would still get the diesel. Its about the job you're asking the truck to do with the most power and durability over the long haul, not what is most convenient for the commuting job at the moment. Oh, and diesel engines are not a fan of short trips and they hate dirt! Keep them clean running- use high quality parts.

Its a hard decision with the investment you have to make, weighing all the variables and priorities. Good Luck to you. May the force be with you....LOL
    Last edited by Steven@147; 07-08-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we looked, we shopped all 3 brands and narrowed it down to Ram or Ford. We went Ram, mostly because I didn't want to deal with the composite oil pan that had leaking issues on the Ford. Not to say I will skirt issues on the RAM, time will tell on that but when trucks are neck and neck you have to pick things that are important to you. I didn't care about leather, and many of the puff and fluff options on the Ford, I wanted payload an AISIN and Diesel.

Ram has had issues in the past with the DEF systems, those seem to have been absent in the recent models. The systems were tested and the model had been in service for a number of years and all these things contributed to me buying one. I wouldn't want to be on the first year or two of major changes with a truck like these, you run the risk of issues.

As with anything else, what you end up with largely comes down to luck. Every single manufacturer has put out a lemon in every single year they have built them. Some have fewer issues one year, more another year, sometimes there are major issues that creep in the lines but those are rare. Regardless, luck plays a big role as even in years with issues there are still plenty of folks that did not have any problems.

Drive them, look at the numbers and see what you like. My only advice is to stick with the 1 ton. The price difference isn't even worth talking about and your payload is likely to be a good bit higher.

As for the truck, if you take care of it and lube and change wear items on schedule it will likely outlast you. These are work machines, they will require TLC and if you can do your own fluid and filter changes you can save a lot of money over the dealer but ultimately they will need work but should outlast any other vehicle you have owned with proper maintenance.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteram2016 View Post
    Hi,
    We are looking to upgrade to 2500, probably diesel. We do not have brand preference. The biggest decision factor is going to be how reliable the truck would be. It will be my daily driver: short trips, grocery trips, cold engine trips (as cold as California will allow it to be) occasional long commuting trips and monthly camping trip with 28BH 5th wheel. I got some ideas about emission problems and diesel, as i drive 1500 ram diesel currently. So how reliable is your diesel? Will it service family duties and occasional monthly camping trips? What brand would be most reliable? I do not want frequent trip to the dealer for warranty work, we have small kids and prefer to spend time doing other things. Thank you for advice.
    As Rob shared, your post is not about the 2500/3500 debate. To address your question, we have had our 2012 LTZ since April, 2014 using it more than 5 years. We travel about 8-9K miles/years with the truck. Essentially the miles have been split evenly among pulling our 303; highway travel pulling nothing; and city driving. We have had no out of pocket costs relating to any mechanical problems. We had four glow plugs fail over five + years covered under the initial warranty and an extended warranty provided at no cost by GM. We did have a DEF tank heater fail as well again covered under the emissions extended warranty.

We have all scheduled maintenance done by a local GM dealer. We have been very pleased with our diesel truck in all driving scenarios as with most folks. Your experience s/b similar all things being equal and following maintenance schedules; following your owners manual requirements; etc.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast