User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Disconnect Switch in Pass-through

Reference: 2019 Reflection 303RLS
    Is there anywhere in Grand Design support material that actually identifies what the Battery Disconnect Switch in the pass-through actually controls? With the switch off, the sensing lights are still on, which means they are most likely pulling amps from battery. Proof was after first use and storage for two weeks, the battery was dead even though the switch was off and hanging by the tether. I looked through the manual and it says to turn that off and disconnect the battery cable when in storage. Sounds easy enough, but after traveling for 8 to 9 hours and tucking the 5er in its stall at storage facility, I really didn't want to mess with tools to remove the cable.
    Remedy, for me, I installed a true Battery Disconnect switch on the positive side of battery. Now, it is a simple task of opening the front panel and turning the switch and the power is fully cut off to the 5er's buss bar.
    I tried to add a picture, but that didn't work out. Strange procedure! Maybe as I get use to this site.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many owners have installed a true battery disconnect and some have rewired the factory disconnect to turn everything off. An additional disconnect can be installed on either positive or negative battery cable, which ever is easier.

No one has been able to get an answer what is still live with the factory disconnect turned off. I know on my Reflection 5th wheel the battery will go dead in 2 weeks with switch turned off, just like yours.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard stories of rigs (same model & year) having different wiring. So I did some basic testing and it sounds like you did a bit too.

Throw the switch and see what still works! For me it's the front legs, the front compartment light, the hitch light and nothing else. I guess I lucked out
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    I've heard stories of rigs (same model & year) having different wiring. So I did some basic testing and it sounds like you did a bit too.

Throw the switch and see what still works! For me it's the front legs, the front compartment light, the hitch light and nothing else. I guess I lucked out
    Not sure if these are connected to 12 volt battery but you may want to check propane alarm, smoke alarm, radio memory etc. Or better yet disconnect
    the battery via the factory switch and come back a week later and measure the battery voltage. You may be surprised to find that there was a draw.

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being an electro-nerd, I mapped all the 120v and 12v circuits including their normal draw.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And the emergency brake is still able to be powered if the switch is off.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    Being an electro-nerd, I mapped all the 120v and 12v circuits including their normal draw.

SOOOOOO Show us the results!!!!!!

Can't wait.

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a disconnect switch in the battery main cable. Problem solved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes...do you have the results recorded and can distribute? Would love to see it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteHauler View Post
    Reference: 2019 Reflection 303RLS
    Is there anywhere in Grand Design support material that actually identifies what the Battery Disconnect Switch in the pass-through actually controls? With the switch off, the sensing lights are still on, which means they are most likely pulling amps from battery. Proof was after first use and storage for two weeks, the battery was dead even though the switch was off and hanging by the tether. I looked through the manual and it says to turn that off and disconnect the battery cable when in storage. Sounds easy enough, but after traveling for 8 to 9 hours and tucking the 5er in its stall at storage facility, I really didn't want to mess with tools to remove the cable.
    Remedy, for me, I installed a true Battery Disconnect switch on the positive side of battery. Now, it is a simple task of opening the front panel and turning the switch and the power is fully cut off to the 5er's buss bar.
    I tried to add a picture, but that didn't work out. Strange procedure! Maybe as I get use to this site.
    Thanks to everyone who replied. Great info and experience shared here. Jerryr...sounds like you and I have had the same experience.
    Anyway, I am good for now. Maybe RickLight will help out with info. Again, thanks to all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast