User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2018 Sierra 1500 (5.3, 3.42 rear, 6 spd, GVWR 7200, payload 1630, GCVWR 15000) and were debating between the 2670 and 2600 for a few months, and ended up purchasing a 2600. For us personally it came down to having a bit more margin of comfort for towing vs some of the extra comforts and layout. Love both layouts of trailers, but the extra weight (and cost) of the 2670 was a bit too much for us. It's just the two of us and one large dog, we've never been anywhere warm enough for a 2nd AC ;-)
    If we already had a larger truck it might have been a different story, but we're really happy with the space & storage in the 2600.
    Mike & Kari Hutchison
    Victoria, BC
    2019 Imagine 2600RB
    2018 GMC Sierra SLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2018 2670MK and tow it with a 2015 Ford F-150, 3.5 Ecoboost, tow package, 3.55 gears and it does a good job but I wouldn’t want to pull anything bigger. Power is fine, the truck is a little light.

First pulling it with a half ton. When we bought this and jumped from a small Jayco to this trailer we had a lot of sway with our old Husky TS hitch so it was time to upgrade the truck. When big trucks blew by it would get the trailer swaying and set off the truck’s anti-sway system, not a good feeling. We added a ProPride 3P hitch, put Michelin LT tires on, and added Timbren SES system to rear axle. Once I got the hitch set up properly it towed great. Sean at ProPride goes out of his way to help set up your hitch. I found not to go by what Ford recommends and I bring the front down 1/4” lower than unloaded which gives a very level and stable tow. The way Ford recommends makes the front end too light and sets you up for trailer sway. Before the trailer threw the truck around, now the truck is in control.

Recently I had tire damage on the trailer so I decided to replace the Westlake with 9700 miles with Goodyear Endurance, great decision. While the tires were off I decided to check the spring bushings and they were worn completely through so I decided to upgrade the suspension. The stock equalizer was replaced with a Dexter E-Z Flex Equalizer (direct replacement), it got the MORryde bronze bushings heavy duty shackles and wet bolts, the MORryde X-Factor Crossmember, and the SumoSprings for trailers. Now the trailer is rock solid and most of the time you don’t realize it is back there, even on bumps. There is also no big truck suck. Only on occasions when one is blowing by will you feel a very slight pull. We even pulled in 20 MPH crosswinds and felt nothing. Great upgrades, I recommend them to anyone pulling a trailer. I am even getting about 1 MPG better mileage.

We have the second AC and the 50 amp service. It is great to have but just be aware the front AC is not ducted to the rest of the trailer and does not have a wall mounted thermostat, it works more like a window AC. When the compressor kicks off the unit continues to run so it can pump moist air into the camper. What we use it for is to rapidly cool the camper when we get to our camp site then we turn it off and the main AC is more than is enough to keep the camper cool. The 50 amp service makes it worth it, we never have electrical problems like we did with our 30 amp camper.
    Fully loaded we are a little over 8000lbs with a tongue weight right under 1000lbs so we are over 12% which works well. Our truck has a 1750lbs payload so that is not a problem.

If it was time for a new truck I would by a 350/3500 and not worry about it, a 1 ton will give you better options for future upgrades. If you have a fairly new 1/2 ton and don’t want the hassles of a bigger truck or upgrading, the 1/2 ton will handle the trailer if set up properly. When I first started towing the trailer I thought I had made a big mistake. After a little time and educating myself I have learned what I needed to do to make a very stable towing experience. Before I upgraded the truck I towed below 60 MPH and really slowed down on windy days. After upgrading the truck I can tow at any speed, normally 65 to 67 MPH. The upgrades to the trailer made it even better. Some say not to spend the money and just get a bigger truck. I did not want to get rid of my 1/2 ton and was not ready for a bigger truck and I am glad I did not upgrade. The 1/2 ton is more than capable if properly set up.

Sorry so long but hope this helps,
    Dale
    Last edited by Dale G; 07-22-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Estrench, be careful for what you wish for, heat and humidity are overrated, Lol. Florida this time of year has an ample supply of both. I have skied around Banff and love the area, can't wait to travel that way in the summer. I am confident that my truck can pull
    either the 2600 or 2670. Not to mention, that with all the information I now have from everyone here, it comes down to preference. When I started this thread, I was worried about if my truck would be sufficient. I love my truck, and buying a new one, wasn't an option. I now feel that with a few tweaks
    with the 2670, I could safely tow it. Being employed with "Big Brown" the last 36 yrs, I understand that having the right equipment makes a big difference in driving trucks and towing. Being new to TT's, you all have been a great help in the equipment needed to be safe in towing with the truck " I have". I feel (IMHO) that the driver is also a big part in using that equipment to be safe. Again, Thank you ALL for your input, I hope to post in the coming weeks which trailer we have decided on.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by U2skier View Post
    Just want to start out by saying what a great wealth of knowledge you all have. I have researched and watched youtube and feel more confused than ever( doesn't take much). We have picked out the
    2670MK, love the layout, size, and yes even the "new" interior. The problem is I am having second thoughts on the size and weight. On paper, it looks ok, but I know that is different than actually towing.
    The 2600RB is a strong contender because it drops us down on length and weight a bit. But it lacks a second AC in bedroom and 50 amp service. It is also lacks a fireplace ( wife wants one). My questions are these;

1). Those of you with a 2600RB, do you wish you had that 2nd AC in bedroom?
    2). Is that an option? I don't see where it is offered.
    3). Length and weight vs. everything we would "like" to have in a TT (2670mk)
    or should I not even consider the "wants" and go with towability?

Truck is a 2019 5th gen RAM Bighorn, 5.7L , 8 speed, 4x4 with off road package and tow package, hill decent. GVWR 7100; cargo capacity 1611 (door sticker); towing 11240; GCWR 17000.
    Passengers will be "the wife", myself and 2 dogs @ 70lbs.

Towing in FLA, and up to our property in NC, for the most part.

Thanks so much for any thoughts you may have.
    I have a 2600rb and I don't miss the 2nd ac. I'm in hot humid FL, and the one 15k unit does fine. As for the fireplace, I wanted one but only for the heater part. The visual aspect is of little consequence to me. I added the coleman-mach electric heat strip to my A/C. It is an option from the coleman factory, but GD doesn't use it. It's a 5000btu strip that looks like a weak electric dryer. It works about as well as you'd expect. We've tested it down to the mid 50s and it kept the camper reasonably warm (65-68ish). It won't make the camper hot. For that you have the furnace which works quite well, though it's inefficient compared to a home unit.

As for towing, we have similarly spec'd trucks. It tows well, but it feels about as big as I'd ever like to tow with this truck. I added a Roadmaster Active Suspension kit to my truck to help the rear suspension cope with the tongue weight.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olddog View Post
    Hi, I have a 2018 2600RB. The thermostat is located in my bed room. I was just in PA. 98 degrees with humidity. Thermostat set at 75 and kitchen area about 73 according to indoor thermometer.
    The weight of my trailer with trailer gear (chocks, chair, hoses, cables, propane, etc...) is 6380.
    Then I'd have to add weight of cloths and food. So were looking at about 6580.
    I'm towing with a 2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Ext Cab 6.0L 4:10 rear. The Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (According to Chevy) is 20500 lbs. This truck weights (full gas, some tools and odds and ends, w/o driver) 6820. Add me and we're at 7030 lbs. 20500-7030 means I can tow 13,470 (and not exceed the GCVWR) not the 14000 lbs stated in the paperwork.
    Now it might seem I have way too much truck. That is, until you need to climb steep, long grades.
    Good luck with your new trailer. Be safe!
    I use a 2015 2500HD 6.0 also. There is no such thing as too much truck. I have given some thought that if I ever get one of those mega 5th wheel RV's in the future, I will just take my Class 8 Semi tractor, drop one of the drive axles, and use it to move the 5er around when I need to. I will not use a little 1 ton for the job. I will have more that enough truck for the job, far more room in it (I can literally stand up while driving the truck and switch drivers while moving down the road if I want), built in DC compressor fridge in the truck, 70 in sleeper berth, and there is not a mountain pass that I couldn't get over better than any 1 ton diesel. 12.7L and and 18 speed with a real jake brake, not some meek exhaust brake.

I have had 3/4 tons for decades. I did the foray into 1/2 ton territory several years ago and found I was inventing new swear words. Went back to 3/4 ton. Thing is, a base 3/4 ton will out perform any 1/2 ton and cost substantially less. I got my new 2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0, LT Z71, snow plow prep, 5w/Gooseneck prep, 9500 GVWR, 13500 Tow, 20,500 GCWR for $38,000 out the door. No max tow 1/2 ton with all the options can match the capability and certainly will cost more than I paid.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 08-24-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did finally drive the 70 miles to the dealer today and look over the new 2020 interiors of a 2450RL, 2500RL, 2600RB, and 2670MK. Got it narrowed down to 2600RB and 2670MK. The tow vehicle part is already settled by having the 2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0.

The new interiors along with some other various changes and the Imagine line really is in top form. I was also considering a couple if Jayco Whitehawk models and a Coachman Freedom Express Liberty model. They are not in the running anymore.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 2670MK and tow it with a 2019 Tundra SR5 TRD with the tow package. We just towed it over Berthoud Pass here in Colorado and the truck had absolutely no issues. The tongue weight, loaded for camping, with 5 gallons of fresh water and nothing in the holding tanks is 910 lbs. based on my tongue weight scale. You will find some postings in here about the 2670MK actually being light in the tongue due to the kitchen and desk being in the rear of the camper. Some people have actually had to buy a P3 Propride hitch due to a light tongue weight. I suppose it all depends on how you pack your trailer. I actually met 3 people this weekend pulling Grand Designs with 1/2 tons. One was pulling an Imagine 2950 with a 1/2 ton Ford and the other was puling a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton Tundra. Both were happy with the towing capabilities of their 1/2 tons. Of course a lot also depends on your towing capabilities, or comfort level, with towing large/long trailers.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123