User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Reflection Travel Trailer - Check your battery box

I just got done replacing the electrical converter and battery on my 8 month old Reflection 315RLTS.

Going back a little over a month, I arrived to our seasonal site to find the battery dead and the converter tripped. Turned the breaker back on and everything seemed to be working ok.

Checked a couple days later and the battery meter would only show 3 lights so I went out to check the battery and found the battery box the dealer installed completely full of water up to the battery terminals. I dumped the battery box out and drilled some holes in the bottom so that wouldn't happen again and hooked everything back up.

A week later was still only showing 3 lights on the battery meter but all seemed well.

This week the battery was down to one light so I did some additional trouble shooting. Apparently when the converter breaker tripped the first time it was because the battery box was full of water, it also shorted out the converter so not only was the cooling fan not working (the converter was very hot to the touch), the battery had gone bad as well.

I installed a new converter and battery yesterday and all is back to normal.

The moral of my story is to check your battery box and make sure it has drain holes in the bottom so the water running off the nose of the trailer does not fill it up and short your system out!
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC315RLTS View Post
    I just got done replacing the electrical converter and battery on my 8 month old Reflection 315RLTS.

Going back a little over a month, I arrived to our seasonal site to find the battery dead and the converter tripped. Turned the breaker back on and everything seemed to be working ok.

Checked a couple days later and the battery meter would only show 3 lights so I went out to check the battery and found the battery box the dealer installed completely full of water up to the battery terminals. I dumped the battery box out and drilled some holes in the bottom so that wouldn't happen again and hooked everything back up.

A week later was still only showing 3 lights on the battery meter but all seemed well.

This week the battery was down to one light so I did some additional trouble shooting. Apparently when the converter breaker tripped the first time it was because the battery box was full of water, it also shorted out the converter so not only was the cooling fan not working (the converter was very hot to the touch), the battery had gone bad as well.

I installed a new converter and battery yesterday and all is back to normal.

The moral of my story is to check your battery box and make sure it has drain holes in the bottom so the water running off the nose of the trailer does not fill it up and short your system out!
    Thanks for the tip. I have noticed that the water running off of the nose of my 297RSTS goes in the one vent at the top and has caused the connection on my battery cable to rust. I will check this out too.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada