User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking for a 5th wheel 35’ or less, and I like the Solitudes. We do not plan to full time, and we plan to get a SRW truck to tow our vacation home (which I know limits us.) Expect to buy truck and RV in 2020. I was near the St. Louis Grand Design dealer on 7/23/2019 so decided to stop by and compare Solitudes 310GK ($84,564 MSRP) to 2930RL ($75,582). These were almost side by side, with only a 3350RL ($79,614) between them. All units were 2019, but I did not look for build dates. I was there from about 9:30 to 10:30 am. Outside temperature was around 75-80°F with a UV Index around 5 at that time of morning. (Last week at this time temperatures would have been 95°F.) I am writing this from memory a day later, so there could be some mistakes. Most of this may have already been covered in earlier replies to this thread, but possibly something new.

No units had power, so ACs were not on. All windows were closed. In 310 I did not notice any temperature change from outside to inside including bedroom. 2930 had no temperature difference going from outside to main floor, but I did notice a 5 to 10°F temperature increase in the bedroom. (I wish I had thought to look at thermostat to see actual temperatures.) Cap shade was up. Bed felt warm where the sun was hitting bed. There is only one side window, so only possible chance of cross ventilation is by using bathroom fan (but currently no power.) Possibly if shade were pulled down and/or AC was running bedroom would not have been so hot. (You could also strategically park 2930 facing north in the summer and south during the winter, or park under a shade tree.)

There was lots of light in 2930 bedroom with cap window, side window, and bathroom skylight. I felt both 310 and 2930 had lots of natural light in the bedroom. Dealer did pull cap shade down (still a good amount of natural light), and noticed cap shade did not fit well in the track. During daytime, it was easy to see out of cap, but I could not see in from outside which is good. Bedroom of 2930 appears to have more room (but 310 had a king bed and 2930 did not.) I think a king bed would fit in the 2930 better than it fit in the 310.

I am not normally a fan of two door bathrooms, but I did like that the bathroom 2930 opened up the bedroom and make it look bigger, and added more light. The bathroom in 2930 had more room than the 310. The bath closet in 310 had only one deep shelf; the 2930 had maybe 4 shelves, not as deep, but more practical. Both had a 3 door slider on shower. All bathroom doors in both units are pocket sliders which is great.

The kitchen/family room of the two units were similar. The kitchen on 2930 was a little smaller than 310, I guess because of little extra space given in bedroom and bathroom in 2930. 310 has a pullout for trash and recycles; 2930 has trash can under island. The pantry in the 310 only goes up as high as the door top (because bath closet is above it); the 2930 goes all the way to the ceiling. The 310 has a door on side of island near pantry that can alternately be used for dishwasher; 2930 has three extra drawers on back of island instead. The 2930 has the optional washer and dryer hookups in kitchen rather then bedroom on 310; I like the 2930 washer dryer design better, especially for pin weight.

The 2930 has a fixed TV in family room. The 310 has a televator with a window behind it. When the televator is down, the kitchen counter top is really extended into the family room which is very nice, and the extra window is also nice. The 2930 has a kitchen skylight which the 310 does not to make up for lost window light. Both units had great natural light in the kitchen and family rooms.

Other differences 310 has are central vacuum, water filter, and fabric back on kitchen chairs (2930 are wood backs.) 310 also has extra wall between basement storage and water panel that water filter hangs on, that could prevent spraying water from getting into basement storage. As others have mentioned, 2930 has electric leveling. Central vac would be nice but I can carry a stick vac. I can also add a water filter and wall if I want to, and wood chair backs are easier to clean. 310 also has pull out under bed and top of dresser that opens in bedroom, and tile in the kitchen.

I did not bring a tape measure, but the under unit storage in the 310 and 2930 looked similar. I made the mistake of also looking in the 3350 storage since it was right there… talk about a cave! I quickly closed the storage door before I started down the slippery slope of saying, “I can go a little bigger”.

Looking at the on-line and phone app build sheets, I did not see residential fridge as an option on 2930 but I know that it is. I also did not see full body paint option on 2930, so not sure if it is or isn’t an option. I don’t see solar option on either unit yet.

All things considered, I loved both units, and have not made a decision. When the time comes, DW will make final decision, but I think we will be happy in either one.
    Last edited by The Max; 07-24-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    Future Grand Design Owner

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We upgraded from a Reflection 303 classic (build date 10/13). We wavered between the 2930 and the 310. The 2930 does have tons of kitchen storage. They are on the same frame with same GVWR.

Our deciding factor was the height of the bathroom mirror and closets in the 2930 - my husband is tall and sort of wants to see above his chest when shaving and not fold the bottom of his jackets in the closet. The 2930 we looked at was the prototype at last year's Indiana Rally.

All said, we are very happy with the 310. Really like the auto level, and the 6 point does make it more stable. Paired with a 2019 GMC Denali 3500 SRW and disc brakes on the Solitude it tows and stops great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a serious issue/concern with our 2930. The cabinet that is equipped for washing machine has a bad sulphur odor similar to our hot springs here. Please help! We sold our Reflection 337 privately and bought the 2930 with the residential refrigerator which my wife loves coming from the 8 cubic feet in the Reflection. For some reason the braking is very weak, Grand Design customer service is willing to send whatever parts needed anywhere we need them and authorize mobile service people with competence. Since we are full timing and work camping in Pagosa Springs, CO, we need prompt repair!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    We have a serious issue/concern with our 2930. The cabinet that is equipped for washing machine has a bad sulphur odor similar to our hot springs here. Please help! We sold our Reflection 337 privately and bought the 2930 with the residential refrigerator which my wife loves coming from the 8 cubic feet in the Reflection. For some reason the braking is very weak, Grand Design customer service is willing to send whatever parts needed anywhere we need them and authorize mobile service people with competence. Since we are full timing and work camping in Pagosa Springs, CO, we need prompt repair!
    I think we chatted a bit a week and a half ago at the campground outside of Pagosa Spgs. On the brakes , mine worked better after seating in , which took a few trips. They also work much better after heating up a bit. If you are using a factory RAM brake control you may need to go into the trailer settings menu and select “heavy electric”. The ‘08 may not have that option. First checks would be adjustment and amp draw at each wheel. Lastly something you don’t want to hear , a heavier truck would make a huge difference. I don’t think any electric drum braking system on a 15k lb RV is going let you to a stop like it’s not back there.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie, appreciate your input. As far as truck, correct, would love to upgrade. We selected the 2930 because it is minimally heavier than our Reflection 337, which we full timed in the Rockies for 3 years and 50000 miles. And dealt with brake issues like grease, but had decent braking after I installed forward adjusting shoes. The Solitude has about 20% of what the Reflection had. Controller ordered, will update. Adjustment is fine, need to locate my amp probe for my Fluke meter. Happy and safe journeys!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife and I actually looked at a 2930 and a 310 today - looking to upgrade from a Reflection 29RS. At the end of the day, looks like the 2930 will win out. Although 6 points of support would be nice, we can manage with 4. For our needs, the bedroom and bathroom layouts pretty much won us over. Kitchens in both are much bigger than our 29RS and the pantry in the 2930 is to die for. For just the two of us, looks like the 2930 will be the winner. Although the passthru is smaller than the 310, with the larger garage and organized properly, we should actually be able to store as much if not a little more. Good luck to all who are trying to decide. Now we need to find a tow vehicle to match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a 2930rl this year. Love the unit but we did have a problem with a pocked door falling off and the inside trim around the bedroom front window falling out. Was installed incorrectly. Our dealer was 300 miles away so had to do repairs my self. otherwise its a nice unit.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 2020 2930RL In October 2019 and love it. We went to look at the 337 reflections but weren't too crazy about the new 2020 interior colors. We've camped about four times already and love it. The wider body makes so much difference. So glad we went with the Solitude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a difficult time deciding between the 2930RL, 310GK, and 337RLS also. We landed on the 310GK after much debating. The 2930RL bathroom we liked because it was roomy and we like the front window even though we had concerns about it being hotter. the 310GK won because the S-class and the 33RLS entry door was shorter in height than that of the standard Solitude. Also, the 6 point leveling, the retractable TV, large front closet, and residential style cook-top/oven where big winners (for us). However, the linen cabinet in the 310GK bathroom sucks, it is deep and narrow.

I think you just need to make a list of the important features you want and how they fit your life style and use. There is not a perfect RV but get as much as you can checked off on your list - even if it is $7k more, because that is cheaper than trading-in later. Been there! Good Luck with your decision.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we pick up our 2930RL-R in 11 days ... it punched 90% of all of our list ... storage-camp side windows-awning coverage-huge frig-lots of walk around space in bedroom-drop frame-big bathroom and shower ... there will be issues just hope for small ones ... no worries about heat from bedroom window that's what the thermostat is for ... brother in law has a 310 he just got 2 months ago and it is impressive but we like the bedroom in the 2930 ... he already replaced the king bed with queen for more walk around space on side and a little easier to make the bed thanks ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123