Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F350 hitch.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	21234[/ATTACH]
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    If you read it on the internet, you know that it must be true. If you’ve read it more than once, because someone just repeat what they read (because it must be true), then you really know that it must be true.

Sometimes, the only way to dispel a myth is to confront it head-on.
    I know I know, gotta love the internet. I'm sure it's a great hitch and all but with a long bed I have more and better (in my opinion only) options. I just can't see my self dropping almost 4000 pounds of pin weight on the spindly looking aluminum hitch. I'm sure others do and that's great, thank goodness we all have choices with these expensive mobile condos. To the original poster's question, I pulled my previous Reflection fifth wheel with a B&W companion turnover ball hitch and a 2017 F250 short bed, never had cab clearance issues but hitch base was heavy! The new truck has the puck system so the B&W hitch for it is easy to remove, 2 approx. 60 pound sections to lift out. This one sure looks stronger to me
    Last edited by Txfivver; 07-10-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking at a 2017 380th with the Trailair Roto-flex pin box and an Andersen gooseneck adapter on a 3500 long bed DRW with tow prep. I have two concerns. 1) It appears Andersen recommends an adapter for the Roto-flex which I believe eliminates the flex function. Is that the proper setup? and 2) I have heard no complaints from users of the Andersen for normal use but have seen some that believe it does not perform well in a collision. I am not concerned about the hitch surviving the collision, necessarily, but I would want it to keep the trailer behind me as well as a normal fifth wheel hitch.

Any comments on these concerns?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the anderson hitch also. Bought a Ram 2500 with towing prep and it is so easy to pull the trailer and use the hitch. No complaints and spent my first motnh traveling the 5 national parks in Utah. Great time, truck and trailer.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run with the Anderson hitch also. Got a 2018 303RLS, 2017 Ram 2500 with towing prep. Took trip to 5 National Parks in Utah the first month and had a great time, great truck and great RV. So easy to move the hitch out when I need the back for other duties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running a Ram 3500 SRW and have the B&W flip over ball with Companion and it's been working great for me. Pull out the Companion when I want full use of the bed while still keeping the standard 5th wheel style hitch. Granted, the thing is heavy but if you rig up a little pulley it is easy enough to pull out using only one person.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2017 303 and pull it with a 2012 GMC2500HD diesel. Truck has the B&W turnover ball and I attach the Anderson Ultimate hitch. So super easy. Very little chucking.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we just ordered the Hensley BD3F trailersaver. It is an air ride system. It cost more than the b&w companion (that we were originally sold on) by almost double. However, it will smooth out your ride with less stress on both the truck and the trailer, with little to no chucking.
    Now, we haven’t received it yet, but I haven’t heard of anyone who has one give it negative reviews.
    This unit is good to 18k and 3500lb pin weight. The next size up is 28k and 5000 pin weight.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post

Name:	F350 hitch.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	21234[/ATTACH]
    I know I know, gotta love the internet. I'm sure it's a great hitch and all but with a long bed I have more and better (in my opinion only) options. I just can't see my self dropping almost 4000 pounds of pin weight on the spindly looking aluminum hitch. I'm sure others do and that's great, thank goodness we all have choices with these expensive mobile condos. To the original poster's question, I pulled my previous Reflection fifth wheel with a B&W companion turnover ball hitch and a 2017 F250 short bed, never had cab clearance issues but hitch base was heavy! The new truck has the puck system so the B&W hitch for it is easy to remove, 2 approx. 60 pound sections to lift out. This one sure looks stronger to me

Agreed I wouldn’t trade our B&W for anything. We have the same set up as yours with the pucks. Great hitch, great ride and I appreciate the fact that it is a bit weighty compared to other options. These hitches are doing a big job.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know lots of 5er owners like their Anderson (35 lbs. vs 150 for my hitch when removing from the truck bed), but I feel much more secure with the beefy 25,000 lb.-rated B&W Companion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I considered the Anderson hitch, but decided on a B&W companion slider for my 3500 Ram Short bed. I like it because it's easy to hitch up, it's beefy, and I can plainly see the jaws around the king pin. I'm not throwing shade on the Anderson - it seemed to be something new when I was buying, and not a lot of info from actual users. I will say that the weight is a big advantage that lets you remove it without a hoist.

I will say that the notion that a fifth wheel camper cannot contact your cab is bunk. My 303 contacted my cab in a tight turning situation - I had read on forums that all you needed to do was pay attention and have "situational awareness" and this could never happen, so being a complete newbie to towing a fifth wheel didn't slide it back on the first time backing in my driveway - and bam!

So the B&W is a stout hitch, doesn't chuck, and is easy to operate. Sliding does require that I get out and move the handle, but I have wheel to wheel side steps so it is easy. I then use my brake controller to lock the trailer brakes and pull forward until the handle clicks in the locked position. Backing up slid back seems easier. When in position, I again move that handle, lock the brakes and reverse until the handle locks. I don't view this procedure as a PITA. I have no bed clearance issues, and I can hook up at an angle watching that the tail gate doesn't contact the trailer.

On the down side, I need a hoist to get it out - ETrailer has a device that you lock in the jaws with a loop to hook to. I use an engine hoist borrowed from a neighbor. But I usually don't need to remove it. I have a really nice Tonneau cover to keep the rain off of it. If my truck cab cleared the top of my garage door, I'd buy an electric winch from Harbor Freight to attach to the garage ceiling.

So if you go with the Anderson, make sure it can be installed so that the front cap is as far back as possible. Good luck!

Name:	HRHI0476.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	21442
    Last edited by FatTire; 07-18-2019 at 06:03 AM.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast