User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the exact setup you are looking to buy @johndeerefarmer. 2015 F150 EcoBoost 3.5 with 3.55 rear end and a 2017 GD 2800BH. I did all the research and figured out payload capacity and max weights and on paper it looked great but in reality it was horrible. I had never towed anything before in my life so was not sure what to expect but our first drive home with the trailer empty was scary, I could not go more then 55 before I felt the truck trying to move left and right, I had plenty of power to go faster but it did not feel safe. I had the dealer look at the hitch and everything else and they said it was all setup right but I still never felt good about driving it. We took a few local trips and one major one from Texas to Kansas City, each time getting blown around on the freeway by almost every car and truck that passed. Finally we decided to trade out the F150 for a Titan XD. The difference is night and day! It's a pleasure to drive now, I can easily do 65-70 and not feel like the truck is going veer at all. I would take the other suggestions here by others and make sure that if you buy a trailer like the 2800BH you get 3/4 ton or better. The length and weight of the 2800BH does not pair well with a 1/2 ton truck even thought GD markets it that way.

Watch this video and at the end Mr Truck will describe the same thing I experienced, the F150 has plenty of power but due too the aluminum frame is too light and gets bounced around by the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or43trFsBwQ

Good luck!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So just to clarify to those who have experience pulling travel trailers, even if I have a nice WDH such as Equalizer on an F150 that also helps control sway, as well as the max tow package with trailer braking. Is it too dicey to haul a 32' 7,000 lb (fully loaded) travel trailer out west across the Dakota plains?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted a previous message about this but for some reason it needs a moderator to approve it. But your main issue will be with available payload on the truck. I don't know the numbers for your truck, but it will likely have about 1500 lbs. available payload when including accessories and options. Add 4 people (about 700 lbs), tongue weight (about 750-1000 lbs) and you are already over the max payload.

I am juggling numbers myself with a 2150RB and trying to figure out what can tow it... the Chevy Silverado 1500 and Ram 1500 seem to have higher payload than the F-150. 2016 Silverados I'm looking at are around 7200 GVWR while the F-150s I've seen are about 6800. I'm still trying like you to find a 1/2 ton configuration that will do it though!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNetherton View Post
    So just to clarify to those who have experience pulling travel trailers, even if I have a nice WDH such as Equalizer on an F150 that also helps control sway, as well as the max tow package with trailer braking. Is it too dicey to haul a 32' 7,000 lb (fully loaded) travel trailer out west across the Dakota plains?
    My father in law tows a similar sized trailer with a 2017 F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow (not Max Payload), and a Andersen No Sway Hitch. He finds it handles okay, and the engine has plenty of power, but he gets rocked around pretty good in heavy wind or when passed by a truck. I suggested to him that he look at going to LT tires when he is due, which is a big part of the Max Payload package. The next step after that would be a hitch designed to eliminate the sway before it happens rather than dampen it out like a Hensley or ProPride. The problem you will run into with those is the max weight the hitch on the F150 will take is 1500 pounds, which by the time you are done with your trailer tongue weight and the weight of one of those hitches you will likely be over.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    My father in law tows a similar sized trailer with a 2017 F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow (not Max Payload), and a Andersen No Sway Hitch. He finds it handles okay, and the engine has plenty of power, but he gets rocked around pretty good in heavy wind or when passed by a truck. I suggested to him that he look at going to LT tires when he is due, which is a big part of the Max Payload package. The next step after that would be a hitch designed to eliminate the sway before it happens rather than dampen it out like a Hensley or ProPride. The problem you will run into with those is the max weight the hitch on the F150 will take is 1500 pounds, which by the time you are done with your trailer tongue weight and the weight of one of those hitches you will likely be over.
    ncnitro makes a really good point here. A Propride or Hensley will eat another 190lbs of your truck's available payload.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the big picture here is considering overall use of the truck. I know 250s/350s obviously handle much better towing but just aren't a realistic use for me considering I will not be towing 95% of the time. I guess the question is trying to find the right F150 that is equipped with plenty of payload to move that weight closer to the truck. This info has been helpful. So much to consider.
    I don`t know what truck you are using now but I had a 2006 F150 then a 2013 F150 before the 250 I have now. Yes it sets higher and is longer but it drives every bit as good as the other 2. I personal will never buy another F150 after getting use to this one it is my favorite truck of all the ones I have owned and I had quite a few.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
    I don`t know what truck you are using now but I had a 2006 F150 then a 2013 F150 before the 250 I have now. Yes it sets higher and is longer but it drives every bit as good as the other 2. I personal will never buy another F150 after getting use to this one it is my favorite truck of all the ones I have owned and I had quite a few.
    The more I mull over the options, the more I am leaning toward safety and towing comfort and less about fuel. Now that we have this trailer to pull, I would rather make it to/from my destination with no worries than get a couple extra mpg's the rest of the year. Prices actually are not that far apart on used 150 vs. 250. I just need to do a test drive in both (and in the Ram and Silverado 1500 and 2500) and see if the HD trucks are as comfortable for longer trips, and whether my wife can easily get in/out of them. Oh, and whether they fit in my garage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately way too many people try to make a half ton do the job & spend a lot of time, energy, money to end up frustrated because they are afraid of the gas mileage. I tried the same thing, airbags, expensive hitch, LT tires & in the end towing was still a chore. When I finally bit the bullet I went all in with a diesel 1 ton & towing went from two hands with white knuckles to one hand relaxed conversation with the family.

It stinks but the reality is that the purchase cost of a gas 3/4 ton isn’t much more than a half ton most of the times, the big 3 are getting outrageous prices for their trucks but the half tons are the most desirable so they fetch the highest price. The gas mileage isn’t as good as they claim with most half tons, the eco boost being the exception then you add the cost of the expensive hitches, upgraded tires, air bags, etc & what have you really saved? Yes, a gas 3/4 ton rides rougher unloaded & has worse gas mileage but I wonder by how much? How many people have really put the paper to the pencil & figured it out? I use the fuely app so I know exactly how much my diesel costs me to run (too much) & I’m not sure it’s actually worth it based on fuel costs, oil changes, filters, etc BUT I wanted a diesel. All things being equal I think it would cost less to run a gas 3/4 ton than my diesel & most if not all half tons even with the (supposed) poor fuel economy.

For the record....my 2015 F350 CCSB with the 6.7l diesel has averaged 12.48 MPG over the last 13 months of tracking it (7992 miles) Average cost of a gallon being $3.008 equaling a total of $1965.88 spent on fuel over the last 13 months/7992 miles.
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take your payload sticker, subtract everything (including you but not including fuel) that goes into or on the truck. Hitch, mates, kids, dog, generator, etc. Take what’s left over and divide by .13. That is the total max loaded weight of a trailer that you can haul and reasonably be assured that you are within the limits.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the big picture here is considering overall use of the truck. I know 250s/350s obviously handle much better towing but just aren't a realistic use for me considering I will not be towing 95% of the time. I guess the question is trying to find the right F150 that is equipped with plenty of payload to move that weight closer to the truck. This info has been helpful. So much to consider.
    The answer is go with the F150 with the 3.5 engine and make sure it has the Max Tow and RV packages. Most likely, the truck will have to be ordered because Max Tow trucks are seldom seen in stock on dealer lots. Lastly, go for one of those premium hitches with good antisway to tow a heavy travel trailer. That's another subject matter that's often discussed on this forum.

I used to have a standard set of load leveling 10K lb. bars on my hitch and a standard friction sway control. When a heavy truck passed me, I was in fear of being sucked across a lane. I used it on my 3/4 ton diesel later, and it wasn't as bad. But long distance travel is so much better when you have a proper hitch.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast