Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F150 Towing Recommendations

Hi All,

We are rookie travel trailer campers (long time tent camper). Saving for our first truck and travel trailer (GD Imagine 2800BH).

My questions are specific to folks who have towed with an F150 and seeking their input/experiences. We are debating on whether to purchase the 3.5L V6 vs. 5.0 V8 and looking for feedback.

We are young family, 30+ years from retirement, so this truck will be my daily commuter to work in addition to occasional summer travels across country visiting national parks. I am not interested in the F250, 350, etc. due to this being daily commuter, so if you can only please provide feedback related to the F150, it would be appreciated.

Have done research, but now want feedback from those who have actually towed with the F150 V6 Ecoboost or V8 engines.

Our payload will at times be ~2,000lbs I am guessing when you factor weight such as firewood, kayaks, gear, etc.

I have done some research and determined the following:

3.5L V6 Ecoboost Pros:
    Better fuel economy
    Better towing capacity
    Lower RPMs (quieter engine) when towing in difficult climates.

5.0L V8 Pros:
    Better payload capacity
    History of solid reliable engine
    Better displacement going down hills (less braking)

With all of that said, can you provide me guidance on what you think would be best? This is a HUGE investment for us, we are saving and plan to pay cash and I don't want to screw this up, as you can tell from my anal attention to detail above. Thanks all for the feedback.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 3.5 ecoboost with the long bed and crew cab. Love the truck and it pulls my current camper perfect. Current camper is around 5,500 pounds and roughly 26 ft. We have the tow package, but I wish I would have looked harder for the f-150 that has the heavy duty tow package. I started a thread a few weeks ago asking the same question on modifications that would help me with towing. We have the 3:55 rear end and also the 36 gallon fuel tank. I don't have plans to change trucks anytime soon.

We just got back from our summer vacation and over 2,400 miles the truck averaged 10 mpg and did a great job. Daily driving the truck gets 18 mpg in town and around 20 - 21 on the highway without the camper

Good luck
    Last edited by MOShorthair; 07-09-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2400BH tows decent behind our Escalade. The Escalade is a heavy vehicle and keeps the trailer in check but lacks in the power department. A few months back I used my father-in-law's F150 EcoBoost to tow the trailer 1100 miles to CA and have several "OH SH*T" moments when we passed big rigs or got caught in strong side winds. The numbers all worked for me, the EcoBoost has plenty of power, payload, and towing but I felt like the trailer was pushing me around way too much. My trailer weighs 1,000 less than the 2800BH empty and is 4 feet shorter. I ended up with an F-250.

You don't mention a location in your profile so I'm not sure where you are planning on towing. If you're in a very flat area and plan on staying in the flats you might be fine.

Here's the guys at Fast Lane Truck doing their EcoBoost vs V8 MPG comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgi01ednxXM

And for the love of everything holy, please don't let anyone talk you into adding airbags: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in Indiana (flat) but plan to travel out west to National Parks in addition to northern Michigan (frequently travel to Ludington which has some decent hills) but would prefer to feel confident when driving in mountains as well. Appreciate the feedback.
    Last edited by NNetherton; 07-09-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MOShorthair View Post
    I have the 3.5 ecoboost with the long bed and crew cab. Love the truck and it pulls my current camper perfect. Current camper is around 5,500 pounds and roughly 26 ft. We have the tow package, but I wish I would have looked harder for the f-150 that has the heavy duty tow package. I started a thread a few weeks ago asking the same question on modifications that would help me with towing. We have the 3:55 rear end and also the 36 gallon fuel tank. I don't have plans to change trucks anytime soon.

We just got back from our summer vacation and over 2,400 miles the truck averaged 10 mpg and did a great job. Daily driving the truck gets 18 mpg in town and around 20 - 21 on the highway without the camper

Good luck
    Did some research and does appear there is a Heavy Duty Payload Package, different from the Max Tow Package. Something to consider for sure. Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by NNetherton; 07-09-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it true that the longer the trailer, the less sway you will encounter? The 2800BH is 32', weighing around 7,000 lbs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the additional payload you said being 2k and the size and length of the trailer; I would consider a gas 3\4 ton. Not that much more in price and a solid tow platform with the payload you are looking for. The longer the trailer the more the wind will effect it as will the height. And the max tow is a different animal from the heavy duty. You probably want find the max tow at any dealer lot and would have to order one.
    Last edited by Retired Copper; 07-09-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNetherton View Post
    Is it true that the longer the trailer, the less sway you will encounter? The 2800BH is 32', weighing around 7,000 lbs.
    No, the sway comes from an improperly loaded trailer. For example, if you try to distribute your weight towards the rear of you trailer due to insufficient payload capacity of your truck.

Here's a visual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjunior View Post
    No, the sway comes from an improperly loaded trailer. For example, if you try to distribute your weight towards the rear of you trailer due to insufficient payload capacity of your truck.

Here's a visual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q
    Thanks Peter. Payload capacity is pretty serious stuff to consider after watching that. Looks like the F150 V8 and 3.5L V6 both get comparable payload capacity (2,080 vs. 2,050 for supercrew 4x4 shortbed). Payload does goes up to around 2,500 lbs on the long bed. Something to consider for sure.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the big picture here is considering overall use of the truck. I know 250s/350s obviously handle much better towing but just aren't a realistic use for me considering I will not be towing 95% of the time. I guess the question is trying to find the right F150 that is equipped with plenty of payload to move that weight closer to the truck. This info has been helpful. So much to consider.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast