User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information, now I have more data.

It's a 30 amp pedestal. I have a 30amp to 50amp pig tail converter on it. I when to the the pedestal with my multi-meter to measure the V's. Just to show how ignorant I am on this subject my mult-meter said E. I then switched the switch from DC to AC.

My EMS was reading 125 on line 1 and 127 on line 2. Cut the breaker, pulled the plug, turned the breaker back on, put the black needle into the round hole and put the red needle into one slanted hole, 125.7. Good, put the reg needle into the other slanted hole, 0. Put one needle in one slanted hole and the other in the other slanted hole, 127.

Didn't think to put the three light tester on it, I'll do that in a little bit.

It doesn't appear that my EMS needs adjusting.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post

It's a 30 amp pedestal. I have a 30amp to 50amp pig tail converter on it. I when to the the pedestal with my multi-meter to measure the V's. Just to show how ignorant I am on this subject my mult-meter said E. I then switched the switch from DC to AC.

My EMS was reading 125 on line 1 and 127 on line 2. Cut the breaker, pulled the plug, turned the breaker back on, put the black needle into the round hole and put the red needle into one slanted hole, 125.7. Good, put the reg needle into the other slanted hole, 0. Put one needle in one slanted hole and the other in the other slanted hole, 127.

Didn't think to put the three light tester on it, I'll do that in a little bit.

It doesn't appear that my EMS needs adjusting.

Those voltages sound like they are in the proper place for a 30 amp, 3 wire connection. One Hot (120VAC) 1 neutral and 1 ground. The questions are if the 125.7VAC is on the right leg (probably is) and why it is 125 when it should be 120VAC? Although 125 should not be high enough to hurt anything.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might know an electrical engineer who has done that once or twice

Numbers you are seeing look good. Actual line voltage is chosen when the transformer is connected, and they generally tap a little high to compensate for the load. Check it about 3pm on a hot day when everybody is running the A/C hard.

My EMS was reading 125 on line 1 and 127 on line 2. Cut the breaker, pulled the plug, turned the breaker back on, put the black needle into the round hole and put the red needle into one slanted hole, 125.7. Good, put the reg needle into the other slanted hole, 0.
    Neutral to ground should read close to zero. Hot to either neutral or ground should be about 120V
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put the 30amp to 20amp adapter on the post and plugged in my little three light tester. It shows shorts, open ground, etc. But it gave me a "normal" indication, no shorts, no open ground.

So the single 125v fluctuates, it goes high around 10am when all the coffee pots get turned off and no A/C is running, our EMS shuts it down. As people start to check in and get hooked up the V's start dropping, once it gets below 132 our power comes back on. Then we are pretty good until the next morning when everyone starts to unplug and pack up. Kind of an interesting cycle.

So here's my take on what is happening. The park and utility provider recognize that the park is over utilized, (no confirmation of this theory, just my thoughts). They make an adjustment so more juice is provided after campers complain of brown outs. When load is low V's is high, as load increases V's decrease.

It's only because I have a higher end EMS that I see this. Would it have caused serious damage? I think not, I have not heard of any damage (host gossip channel), no sparks, meltdowns, fires observed.

So in the end I have decided that there is not a significant problem. It aint right but it aint wrong. Ok, a little wrong, but not horrible wrong.

Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why you use an EMS
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For starters before drawing any conclusions, measure the voltage with a real volt meter. Id not trust the ems to be real accurate. Nominal voltage is 117.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to add a comment or 2 to this post. As a lineman / trouble man for my career, I've had my share of (nightmares) trouble calls in RV parks when they started putting 2 AC units, microwaves, TV's etc. in RV's. 132 volts is extremely high and I would not plug an RV into that. The allowable voltages should be between 114 and 124 volts. Not sure what is allowable where you are but I would think it is probably close. A lot of times the utility company will put a regulator on the feeder going into the park and it will automatically adjust the voltages as the load goes up and down. You could try calling the power co. where you are located and see if they will send someone out to check it. I'm sure a Trouble man/woman that works that area will be very familiar with your problem. Please let us know how you make out.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you are just too close to the dam where the electric comes from Dallas. (ha ha)

How is the kayak thing going? And how much longer will you be up there? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12