User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone had the pleasure of replacing wet/damaged floor in basement?

As luck would have it, a rainwater leak on the curb side basement access door caused substantial water damage to the subflooring in the basement. I have temporarily bridged the damage section of the floor with a 3/4" piece of plywood, while I devise a plan for moving forward with a repair.

Anyone have any experience with doing this type of repair?

Any suggestions? Words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem on the driver’s side and am trying to devise a plan as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My repair will be on the driver's side as well.

Just thinking out loud...my repair will run from front of pass-through storage to the water enclosure (maybe 24"). I think the overall dimensions of the patch would be 6-8 ft x 24" wide. Matching the thickness of existing flooring will be the trick. Maybe marine plywood, or treated plywood.

1) peel back the flooring (it will hide the splice)
    2) locate the cross members / trusses and determine how wide they are (eg:2" wide).
    3) set depth of circular saw to match thickness of existing decking and cut same direction as cross-member
    4) cut out water-rotted flooring
    5) this is where my plan falls apart! In a wood stud floor, i'd add a cripple between the beams to add support for the ends of the plywood. With metal trusses, I'm not sure how to accomplish that same feat!

And I'm not sure "how" the decking was secured to the metal trusses...another point to ponder...SMH...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what rigs you are working on, so your passthru floor may be different than mine.
    I guess you need to take a look to see what support your floors have.

My basement floor has the aluminum trusses supporting it.
    My passthru floor is a few inches lower w/o any aluminum floor trusses below it.
    On my FW I had to support the passthru floor where it meets the basement aluminum floor truss.
    The floor was sagging at the rear edge as it has no support under it in between the frame rails b/c of black and gray tanks below it.
    I found my black tank and gray tank run about 3' under the passthru floor from the basement with a truss between the frame rails near the front of the tanks.

My passthru floor rests on the left and right frame rails.
    The front of the floor rests on the front compartment angle iron and on the truss that goes left/right near the front of the tanks.

Truss near the front of black and gray tanks:

Passthru floor supported by front compartment angle iron:

Passthru floor rear edge ready to pull up with brackets:

Rear edge brackets and angle support:
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene;

Thanks much for the pictures! I've a 2017 397TH.

Does the subflooring just rest on the truss/support (in the pic "passthrough floor supported...")? No screws?

ANy guess as the distance from the front support angle iron, to the next truss/support (going towards the back of the coach)? 16" on center? 24" on center?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics. I have a 2016 397th that I will dive into next weekend.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureRider View Post
    Gene;

Thanks much for the pictures! I've a 2017 397TH.

Does the subflooring just rest on the truss/support (in the pic "passthrough floor supported...")? No screws?

Any guess as the distance from the front support angle iron, to the next truss/support (going towards the back of the coach)? 16" on center? 24" on center?
    Since you have a Toy Hauler vs my Reflection, I would expect some differences in the frames.

I'd measured the truss to the I beam frame front end at 40.75", so my front compartment floor is 18.5"D, so I guess the truss is ~22" from the front angle iron.
    Been a couple of years since I took those photos, I do recall a couple of Ramset powder type concrete nails fixing the floor to the I beam frame rail. No fastener of the front angle iron.
    The truss is just in front on my tanks, then the next truss is at the other end of the tanks past the basement aluminum floor framing.

Same truss, the tank(s) forward side:
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Floor repair

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Thanks for the pics. I have a 2016 397th that I will dive into next weekend.

Walter;

When you start digging into your "project", would you mind posting some pics?

Especially interested the distance from the front support angle iron, to the next truss/support (going towards the back of the coach)? 16" on center? 24" on center?

Thanks...and good luck!

Walt