Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Momentum 21G

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    opsmdev,
    The most important rating for a truck is the max payload. That 1200 lb. hitch weight is carried as payload.
    My last truck was a Tundra double cab, max pay load was 1531 lbs. and towing capacity 10,300 lbs. Should tow My 21G with no problem but after subtracting
    1200 lbs. hitch weight from 1531 lbs. available payload that left 331 lbs. for wife, kids, dog. weight distributing hitch and bars hanging off the back, the after market accessories I added, step rails, bed liner and bed cover plus tool box with tools and firewood. The truck would of towed the trailer but due to the mushy p-rated tires and being overloaded by 500 to 600 lbs. it wouldn't be safe for me and my family or anyone else out there on the road.
    I now tow with a 2500 diesel that only has 2212 lbs. payload but it has LT tires that can be inflated to 80 lbs.
    All I was trying to tell you is that you need a truck with adequate payload to carry the hitch weight plus every thing else that you load in or on the truck.
    That 1200 lb. hitch weight can be lowered by adding toys or weight to the rear of the TT but I don't know how much the TW is reduced.
    Larry
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Subvet0615 View Post
    opsmdev,
    The most important rating for a truck is the max payload. That 1200 lb. hitch weight is carried as payload.
    Yep. Until you understand that, you’ll have a hard time understanding what most of us are talking about.
    2019 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L
    2017 Polaris RZR 1000XP
    Next - Momentum? ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks like plenty for a 21G. Again, please show me where I'm wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford F150.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	24353

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the "maximum" towing and pay load for a properly equipped truck (cab size, engine, rearend, etc. However, unless you special ordered your truck with the 3.73 rear end then your truck is not going to meet the "maximum" towing and payload. Again, you have to look at the data plate on your driver's door jamb.....it's the telling story. This is the kind of information where a lot of people go wrong.....it's merely a truck mfg. bragging what could be.

FYI.....the reason it's in the driver's door jamb of all places it could be is the same reason a travel trailer or 5th wheel data plate is also on the street side near the front.......for ease of the highway patrol to locate it when they pull you over if they believe you're towing to illegally or if you're involved in an accident.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now we're just going in circles. If you look on the previous page, the same thing was said. And at the same time I asked, "Why would I buy a truck that wouldn't pull the trailer I want to buy?"
    That half-ton and that payload/towing capability is available. My question is why would that not safely pull a 21G? I keep being told a half ton won't pull one and then when I provide these numbers and ask if there's any problem, I get this "special order" stuff rather than an answer to my question.

Oh, and just to get this on record, yes, I know it's on the door jab, just as the trailer will need to be actually weighed, but having neither the truck, nor the trailer yet, my question is based on manufacturer's numbers rather than specific units.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by opsmdev View Post
    Now we're just going in circles. If you look on the previous page, the same thing was said. And at the same time I asked, "Why would I buy a truck that wouldn't pull the trailer I want to buy?"
    That half-ton and that payload/towing capability is available. My question is why would that not safely pull a 21G? I keep being told a half ton won't pull one and then when I provide these numbers and ask if there's any problem, I get this "special order" stuff rather than an answer to my question.

Oh, and just to get this on record, yes, I know it's on the door jab, just as the trailer will need to be actually weighed, but having neither the truck, nor the trailer yet, my question is based on manufacturer's numbers rather than specific units.
    I can't answer that question for you any more than I could answer it for all the people that have bought a truck that couldn't pull the RV they were pulling. I can only assume that they didn't crunch all of the numbers. If you crunch all the numbers you'll be able to answer your own questions.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opsmdev,
    All JCZhome and I am trying to tell you is do your home work. Print out the towing guide that JCZhome referenced in a previous post and study it. When you go shopping for that new truck tell the salesman "I want to only look at trucks that have max towing and max payload" and if he says this blue one meets your requirements then make him prove it and make sure you look at that door sticker. That salesman will lie to you because he don't know crap about the truck he's trying to sell you.
    Just as a reference I looked at the 2019 RAM 1500 towing guide, couldn't find a 2020 guide, For 12,750 lbs. towing requires that the truck be equipped with the 3.92 rear differential ratio and then the max payload was listed as 1830 lbs. JMHO that's just not enough payload capacity for my 21G and all that I load on a truck for my camping trips.
    On the Ford towing guide page 15, study the chart, but the actual required equipment needed are hidden in notes 3 and 4.
    Also checkout page 24. Honest I'm only trying to help you prevent the mistakes I made because that salesman told me, sure It'll tow that Trailer.
    Larry
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by opsmdev View Post
    ...That half-ton and that payload/towing capability is available. My question is why would that not safely pull a 21G? I keep being told a half ton won't pull one and then when I provide these numbers and ask if there's any problem, I get this "special order" stuff rather than an answer to my question. Oh, and just to get this on record, yes, I know it's on the door jab, just as the trailer will need to be actually weighed, but having neither the truck, nor the trailer yet, my question is based on manufacturer's numbers rather than specific units.
    I think what others are trying to share with you is you really can't use the numbers that the truck manufacturers publish because they are very misleading. They show max available towing capabilities for trucks that basically nobody buys. For example - single cab, 2WD base models with few if any options. How many people buy those? The reality is the actual payload and towing numbers for the typical half ton truck (CC, 4WD, etc) is lower. An F-150 is a great truck but has limitations for towing - mostly because of limited payload.

If you plan to tow with an F-150, I would recommend going to your nearest Ford dealer and look for trucks that are similar to the model you are interested in (same engine, driveline, cab, rear gear ratio and tow package). Then open the driver's door and look at the payload rating. For kicks, compare that to the published data.

Having said all of this...
    Just about any truck can pull anything. The real question is do you want to do it safely and within the ratings of your truck? Two TOTALLY different things that many people new to towing miss.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have access to your truck's VIN (perhaps on-line with your insurance company), you can drop it into one of these VIN decoders and get the specs for your specific truck:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Ford

Payloads and towing capacities have increased dramatically over the past 7 years...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys we're answering to two different people. OPSMDEV jumped in on a thread and a question CONNORHEA asked as the OP (original poster).

If you go back to Reply #15 above (on this page) and read it again, OPSMDEV doesn't even own a truck yet. Unless he buys "new" and orders it to reach the maximum numbers posted by Ford, he will be hard pressed to find a late model "used" truck to meet those numbers. I shopped for six weeks in a nationwide search for a crewcab, 3.5 Ecoboost, 6.5' bed, FX-4 and Max Tow Package. My search was for 2016 or newer with less than 60,000 miles on it (a couple came up that had 75k-100k miles). I finally found one in Sacramento (I was in Grand Junction, Colorado) 35k mi. but it was not the Lariat that I wanted. It was the F-150, 3.5L Ecoboost, FX-4, 6.5' bed, crewcab with 502A equipment package and the Ford Max. Tow pkg.......so it had everything that the Lariat had (console shift, etc.) except the leather. After six weeks or so of hunting, I made the trip to California and made the deal.

OPSMDEV I wish you good luck in finding the truck that meets these maximum numbers!

I do know somebody that bought a new F-350 and Momentum 376TH after seeing mine. He bought a single rear wheel.....thinking all 1 tons are created equal. I showed him the numbers on his truck and the Momentum 376Th.....he ended up buying a second F-350, a DUALLY, three months apart. Why would somebody buy a truck that will not pull their trailer? All I can tell you is it happens far to often.

JC
    Last edited by JCZhome; 01-18-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast